JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Painting my whole roof? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/painting-my-whole-roof-1531153/)

Xride 06-01-2013 09:15 PM

Painting my whole roof?

The roof of my XJ is starting to flake off, and I want to nip it before it becomes anything. I figure the only way is to repaint the whole thing.

But this brings up a few questions.

I don't have access to any kind of a spray booth or sprayer, so will have to be rattle can in the garage.
Being the roof I am a little worried about rattle can though. Figure the paint will look terrible in no time at all. Outside of good prep and priming it, is there clear coat in a rattle can that works? I don't have to wet sand or anything do I?

BAR01XJ 06-03-2013 08:50 AM

I've had good luck with duplicolor clear coat. A final wet sand and polish after 4-6 coats has given me good results, but I've never done a panel as big as a roof with a rattle can. Another idea you could plastidip the roof. It's real forgiving stuff, wouldn't be a perfect color match, but I think it looks OK. I used it on my roof rack rails that were fading multi color.

slickrocksteve 06-03-2013 05:28 PM

It is funney you are having the same problem that I am. My midnight blue 2001, is peeling, and even rusting. It started last winter during the snow, and has progressed quickly. My hood is also crazing, and while I could work with something like "Monstaliner" on the roof, the hood is another matter, as I would like to keep some resale value for a while. I do know that the hood would NOT look good if I try to use rattle cans, but the local body guys all give me the same quotes....$2500 to repaint the roof and hood!
INSANE! I don't want or need the whole car painted, jut the hood and top. Can this be correct?
I do have a small sand blaster, and could blast the roof, but the hood would probably ripple, and be really gross, so it would mean that somehow I would have to remove the hood, and use a palm sander or something.

Xride 06-08-2013 12:33 PM

crazing, is that when it looks like someone put a million tiny razor cuts in the paint? That is what my hood and roof are doing. My hood probably has till next year before it needs to be done.

What is this plastidip stuff? Is that like vinyl wraping it? But out of a spray can? Is it pretty forgiving in the application or in taking abuse? Would I strip the roof and then prime it, paint it and then plastidip to cover my bad paint job?

TheMadMonk 06-09-2013 11:55 AM

The duplicolor rattle can paint gives a fan pattern which is as close as you'll get to a professional application without the equipment. You can have the same tiger stripe effect with a proper gun & compressor as with a rattle can if you don't apply it correctly. Only real issues I see with using the rattle can on your roof is the need for numerous cans and after awhile your finger will go numb if you don't use one of those trigger accessories. My roof also is beginning to peel and the hood shows crazing. I think it may have been resprayed at some point other than the roof as the paint is incredibly vulnerable to chips and scratches. A full respray is probably going to happen one of these days.

Xride 06-09-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk (Post 15538692)
The duplicolor rattle can paint gives a fan pattern which is as close as you'll get to a professional application without the equipment. You can have the same tiger stripe effect with a proper gun & compressor as with a rattle can if you don't apply it correctly. Only real issues I see with using the rattle can on your roof is the need for numerous cans and after awhile your finger will go numb if you don't use one of those trigger accessories. My roof also is beginning to peel and the hood shows crazing. I think it may have been resprayed at some point other than the roof as the paint is incredibly vulnerable to chips and scratches. A full respray is probably going to happen one of these days.

I thought about a full respray, but it's a 14 year old jeep cherokee. It's just not worth the cost of even a cheap repaint.

Looking at monstiliner, do I need to put the chassis saver on under the monstiliner? Or could I just go for the chassis saver?

TheMadMonk 06-09-2013 01:25 PM

If I did a respray, I'd do it myself. I'm not going to pay someone to do it either. I've painted cars before with some success. No show winners but certainly not bad at all. I even painted my CJ once outside with no cover. Surprisingly, it turned out pretty well.

CJ7-Tim 06-09-2013 02:33 PM

I had a guy repaint my hood for $300. The roof is going to get sanded and roller painted with RustOleum.

Xride 06-09-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim (Post 15539133)
I had a guy repaint my hood for $300. The roof is going to get sanded and roller painted with RustOleum.

I can grind and prime all my rust and then plastidip my whole jeep for 300 bucks. 400 if I mosterline the bottom parts.

BAR01XJ 06-10-2013 09:49 AM

I'd clean up rust before plastidip, but probably wouldn't do much prep otherwise. It's cheap and removable. I think it might show marks if you ran it through a bunch of brush, but it's pretty durable and since it's a roof... I've used it on emblems and wheels for cars where those were starting to look bad but I didn't want to spend the $ to replace them. I put a bunch of miles on the wheels with no peeling and I thought it looked pretty good. There are a ton of videos on youtube where you can decide if it's for you (dipyourcar.com has a bunch of examples). Best part is if you don't like it you can always peel it off and have it traditionally resprayed and you're not out much money.

The time now is 01:26 AM.