"Plan B" build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > "Plan B" build thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

This Jeep is not quite in my possession yet. But I'll be bringing up to par for my son. He is truly a skateboard freak and Plan B is one of his favorite brands, plus his name is Brandon and he was the second child. So yes, Plan B happens to be his nickname as well.

0818142028a-1.jpg

This little beauty is a '90 4.0/auto 4x4 with 266k on the clock, but it runs great and everything crucial seems to be in good working order. Once I have the title in hand we'll start with a buff and wax, clean the chrome steels, and clean up the inside. The power windows and locks seem to be malfunctioning but that can be remedied. Seeing as how this'll be his first car I'll probably just do a 1" shackle and 30x9.50's for now.
This XJ (if it doesn't get wrecked) will be treated to all the good ideas that I won't do to my 2dr: bumpers, trimming, etc...and probably some diamond plate

Unread 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

gunna be sweet! may be worth it to go with 235s on a first car, can get more street only tires in that size
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nah, I'll get him a set of BFG/AT's in a 30x9.50 and probably a set of Ranger shackles. The snow gets deep here in the winter. If you don't have the clearance to ford through it, you just don't travel on 2/3 of the streets. Plus, I don't want him to get used to being able to drive it fast on the corners. The 30's will give just enough tipsy to teach him what it's gonna feel like when we lift it. By the time I pull the trigger on a 4.5" for my 2dr, he'll get my 3" setup.
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
Nah, I'll get him a set of BFG/AT's in a 30x9.50 and probably a set of Ranger shackles. The snow gets deep here in the winter. If you don't have the clearance to ford through it, you just don't travel on 2/3 of the streets. Plus, I don't want him to get used to being able to drive it fast on the corners. The 30's will give just enough tipsy to teach him what it's gonna feel like when we lift it. By the time I pull the trigger on a 4.5" for my 2dr, he'll get my 3" setup.
You're a good dad
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
You're a good dad
Well thanks bud. My boy has had a hard life without his mom and I feel I'm as much to blame as she is, so I owe him in a way.
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunmerboy
you're a good dad
x2

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Also i just pulled my door lock fuse when my doors started locking themselves, so going manial is always a good backup with electrical problems....

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja View Post
Also i just pulled my door lock fuse when my doors started locking themselves, so going manial is always a good backup with electrical problems....
That's one good thing with the locks in this Jeep. The lock toggles can be moved manually. The ones in my 2dr won't move manually, too tight. So ya, unless the locks and windows are a simple fix, they'll become manual.
Unread 08-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
MPETESS10

first I must commend you for doing this for your son.

for what it's worth, there is almost NO true difference in height between a 235/75/15 and a 30x9.5.
TIRERACK says 29" on the 235's and 29.5 on the 30's. .5" in overall height will equal out . .25" additional vehicle heigh/ground clearance. if he can feel a difference in "tippyness" because of a 1/4" he needs to be a professional driver because that takes some major skill
the 235's are "slightly" cheaper (about $10/tire here) but they are easier to find. in the event of a flat that cant be fixed by a patch/plug I dont want to be waiting around for a week for a special ordered tire.
MPETESS10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPETESS10 View Post
first I must commend you for doing this for your son.

for what it's worth, there is almost NO true difference in height between a 235/75/15 and a 30x9.5.
TIRERACK says 29" on the 235's and 29.5 on the 30's. .5" in overall height will equal out . .25" additional vehicle heigh/ground clearance. if he can feel a difference in "tippyness" because of a 1/4" he needs to be a professional driver because that takes some major skill
the 235's are "slightly" cheaper (about $10/tire here) but they are easier to find. in the event of a flat that cant be fixed by a patch/plug I dont want to be waiting around for a week for a special ordered tire.
I see what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure the last set of 235's I measured came in at 27". I've pulled 235's off of my first Jeep, replaced with 30's and saw a significant difference.
Anyway, not to argue, I'll check into that before I purchase, thanks.
Forgot to mention it's already sitting on some half decent 235's. Idk about elsewhere, but in MT just about every stock XJ is on 235's.
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm getting anxious to clean it up. I may just ask my uncle to front me the $$$ for the cause.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.