parts or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > parts or not?

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
swamp_runner
1997 XJ Cherokee 

parts or not?

i just came across a 97 xj with only 64,000 original miles on it for cheap, it needs windows. will the windshield and\or the rear hatch glass outta a 88 xj fit? my 88 is nothing more then parts at this point. so how much outta my 88 can i use on the 97? most specificaly the glass, i knw the door glass wont work. but just an idea of what will, or wont, swap would be nice. im sorry if this info is already posted, i spent two hours searching to no avail... any help is GREATLY appreciated!
thanks, sven

swamp_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

interior, front clip, drivetrain and doors. nothing else will fit (not hatch)

glass in the older is held in by a gasket. rear hatch is glued in on the 97. not sure about sides, but they may

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Anything will fit but might need some messaging to get it to work. I know 1st hand that the front clip is different from 88 to 95 and thus very different to 97. The trans and tcase wont work between those years because 88 trans output is 21 spline and 97 is 23 spline. The interior mounts differently between the two but its doable.

I dont see why the windows wont work, other than the door window with they changed in 97. The windshield should be the same as well as the back side glass. but i guess you will find out for sure

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowicz96 View Post
Anything will fit but might need some messaging to get it to work. I know 1st hand that the front clip is different from 88 to 95 and thus very different to 97. The trans and tcase wont work between those years because 88 trans output is 21 spline and 97 is 23 spline. The interior mounts differently between the two but its doable.

I dont see why the windows wont work, other than the door window with they changed in 97. The windshield should be the same as well as the back side glass. but i guess you will find out for sure
The tcase can be swapped, just have to swap the input spline (fairly easy). clip can be changed, but have to change fenders as well to make work. the front glass on pre 97 has clips and metal trim ring, the post 97 has a rubber trim ring (not sure exactly how it is held on).

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Unread 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
swamp_runner
1997 XJ Cherokee 

so the windsheild at least will work? my 97 has the gasket around he windshield, (whats left of the windshield anyways) so if its gonna fit, that would be awsome!! this jeep is proposed to be my new DD, so i dont wanna cobble it together. but of course i wann save as much money as possible!
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
swamp_runner
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, for anyone interested, the windshield outta a 88 xj WILL NOT fit in a 97 xj... it ws a uneventful learning experience... lol Bt Im still proud of myself for nt breaking anything even after I found out it wouldnt work! Lol! Now I got to decide if I should just pay to have a new one installed, or look for a used one n do it myself....
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A windshield installed, is under 200 bucks and they come to you. This is something that for some reason has gotten dirt cheap since my first experience with windshield replacement.
escapeartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
swamp_runner
1997 XJ Cherokee 

REALY? I was just quoted $350 here in central Michigan! Maybe i should keep checking around more, lol
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp_runner View Post
REALY? I was just quoted $350 here in central Michigan! Maybe i should keep checking around more, lol
It's possibile it is just more expensive out there. Out here they sand the roads so there is a lot of broken glass when spring rolls around. Maybe its a volume thing
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
jeeplesjeeper
1998 XJ Cherokee 

safelite go to them they gave me a quote for $200. they will come out and put it if for u, also they have life time warrentys
jeeplesjeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i'd part the 88 out and use the money to get what you need for the 97....just an idea
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #12
swamp_runner
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That is my plan, Bt I'm parting most of the 88 out to myself! Lol, wen I'm dun fixing my 97, I'm gnna use.the ax15 an clutch assembly in my ZJ. I been thru 4 transmissions in my ZJ, so this should be the LAST trans I put in it! Lol. So when I'm done, ill have a body, a moter, transfer case, and axles. Try to part it out, but I can't expect much, its old, beat up, cut fenders, an it'll be half stripped! Lol
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
swamp_runner
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know if the oil pans are the same? They look the same, but the one on my 97 is pretty badly dented...
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
swamp_runner
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oh, an by the way, I bought a new windshield an had it installed for $269 I was a lil nervous about gtting the windshield sealed fully, so I just paid to have it done
Unread 06-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

if both engines are 4.0 then the pan should be the same. and nothing wrong with paying to have something done correctly.

i do my own work, but also pay to have windshields replaced

–Voltaire[/SIZE]

Tags
cherokee , swap , windshield

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.