Painting my whole roof? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Painting my whole roof?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Xride

Painting my whole roof?

The roof of my XJ is starting to flake off, and I want to nip it before it becomes anything. I figure the only way is to repaint the whole thing.

But this brings up a few questions.

I don't have access to any kind of a spray booth or sprayer, so will have to be rattle can in the garage.
Being the roof I am a little worried about rattle can though. Figure the paint will look terrible in no time at all. Outside of good prep and priming it, is there clear coat in a rattle can that works? I don't have to wet sand or anything do I?

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
BAR01XJ

I've had good luck with duplicolor clear coat. A final wet sand and polish after 4-6 coats has given me good results, but I've never done a panel as big as a roof with a rattle can. Another idea you could plastidip the roof. It's real forgiving stuff, wouldn't be a perfect color match, but I think it looks OK. I used it on my roof rack rails that were fading multi color.
BAR01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
slickrocksteve
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It is funney you are having the same problem that I am. My midnight blue 2001, is peeling, and even rusting. It started last winter during the snow, and has progressed quickly. My hood is also crazing, and while I could work with something like "Monstaliner" on the roof, the hood is another matter, as I would like to keep some resale value for a while. I do know that the hood would NOT look good if I try to use rattle cans, but the local body guys all give me the same quotes....$2500 to repaint the roof and hood!
INSANE! I don't want or need the whole car painted, jut the hood and top. Can this be correct?
I do have a small sand blaster, and could blast the roof, but the hood would probably ripple, and be really gross, so it would mean that somehow I would have to remove the hood, and use a palm sander or something.
slickrocksteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Xride

crazing, is that when it looks like someone put a million tiny razor cuts in the paint? That is what my hood and roof are doing. My hood probably has till next year before it needs to be done.

What is this plastidip stuff? Is that like vinyl wraping it? But out of a spray can? Is it pretty forgiving in the application or in taking abuse? Would I strip the roof and then prime it, paint it and then plastidip to cover my bad paint job?
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
TheMadMonk
1979 CJ7 

The duplicolor rattle can paint gives a fan pattern which is as close as you'll get to a professional application without the equipment. You can have the same tiger stripe effect with a proper gun & compressor as with a rattle can if you don't apply it correctly. Only real issues I see with using the rattle can on your roof is the need for numerous cans and after awhile your finger will go numb if you don't use one of those trigger accessories. My roof also is beginning to peel and the hood shows crazing. I think it may have been resprayed at some point other than the roof as the paint is incredibly vulnerable to chips and scratches. A full respray is probably going to happen one of these days.
TheMadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk View Post
The duplicolor rattle can paint gives a fan pattern which is as close as you'll get to a professional application without the equipment. You can have the same tiger stripe effect with a proper gun & compressor as with a rattle can if you don't apply it correctly. Only real issues I see with using the rattle can on your roof is the need for numerous cans and after awhile your finger will go numb if you don't use one of those trigger accessories. My roof also is beginning to peel and the hood shows crazing. I think it may have been resprayed at some point other than the roof as the paint is incredibly vulnerable to chips and scratches. A full respray is probably going to happen one of these days.
I thought about a full respray, but it's a 14 year old jeep cherokee. It's just not worth the cost of even a cheap repaint.

Looking at monstiliner, do I need to put the chassis saver on under the monstiliner? Or could I just go for the chassis saver?
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
TheMadMonk
1979 CJ7 

If I did a respray, I'd do it myself. I'm not going to pay someone to do it either. I've painted cars before with some success. No show winners but certainly not bad at all. I even painted my CJ once outside with no cover. Surprisingly, it turned out pretty well.
TheMadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had a guy repaint my hood for $300. The roof is going to get sanded and roller painted with RustOleum.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I had a guy repaint my hood for $300. The roof is going to get sanded and roller painted with RustOleum.
I can grind and prime all my rust and then plastidip my whole jeep for 300 bucks. 400 if I mosterline the bottom parts.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
BAR01XJ

I'd clean up rust before plastidip, but probably wouldn't do much prep otherwise. It's cheap and removable. I think it might show marks if you ran it through a bunch of brush, but it's pretty durable and since it's a roof... I've used it on emblems and wheels for cars where those were starting to look bad but I didn't want to spend the $ to replace them. I put a bunch of miles on the wheels with no peeling and I thought it looked pretty good. There are a ton of videos on youtube where you can decide if it's for you (dipyourcar.com has a bunch of examples). Best part is if you don't like it you can always peel it off and have it traditionally resprayed and you're not out much money.
BAR01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.