painting my jeep Krylon Olive Drab - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > painting my jeep Krylon Olive Drab

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
Super6XJ
2004 WJ 

i just Painted my XJ Krylon Tan... My XJ dont have doors and WOW! it's a Totally Different Jeep!
But yours Look GOOD.. i have stenciled SPR6XJ on the side.. and 88 in black.

i did a simple coat and finished within 3hrs..
Now i have to go to Work.. lol

Super6XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Here is how I painted it. It's VERY durable and dead simple to fix if it gets damaged.. 1 quart Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (red), 1 quart Dark Hunter Green Gloss. Thin it very thin (watery) with 100% mineral spirits and roll on with high density rollers. Self levels very nicely and I think it's more coverage than spraying. Did in in my driveway last weekend in the wind too. Just tape the trim and start rolling. 12 coats later and there it is. Nice smooth coverage.

Here is a picture from a bunch I shot yesterday in full sun. It looks amazing in person.

diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That looks great!
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #19
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice diskman!

Peewee, did you spray on a clear coat and how has it held up to the elements over time? (I remember you did this a while back...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeXJ View Post
Offend them? no way.....

Krylon Khaki camo

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #20
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

will it offend anyone? this is the "good 'ole US of A"! of course someone will be offended! it's the new american way
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #21
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchVA View Post
will it offend anyone? this is the "good 'ole US of A"! of course someone will be offended! it's the new american way

who cares.. maybe if it was a jeep in afghanistan then it would be okay for someone to get offended since it isnt the country the jeep is IN. its U.S. pride and people should be proud of their country. if not, in the words of mitch hetberg, get the **** out
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #22
peeweeXJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Very nice diskman!

Peewee, did you spray on a clear coat and how has it held up to the elements over time? (I remember you did this a while back...)

Yeah, about that paint. No clearcoat was used. Not much prep was done either- sanded by hand to rough the clearcoat up. It looks real good except for the section of metal above the grille, a few spots on the hood and the cowl. If I prepared it right, I'm for sure it would look just as good today
peeweeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #23
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
who cares.. maybe if it was a jeep in afghanistan then it would be okay for someone to get offended since it isnt the country the jeep is IN. its U.S. pride and people should be proud of their country. if not, in the words of mitch hetberg, get the **** out
i totally agree.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #24
1988XJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

here it is painted up sorry for the cell phone pics

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611854
1988 jeep cherokee trimed fenders, 2 inch lift, 32X11.50 Bfg mt's
1988XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #25
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good diskman, especially for using a roller! Bravo.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
KentuckyXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman_1 View Post
Here is how I painted it. It's VERY durable and dead simple to fix if it gets damaged.. 1 quart Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (red), 1 quart Dark Hunter Green Gloss. Thin it very thin (watery) with 100% mineral spirits and roll on with high density rollers. Self levels very nicely and I think it's more coverage than spraying. Did in in my driveway last weekend in the wind too. Just tape the trim and start rolling. 12 coats later and there it is. Nice smooth coverage.

Here is a picture from a bunch I shot yesterday in full sun. It looks amazing in person.

12 coats? how long did you let it stand between each coat?
1986 SVO mustang turbo 4cyl... stock long block with a few extra pounds of boost 350RWHP 380TRQ new setup and more power coming soon
KentuckyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #27
BillB7581
2000 XJ Cherokee 

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Dude painted this car with a roller.

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.
BillB7581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #28
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB7581 View Post
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Dude painted this car with a roller.

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:

the car before:

another after pic:

here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):

here is the car before (71 beetle):

here's a few pics of the charger done:

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.
click free
jsc7002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.