Overlanding! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Overlanding!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Maybe it's because you aren't culturally aware, or just don't educate yourself, but Overlanding has been popular in Australia since like 1910.

So please tell me more about how it's just a hipster re-title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlanding

... wiki waffle ...

Looks like it was written by someone outside Australia.
Reminds me of that "Australian Shepherd" dog that some of you fellas own ... that isnt even an australian breed.

Yes we had "overlanders" ... and well before 1910.

They were the equivalent of your texas trailhands - on an epic traildrive, moving stock to somewhere - over huge distances.

Nat Buchanan, Pat Durack, and a few other names spring to mind .... altho even they - are more commonly referred to by most folk as "drovers" and explorers - rather than "overlanders".

Yes we have a train called the Overland ... Its a cutesy name and invokes images and memories of bygone times ... Just as the "Ghan" is named for all the Afghan cameleers who provided transportation of stuff around the place in the early days.

Len Beadell an overlander ?? hardly ... but a bonzer bloke and able surveyor, employed to poke around the inland, putting in roads in lonely and remote locations.

Only foriegners think we "overland" these days .. ohhh and maybe our younguns with their heads buried in other countries internet forums .. ..

We might go "touring" and "do a trip around the block" (i.e. circumnavigate the country) ... or maybe take a coupla weeks and go fishing up the Cape - or do a run down the Strzelecki Track ... but theres not many of us driving mobs of cattle, cross country for thousands of miles, these days, to earn the title - "Overlander" ..

Sheesh - even the Camel Trophy wasnt "overlanding" ...

It was just .................. cigarette advertising ..

"Overlanding" = "hipster- d-bag" retitle of holiday and travel activities that people have enjoyed for decades.

Dont worry about what popular and trendy name its currently called ... Just get out there and do it.

Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #32
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Does it really matter what it's labeled? Really... Who cares.

As far as I'm concerned labeling something just makes it easier to reference.
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #33
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805 View Post

This
00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"(August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs

Blue Waffle Build Thread
Built Not Bought #704

Past Jeeps:
93 ZJ Laredo(Jan 2011-April 2011) 5.2L - 98k, Stock - Totaled
96 ZJ Laredo(April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold

Monstaliner: http://monstaliner.com/
Iron Rock Offroad: http://ironrockoffroad.com/
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #34
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I see it as fun the trips I get to go on I enjoy far more than going to off road parks and just easier to say overlanding instead of what are you doing this weekend driving camping driving camping driving camping driving
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #35
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluff28
I see it as fun the trips I get to go on I enjoy far more than going to off road parks and just easier to say overlanding instead of what are you doing this weekend driving camping driving camping driving camping driving
This
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
redding1327
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805 View Post

This....^

And this > I see it as fun the trips I get to go on I enjoy far more than going to off road parks and just easier to say overlanding instead of what are you doing this weekend driving camping driving camping driving camping driving
redding1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Maybe it's because you aren't culturally aware, or just don't educate yourself, but Overlanding has been popular in Australia since like 1910.

So please tell me more about how it's just a hipster re-title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlanding
Culturally aware ??? Dude you live in Pittsburgh. An armpit of PA. Get over your self and I think Carves pretty much showed your knowledge of the history ends when your internet connection fails. Culturally aware ??? Your putting me on right.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #38
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
Culturally aware ??? Dude you live in Pittsburgh. An armpit of PA. Get over your self and I think Carves pretty much showed your knowledge of the history ends when your internet connection fails. Culturally aware ??? Your putting me on right.
A++ Post.
00 XJ Sport "Wannabe Desert Rat"(August 2012-Present) 4.0L - 160k Body, Monstalined Menace, ATK+ Longblock, 6.5" IRO Short Arm Lift, LMP Front Bumper, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Clayton DS Track Bar, ZJ V8 Steering, Quick Discos, Bilstein 5100s, IRO HnT SYE, Braided SS Brake Lines, 1" TC Drop, HiLift, #784 Injectors, Flowmaster Super 44, 33" BFGoodrich A/T on Outlaw IIs, Safari Snorkel, Autopal Harness + 80/100w H4 Bulbs

Blue Waffle Build Thread
Built Not Bought #704

Past Jeeps:
96 ZJ Laredo(April 2011-August 2012) 4.0L - 138k, Cowl Intake, Rancho 9000 Series, 2" Spacers, 31" Baja MT Widetracks - Sold

Unread 05-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #39
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
Overlanding is just fancy terminology ... to encourage spending on expensive and generally, unnescessary accessories ... to overload your vehicle with.

Basically its nothing more than an extended camping trip, taking in the sights and clocking up the miles.

I can cruise up the blacktop for two hours each way ...to get to a mall.

... or I can do a two day detour like this ...

Soooooo .... Was I, "overlanding" ... or going shopping ?? ..
That seriously looks like the most enjoyable thing I've ever seen. Aren't you not legally able to lift vehicles in Australia though? I see yours is not, just wondering.
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #40
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
That seriously looks like the most enjoyable thing I've ever seen. Aren't you not legally able to lift vehicles in Australia though? I see yours is not, just wondering.

Govt has restricted lifts to about 2".

Higher lifts can be had - if one does the money consuming, beaurocratic red tape waltz ... or ignores the regulations.

A 2wd is more than adequate for that area in the pics ... however 4x4 is handy for the sandy areas,

... and the mud when its wet.

Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #41
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
Govt has restricted lifts to about 2".

Higher lifts can be had - if one does the money consuming, beaurocratic red tape waltz ... or ignores the regulations.

A 2wd is more than adequate for that area in the pics ... however 4x4 is handy for the sandy areas,

... and the mud when its wet.

at least your government lets you use state owned land.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #42
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes I wish I lived in Aussie.

Blue Waffle Build Thread
Built Not Bought #704

Past Jeeps:

Unread 05-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sometimes I wish I lived in Aussie.
I just wish I lived in a place with less.

Sent from the icon of sin.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
idaxj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to learn more about overlanding/expeditions go check out www.expeditionportal.com you will be there for days reading about people who are traveling around the world, gear and other stuff pertaining to overlanding.
idaxj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #45
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

man your lucky .. looks super fun there

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.