Painting XJ Carpet with Dupli-Color Flat Black - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Painting XJ Carpet with Dupli-Color Flat Black

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #31
ExpeditionXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabejeep View Post
What kind of carpet dye did you use? How is this done? I figure if my paint wears off I could try the dye. I think the Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint will work pretty well on the vinyl surfaces but Im not so sure about the carpet and seats...

I provided the link with all the details your seeking.. just above the pic.

ExpeditionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #32
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpeditionXJ View Post
Recently dyed my ZJ projects carpet, think it turned out well and no rough texture.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...yeing-1208565/

That actually looks pretty good. I want your seats BTW...

I sprayed the headliner (vinyl) in my VW years ago, was white and the rest of the interior was black. The vinyl dye came in a spray can, was about 12 bucks (back in like 1993) and worked like a hot dam. It was not shiny, and looked 100% stock...after a year is looked as good as day 1.

Wish I could remember the brand?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #33
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

SEM makes some good carpet dyes as does carbrite, automagic, and malco those last three are automotive detailing vendors. SEM is usually sold by autobody supply stores. Hope that helps some
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #34
RootJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Terrible stuff on the center console.
RootJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #35
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

while you spent all that time on the carpet, did you pull it up and take a look under? I would spend time with the paint there first, then worry about the color

Going rubber in mine eventually, after a major floor overhaul.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #36
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Carpet 2 Years Later...

I thought I'd revisit this topic two years after I originally painted my carpet. In high traffic areas, such as the drivers side - the paint has faded considerably.

I also painted my dash, which in some areas has bubbled up in the heat. Im having to replace some of my dash components because of this. If I were to do it over again, I would simply replace the carpet with new carpet. I paid about the same amount in spray paint that it would have cost to by a new carpet mold. Im planning on replacing the carpet entirely probably in the next year.

As far as painting the vinyl and paneling of the car, be very careful not to over spray what you are painting. If you do, it will likely bubble, chip, or not look consistent.

In some ways it was good, and in other ways bad. Live and learn I guess...
gabejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #37
Muddy97Cherokee
Poor College Student

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Why not just remove your carpet and bed line the inside?
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #38
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Used car dealers do this alot, they even spraypaint the seats and trunk area's. beware .
Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #39
gabejeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't remove the carpet and spray it with bedliner because of road noise and insulation. My XJ doesn't have a headliner and that alone makes insulation of heat and cold air very difficult. If you don't mind the noise and freezing or sweating your butt off, go for it...
gabejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #40
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabejeep
I wouldn't remove the carpet and spray it with bedliner because of road noise and insulation. My XJ doesn't have a headliner and that alone makes insulation of heat and cold air very difficult. If you don't mind the noise and freezing or sweating your butt off, go for it...
Jeep heats up just fine in the winter and that's without any drain plugs in.
And the ac keeps it freezing in 90f weather.
No carpet or sound deader, just u-pol raptor and some primer.
Noise barely increased but that's not to say it hasn't increased at all, it just doesn't bother me at all and i like a quiet ride.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet , interior , paint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.