Picking this up this week... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Picking this up this week...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

Picking this up this week...

I'm a sucker for poor Jeeps in need of help. Especially when the price is right.

Last edited by SparkyB; 04-13-2010 at 09:26 AM..
SparkyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

wow. nice find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
jbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the steering wheel is on the wrong side you know?
jbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach View Post
I was going to fix it up and hope no one noticed.
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach View Post
its right hand drive.
probably made for a mail truck or something. but it was made from the factory that way, which makes it a good find.

Quote:
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierp89 View Post
its right hand drive.
probably made for a mail truck or something. but it was made from the factory that way, which makes it a good find.

Yeah it was used as a rural postal vehicle. 173k miles, transmission was replaced last year, body is a little rough on the "drivers" side. It overheated and now it won't run, the owner just wanted it gone and doesn't want to fool with it. So I'm helping him out. $0
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyB View Post
Yeah it was used as a rural postal vehicle. 173k miles, transmission was replaced last year, body is a little rough on the "drivers" side. It overheated and now it won't run, the owner just wanted it gone and doesn't want to fool with it. So I'm helping him out. $0

great price.. lol. i would have suspected it to be a rural truck. looks like a good start, and a 2-door. any idea why it wont run? does it turn over?

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
great price.. lol. i would have suspected it to be a rural truck. looks like a good start, and a 2-door. any idea why it wont run? does it turn over?

Yeah it turns over but won't crank. I'll get it back home and look into it further, compression check, etc. I suspected head gasket but the coolant is clean and green. Seems odd looking at the engine bay and seeing the brake cylinder and some other things switched around
Unread 08-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
jbach
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
its right hand drive.
thanks, my dry sense of humor is hard to convey through the keyboard.
jbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
theglowingbus
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Haha sweet, me and a few friends just picked up a 98 right hand drive today also but in turquoise though. Although it was just a body, we are going to make it awesome, we have some pretty huge plans.
theglowingbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

Alright got this home today and started looking into it. My stupid compression tester wasn't threaded long enough to go in. But a quick check with the radiator cap off shows that it's bubbling as it turns over. So right now I'm going forward under the assumption of it being at least a blown head gasket.
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
SparkyB
1979 CJ5 

I've been busy with a few things but I'm trying to make time to start working on this more. I NEED MOTIVATION! I got as far as cleaning the engine bay a bit and checking the interior finally. It has the hangars for the rear shoulder seatbelts but has 3 lap belts? Also check out the custom golf ball on the window handle. I may drill out another one so the drivers side will match.

Last edited by SparkyB; 04-13-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
Zembonez
2000 XJ Cherokee 

WooHoo! RHD FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cadillac
Canada has 4 seasons...Almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction
Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
jkh
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think I saw this on craigslist a while back. Nice find

'98 XJ: UpCountry, bastard pack, 2" spacers, JK shocks, 31" BFG AT's
'81 Honda GL500
Colorado Jeep Club Member #399
jkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like some really good cleaning and some TLC would fix her right up. Manual locks and windows will make going doorless a lot easier too. Nice find and hope there isn't much wrong with the engine. What year is it?
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.