Overdrive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Overdrive

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
huntbigb

Overdrive

What is a good way to check if my cherokee is actually going into overdrive instead of just staying in lower gears? It's running just over 3000 rpm at highway speeds

huntbigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

do you feel it shift (technically it just locks the torque converter) at ~43mph?

the AW4 is only a 4 speed trans, with a lock-up TC. From a slow acceleration, you should feel a shift at about 41-45mph.

Also define "highway speeds". you talking 45mph or 80mph?
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
huntbigb

Ok thanks, I need to pay attention at those lower speeds I was looking closer to 50-55. The highway speeds I'm talking about is 60-70
huntbigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
do you feel it shift (technically it just locks the torque converter) at ~43mph?
Actually, the converter will lock up after it shifts into overdrive (4th gear).

OP - the easiest way to tell is to just count the gear changes when pulling away from a stop. You should be able to hear, feel, and see (on the tach if equipped) each gear change. First to second, second to third, third to 4th, then the torque converter will lock up when conditions are right. The converter locking up may feel like the trans is shifting again, but it is not. When the converter locks it is just creating a mechanical coupling of the engine and trans, where as when unlocked all the power is being transferred via fluid, thus allowing slippage.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.