Overlanding! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Overlanding!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
Heathc
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redding1327 View Post
Just spent a ton of my evening on this thread.....Wow, just wow....

I am considering doing some sort of mini overland type trip. I will probably go for a 3 day weekend or something like that for my first trip.
I have always loved camping, fishing, hiking (back when I could walk well enough to do so) and being away from civilization in general.
I know, I know, there are gonna be some people who wanna say " 3 days, that's not an overland trip, I once went out for 17 years!"....I will just hit that on the head now, it would be my first trip so I plan on taking a short, fairly close to some sort of civilization trip,as I am sure I will forget something on my first time as well as most of any trips I take afterword.
So, anyways...I really like the idea of overlandin, I just wonder if anyone out there has any suggestions of where to go in the Indiana area. I don't really know of any forest service trails or anything of the sort in my area. All I know of us having is the run of the mill orv park. Nothing worth taking an extended trip to.
i'd be interested in something like that as well. i'm just north of you in Indy. got a few more friends up here with Cherokees and i'm sure at least a couple of them would be interested also.

Unread 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post

Wait, what? So, you like the black top and speed bumps at the mall? I'm confused.
Overlanding means I like the mall? Lol what
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ

Overlanding means I like the mall? Lol what
I'm just saying, if you "overland", wouldn't there be rocks and mud? What else is there?
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805 View Post
Who does it? Where? How? Why?

Enlighten me

Overlanding is just fancy terminology ... to encourage spending on expensive and generally, unnescessary accessories ... to overload your vehicle with.

Basically its nothing more than an extended camping trip, taking in the sights and clocking up the miles.

I can cruise up the blacktop for two hours each way ...to get to a mall.

... or I can do a two day detour like this ...

Soooooo .... Was I, "overlanding" ... or going shopping ?? ..
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
I'm just saying, if you "overland", wouldn't there be rocks and mud? What else is there?
Yes, but overlanding is the same as doing just one or the other.

Personally I think crawling is too slow paced.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

That looks like camping / exploring / wheeling via jeep. I enjoy all those things, but I agree with carves. It's nothing more than adding a "hipster- d-bag" name tag to some thing people already do. Love the activities, Hate the re-title.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves

Overlanding is just fancy terminology ... to encourage spending on expensive and generally, unnescessary accessories ... to overload your vehicle with.

Basically its nothing more than an extended camping trip, taking in the sights and clocking up the miles.

I can cruise up the blacktop for two hours each way ...to get to a mall.

... or I can do a two day detour like this ...

Soooooo .... Was I, "overlanding" ... or going shopping ?? ..
Where is that. Looks awesome
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
That looks like camping / exploring / wheeling via jeep. I enjoy all those things, but I agree with carves. It's nothing more than adding a "hipster- d-bag" name tag to some thing people already do. Love the activities, Hate the re-title.
This.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805 View Post
Where is that. Looks awesome

Its ... Overland ......... and over sea ... a little ways from you ..

Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #25
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The point of overlanding is that it should be more than a weekend type deal. Go read those threads that were linked to earlier and maybe you'll get it.

Try being self-sufficient on your own for a week+ at a time and more than a quick ride to civilization.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #26
redding1327
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
The point of overlanding is that it should be more than a weekend type deal. Go read those threads that were linked to earlier and maybe you'll get it.

Try being self-sufficient on your own for a week+ at a time and more than a quick ride to civilization.
Exactly. It's like hiking. Some people go to a campground, hike out and back for a day, and end up right back at the campground that evening. Others pack up a tent, sleeping bag, food, and water. Leave from the trail head and hike a little farther every day and end up hiking (up to) hundreds of miles, not returning to the same trial head and being out in the backwoods for weeks at a time.
I do agree though that it has been being done for some time and this is just a fairly new name for it.
I would eventually like to be able to do like some of these guys on the thread and stay out for a month without much civilization time.
redding1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #27
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Ohhhh I see. I served in the USMC so tell me more about this " being self sufficient for a week" thing. Ha ha like I said "Cool activities, stupid re-title."
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #28
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Over landing is sweet
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #29
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ohhhh I see. I served in the USMC so tell me more about this " being self sufficient for a week" thing. Ha ha like I said "Cool activities, stupid re-title."
Maybe it's because you aren't culturally aware, or just don't educate yourself, but Overlanding has been popular in Australia since like 1910.

So please tell me more about how it's just a hipster re-title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlanding
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i believe the word "overland" has been commonplace in Australia, and somewhat in Africa & England for a long time. in the U.S. people have tended to use the word "expedition" to refer to that type of travel. "overland" as a term has caught on here in the U.S. only in the past 5 years. unfortunately though, the connotation here is a bit hipster. (i.e. "glamping")

for some recent real overland trips - check out the Turtle Expedition, the BC Roverlanders Canol Road Expedition, and the Paris to New York Jeep Expedition. also this couple riding around the world on an motorcycle (whom i met in Utah just as we were headed out on one of our own little glamping adventures).

of course, as someone else mentioned, people have been doing extreme vehicle based expeditions ever since vehicles were invented. and before that with donkeys, camels and horses.

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.