Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Overlanding!

4K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Project1 
#1 ·
Who does it? Where? How? Why?

Enlighten me

#6 ·
There was a thread a few months ago where a young guy built a bunk in the back and was traveling the country doing odd jobs and seeing the sights. Well maybe that's not what you're talking about.
I jeep camp n wheel quite a bit but would be nervous about breaking down a couple days from a get-out point.

#9 ·
I'm building mine for it as well. I think max from dirtbound has an AWSOME setup on his rig, albeit a bit "bigger" than I would like. I just picked up one of his front bumpers actually and will probably do a custom rear carrier. I'm 3" and 33x10.5s, 4.56s, trutrac front, Aussie rear, ax15/242 tcase. I swapped the 242 because I personally feel its "safer"..if overlanding snow or ice or nasty rain is usually A option so I felt it would be the safer bet..only con I see is its a bit longer 4" roughly and you don't get a true. "Sye". All hack n taps...but you can get 2 low, 4:1, fat chains ect so the. Whole deboggle of the 231 vs 242 I vote 242:)

#14 ·
Just spent a ton of my evening on this thread.....Wow, just wow....:2thumbsup:

I am considering doing some sort of mini overland type trip. I will probably go for a 3 day weekend or something like that for my first trip.
I have always loved camping, fishing, hiking (back when I could walk well enough to do so) and being away from civilization in general.
I know, I know, there are gonna be some people who wanna say " 3 days, that's not an overland trip, I once went out for 17 years!"....I will just hit that on the head now, it would be my first trip so I plan on taking a short, fairly close to some sort of civilization trip,as I am sure I will forget something on my first time as well as most of any trips I take afterword.
So, anyways...I really like the idea of overlandin, I just wonder if anyone out there has any suggestions of where to go in the Indiana area. I don't really know of any forest service trails or anything of the sort in my area. All I know of us having is the run of the mill orv park. Nothing worth taking an extended trip to.

#19 ·
Overlanding is just fancy terminology ... to encourage spending on expensive and generally, unnescessary accessories ... to overload your vehicle with. ;);)

Basically its nothing more than an extended camping trip, taking in the sights and clocking up the miles.

I can cruise up the blacktop for two hours each way ...to get to a mall.

... or I can do a two day detour like this ...

Soooooo .... Was I, "overlanding" ... or going shopping ?? .. :laugh::laugh:

#39 ·
That seriously looks like the most enjoyable thing I've ever seen. Aren't you not legally able to lift vehicles in Australia though? I see yours is not, just wondering.

#21 ·
That looks like camping / exploring / wheeling via jeep. I enjoy all those things, but I agree with carves. It's nothing more than adding a "hipster- d-bag" name tag to some thing people already do. Love the activities, Hate the re-title.

#22 ·
Carves said:
Overlanding is just fancy terminology ... to encourage spending on expensive and generally, unnescessary accessories ... to overload your vehicle with. ;);)

Basically its nothing more than an extended camping trip, taking in the sights and clocking up the miles.

I can cruise up the blacktop for two hours each way ...to get to a mall.

... or I can do a two day detour like this ...

Soooooo .... Was I, "overlanding" ... or going shopping ?? .. :laugh::laugh:
Where is that. Looks awesome

#29 ·
Maybe it's because you aren't culturally aware, or just don't educate yourself, but Overlanding has been popular in Australia since like 1910.

So please tell me more about how it's just a hipster re-title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlanding

#30 ·
i believe the word "overland" has been commonplace in Australia, and somewhat in Africa & England for a long time. in the U.S. people have tended to use the word "expedition" to refer to that type of travel. "overland" as a term has caught on here in the U.S. only in the past 5 years. unfortunately though, the connotation here is a bit hipster. (i.e. "glamping")

for some recent real overland trips - check out the Turtle Expedition, the BC Roverlanders Canol Road Expedition, and the Paris to New York Jeep Expedition. also this couple riding around the world on an motorcycle (whom i met in Utah just as we were headed out on one of our own little glamping adventures).

of course, as someone else mentioned, people have been doing extreme vehicle based expeditions ever since vehicles were invented. and before that with donkeys, camels and horses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.