Painting a 1991 Cherokee - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Painting a 1991 Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Never know til you try. 90% of it's doing good prep work and it's all basic skills. It's kinda hard to screw up putting on bedliner.

Those roll on paint jobs aren't nearly as easy as they're made out to be and they take a ton of time, effort, and patience to get a quality paint job that looks anything like a professional job. If you value your time at all it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a decent spray gun, compressor and regulator. You'll get a lot of use out of the compressor anyway and even HF makes a $20 spray gun that works pretty damn well given where it comes from.
This man is 100% right on both counts.

Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
AM92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

Never know til you try. 90% of it's doing good prep work and it's all basic skills. It's kinda hard to screw up putting on bedliner.

Those roll on paint jobs aren't nearly as easy as they're made out to be and they take a ton of time, effort, and patience to get a quality paint job that looks anything like a professional job. If you value your time at all it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a decent spray gun, compressor and regulator. You'll get a lot of use out of the compressor anyway and even HF makes a $20 spray gun that works pretty damn well given where it comes from.
just stating that it was cheaper to go that route with the roll on if you didn't have a compressor spray gun and regulator or hose look to spend 300 to 400 dollars extra on top of your paint job unless other wise find a friend that has all that gear
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
AM92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Craigslist is your best friend lol
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
just stating that it was cheaper to go that route with the roll on if you didn't have a compressor spray gun and regulator or hose look to spend 300 to 400 dollars extra on top of your paint job unless other wise find a friend that has all that gear
You can get everything for under $300.

I sprayed my pickup and had none of what I needed to spray it from the start. I used a 2 gal compressor that I picked up new at Lowe's for ~$100 that came with a hose, fittings, ect, a $40 gun from HF and a $20 regulator. Came out better than roll on jobs I've done and I spent a day on it rather than a week of constantly recoating and wet sanding in between coats like you have to do with a roll job.

The price to roll on and spray is comparable.
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelertazreal View Post
So...I would like to paint her, as the colour isnt that great, and its very worn and faded...

Called around today and was told 3 prices...

$11,000
$16,000
$20,000

I near had a heart attack ..... Is having a vehicle painted really that much, or am i just going to the wrong place?!!!?

If this is about the price I am going to pay, I think...as scarey as it is...I am going to paint her myself!

If thats the case...anyone have a supply list, guide they could offer for someone wanting to paint their own jeep?
A quality job does cost that much. Yeah, you can go to Maaco, but you get what you pay for with them. Their prep work is virtually non-existant, and they won't remove any rust. They'll just paint over it; if you're lucky, they might sand it away, but the rust will always come back unless you actually cut the bad metal out.

If you have the time and the skill to prep and/or paint a vehicle yourself, you can save a whopping lot of money.
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #21
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Monstaliner paint job ftw!!!
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Gelertazreal

Could anyone provide some links to the spray gun, regulator compressor youd recomend for refrence as I don't want to pick up the wrkng thingsif I go this route
Gelertazreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #23
Mike934

Dnfj do you think you. Could grab a better pic of the texture of the monstaliner? Thinking of doing mine in some form of white....thinking it'll hold up better than the rustoleum and shouldn't loose its shine or sheen because its "uv resistant".
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ya no clue where your going but ask friends and family maybe.. At reputable painters here i can get a full paint job with all my rust fixed done right for about 4k... Dont go to maaco unless you do all the prep

Im in ontario by the way
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #25
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934 View Post
Dnfj do you think you. Could grab a better pic of the texture of the monstaliner? Thinking of doing mine in some form of white....thinking it'll hold up better than the rustoleum and shouldn't loose its shine or sheen because its "uv resistant".
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #26
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floreancig_XJ
Ya no clue where your going but ask friends and family maybe.. At reputable painters here i can get a full paint job with all my rust fixed done right for about 4k... Dont go to maaco unless you do all the prep

Im in ontario by the way
I may have to drive up to Ontario to have mine restored if that's really what you're paying. $4000 sounds great!
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ
This pictures nice but don't expect it to be amazing, I notice little things in my paint, where a pinhole to the old paint is, or where the monstaliner had little chunks in it (dunno why), but anyways I love it and really no one has ever said anything bad about it, nor have they found any faults with it. I just notice little things because Its my jerp.
If I did it all over again idk if I'd get monstaliner but really IMO there's really only 2 good choices for diy bed lining, that's monstaliner and u-pol raptor.
Also I'd buy the better spray gun, the cheap one broke but luckily I found my u -pol raptor gun (almost the same) and finished the job.
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #28
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The actually quote was closer to 4500

But no word
Of a lie!!
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
This pictures nice but don't expect it to be amazing, I notice little things in my paint, where a pinhole to the old paint is, or where the monstaliner had little chunks in it (dunno why), but anyways I love it and really no one has ever said anything bad about it, nor have they found any faults with it. I just notice little things because Its my jerp.
If I did it all over again idk if I'd get monstaliner but really IMO there's really only 2 good choices for diy bed lining, that's monstaliner and u-pol raptor.
Also I'd buy the better spray gun, the cheap one broke but luckily I found my u -pol raptor gun (almost the same) and finished the job.

You monstalined as well? Wat color? Prep involved?

I'm very very curious about this vs rattle canning it....honestly its a jeep, rattle can can be touched up..the monstaliner? Does it faded? Crack? Chip? Durability?
I've got chassis saver and its o for its use...but what about the actual bedliner?
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #30
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike934

You monstalined as well? Wat color? Prep involved?

I'm very very curious about this vs rattle canning it....honestly its a jeep, rattle can can be touched up..the monstaliner? Does it faded? Crack? Chip? Durability?
I've got chassis saver and its o for its use...but what about the actual bedliner?
It's good stuff, honestly I like u-pol raptor better but monstaliner is defiantly not bad. I sanded the whole rig, door jams and all, removed all the doors including the hatch and hood. My roof was rusty so first thing first I stripped the whole roof and sanded to add something the chassis saver could bite to. Once I finished the roof I went around the jerp finding every and any rust and sanding it to bare metal. Then I rattled the whole jerp with some rustoleum bare metal primer, after a couple days I sprayed. I actually saw some crap where Bedliners would bubble, crack.... So I sanded like a mad man, took me alone about a week just to sand everything but I'm in school and work night shift so....
Color is desert sand monstaliner.
It chips but not that easy, IMO this is where u-pol raptor beats monstaliner, I have zero chips on the u-pol on my inside of my jeep, which gets abused was more then the monstaliner. Iv only had 3 chips in the monstaliner, one was from another car (i assume someone opened their door into mine), another was on my front end, and the last was from me dropping a 2ft breaking bar in the door jam.

Sometimes I drag my keys along my jeep like I'm keying it just to see others reactions. why? Idk maybe because I can and not hurt my paint? Lol

If you live In a rough area sometimes being normal is good. What I mean is I constantly have people come up to me and ask about it, looking/standing next to it when I come out of a store, FOLLOWING ME to ask about it...... It really makes me feel good about the job i did, but also makes me nervous because its more noticed, and I wouldn't call binghamton the safest place on earth....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.