People are nuts. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > People are nuts.

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

People are nuts.

I was doing my daily Jeep parts search on CL and I just had to share this: http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/pts/4018919094.html. $10,500 for a 99 XJ. Maybe if the plow on the front of it was worth $6,000...People are awesome!

Mwildmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The price isnt to far off. I'm sure its jacked up for people to heckle it down.

I've seen xj's with similar mileage go for 7-8k$ at dealerships, no plow included..
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If it has zero rust on it, is well optioned for a Sport, comes with a plow, and with that low of miles, I wouldn't be surprised if he got 8 grand for it.

I got $7,000 for my slightly beat 2001 Limited a year and a half ago. It had about 120,000 miles on it.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

$7000 is within the realm of possibility. I paid 8000 for mine 7 years and 30000 miles ago. And, IMO, the plow makes it worth less for 2 reasons: plowing is a tough job that wears lots of parts and most people don't want to look at some ugly plow frame on there all year round. Seriously, if he was asking 7000 I'd consider giving 6000.
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I usually get super lucky when I pick up Jeeps.

Last fall I paid $2,000 for my one-owner 1998 Sport. It had 173k on the clock when I bought it. The body is next to flawless with the exception of a few minor surface rust spots that have been fixed. The interior is immaculate. I have receipts dating back to day one. They pretty much took care of everything, but it's at the point where it needs all new suspension parts and other various things. I just rolled 195k on the odo yesterday.

My 99 Classic I've had for about a week. It's got a little rust here and there, the driver's side window doesn't roll down, and the headliner is sagging. I think it may have a cracked exhaust manifold (common). I got it so cheap I'll probably fix it up a little bit and sell it for a profit. I mean, KBB on it in "fair" condition is $3,200. I need three XJ's like I need a hole in my head, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Sometimes, people don't know what they have.
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, KBB on the one in the ad is about $6000 (yes, that takes into account mileage). So, how they think they're gonna get 4500 above that is nuts. That's 75% over what it's worth.
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Yo Wildmann what's up. Your right about that price for our area. By that rationale, the red 01 up-country I acquired with under 100k and zero rust would be worth even more. If any one who disagree's with us wants to offer me $12500 for mine, come and get it. I promise you I won't hesitate. I won't tell ya what I paid for it and all it needed was a rear diff.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yo Benez! I never thought about it that way either. If that one's worth 10,500, then I ought to be able to get at least 10000 for mine. And if I were to sell mine, and ask a reasonable price, I'd probably start at no more than 6000. In reality, I started this thread to offer a little amusement and really didn't intend for it to be the source of argument. I hope no one was offended. It's a nice looking Jeep, but the price is just way outa line.
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It all just depends on the buyer.

I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for any XJ unless it was a 2001 Limited with low miles. And $5,000 would be my max, considering I can turn a Sport into a Limited with a little elbow grease and money.
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I need another ORF frt bumper for the 01, You don't have another one lying around do ya ? If anyone got offended by what you said, Screw em. Your not an offensive type of guy. Me on the other hand, it's more than likely that I'll offend them twice as much so no worries. It's just what I do. All joking aside, You are correct for the area we live in. However someone will always try to refute anything anyone says on JF. Isn't that what forums are for ? Good to see your still upright and breathing buddy. Remember, $12,500 and my 01 is yours.
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz View Post
It all just depends on the buyer.

I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for any XJ unless it was a 2001 Limited with low miles. And $5,000 would be my max, considering I can turn a Sport into a Limited with a little elbow grease and money.
I agree. But this is part of my point. The last time I "discussed" this same subject with another member he "argued harshly" that a limited was worth no more than a sport of the same yr and mileage. I said maybe not to him but they are worth more on paper and in the general public market. You know what they say about opinions right.
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have another one of those ORF bumpers. I do, however have a nice Logan's winch bumper I would sell you to put on your $12,500 XJ. And since it would be mounted on what I would expect to be a gold plated Cherokee, I would ask a mere $2000 for it with it's custom rattle can black paint job. For an extra $1000 I could have it powder coated, or for an extra $3000 I could have it gold plated to match your $12,500 gold plated XJ. It would look good, think about it. U ever gonna be out to Rausch Creek? We need to go break stuff together...
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwildmann View Post
I don't have another one of those ORF bumpers. I do, however have a nice Logan's winch bumper I would sell you to put on your $12,500 XJ. And since it would be mounted on what I would expect to be a gold plated Cherokee, I would ask a mere $2000 for it with it's custom rattle can black paint job. For an extra $1000 I could have it powder coated, or for an extra $3000 I could have it gold plated to match your $12,500 gold plated XJ. It would look good, think about it. U ever gonna be out to Rausch Creek? We need to go break stuff together...
It's not a very far ride for me. I could be coaxed out there for let's say a good deal on a Logan's winch bumper..... all kidding aside I would do a trip there. Just let me know and if I'm able I'll go. Right now I'm home for a few weeks with a torn tendon in my elbow so I gots nuttin but time.
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

S'cuse me while go I google what a logan's bumper looks like.....
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #15
Mwildmann
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Depends on how you want it finished. Like I said, as it sits $1000. I really don't want to have to take it off though. But for you (and $1000) I'd do it! It's this one: http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/jechxjfrwibu1.html.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.