painting my jeep Krylon Olive Drab - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Super6XJ
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: McAllen
Posts: 457
i just Painted my XJ Krylon Tan... My XJ dont have doors and WOW! it's a Totally Different Jeep!
But yours Look GOOD.. i have stenciled SPR6XJ on the side.. and 88 in black.


i did a simple coat and finished within 3hrs..
Now i have to go to Work.. lol

Super6XJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
diskman_1
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 501
Here is how I painted it. It's VERY durable and dead simple to fix if it gets damaged.. 1 quart Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (red), 1 quart Dark Hunter Green Gloss. Thin it very thin (watery) with 100% mineral spirits and roll on with high density rollers. Self levels very nicely and I think it's more coverage than spraying. Did in in my driveway last weekend in the wind too. Just tape the trim and start rolling. 12 coats later and there it is. Nice smooth coverage.



Here is a picture from a bunch I shot yesterday in full sun. It looks amazing in person.

diskman_1 is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
srmitchell
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Humboldt County, CA
Posts: 3,498
That looks great!

I work on Mopars
srmitchell is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 PM
EricsXJ
The Post man
 
EricsXJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 8,590
Very nice diskman!

Peewee, did you spray on a clear coat and how has it held up to the elements over time? (I remember you did this a while back...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeXJ View Post
Offend them? no way.....



Krylon Khaki camo

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website - EricsXJ.com

EricsXJ is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life
 
FitchVA's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,128
will it offend anyone? this is the "good 'ole US of A"! of course someone will be offended! it's the new american way

'98 xj sport (trail toy) | specs
'98 xj classic (dd'er) | specs
'89 mj tinker toy | specs
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM
aircruiser
Registered User
 
aircruiser's Avatar
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 9,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchVA View Post
will it offend anyone? this is the "good 'ole US of A"! of course someone will be offended! it's the new american way

who cares.. maybe if it was a jeep in afghanistan then it would be okay for someone to get offended since it isnt the country the jeep is IN. its U.S. pride and people should be proud of their country. if not, in the words of mitch hetberg, get the **** out

1996 XJ on 36" TSLs, 4", locked F/R, stretched
aircruiser is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
peeweeXJ
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Very nice diskman!

Peewee, did you spray on a clear coat and how has it held up to the elements over time? (I remember you did this a while back...)

Yeah, about that paint. No clearcoat was used. Not much prep was done either- sanded by hand to rough the clearcoat up. It looks real good except for the section of metal above the grille, a few spots on the hood and the cowl. If I prepared it right, I'm for sure it would look just as good today
peeweeXJ is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life
 
FitchVA's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
who cares.. maybe if it was a jeep in afghanistan then it would be okay for someone to get offended since it isnt the country the jeep is IN. its U.S. pride and people should be proud of their country. if not, in the words of mitch hetberg, get the **** out
i totally agree.

'98 xj sport (trail toy) | specs
'98 xj classic (dd'er) | specs
'89 mj tinker toy | specs
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 07-20-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
1988XJ
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bethlehem pa
Posts: 378
here it is painted up sorry for the cell phone pics


-Mike
blown engine count: 2
my build:
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=611854
1988 jeep cherokee trimed fenders, 2 inch lift, 32X11.50 Bfg mt's
1988XJ is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
loosenut
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 292
Looks good diskman, especially for using a roller! Bravo.
loosenut is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
KentuckyXJ
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Owensboro, Ky
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman_1 View Post
Here is how I painted it. It's VERY durable and dead simple to fix if it gets damaged.. 1 quart Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (red), 1 quart Dark Hunter Green Gloss. Thin it very thin (watery) with 100% mineral spirits and roll on with high density rollers. Self levels very nicely and I think it's more coverage than spraying. Did in in my driveway last weekend in the wind too. Just tape the trim and start rolling. 12 coats later and there it is. Nice smooth coverage.



Here is a picture from a bunch I shot yesterday in full sun. It looks amazing in person.

12 coats? how long did you let it stand between each coat?

1989 XJ...6 inch 33's more coming soon
1998 XJ...BB and 31' swampers
1995 SHO taurus, DD/sleeper
1986 SVO mustang turbo 4cyl... stock long block with a few extra pounds of boost 350RWHP 380TRQ new setup and more power coming soon
KentuckyXJ is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
BillB7581
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 118
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Dude painted this car with a roller.






here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.
BillB7581 is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM
jsc7002
Registered User
1966 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wichita
Posts: 1,434
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB7581 View Post
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Dude painted this car with a roller.






here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:

the car before:

another after pic:

here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):

here is the car before (71 beetle):


here's a few pics of the charger done:



well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.
click free
jsc7002 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
olive drab cherokee sabfoma2 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 12 09-25-2007 02:27 PM
For all you guys that are olive drab Dragnz24 XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 6 04-02-2007 10:17 PM
Olive Drab XJ? Red Rhino XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 12 02-12-2007 07:13 PM
olive drab?!?!?!?! fordpower XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 0 01-07-2005 06:14 AM
olive drab jeeps fordpower XJ Cherokee Technical Forum 1 01-03-2005 10:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome