Out with the WJ, In with the XJ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Out with the WJ, In with the XJ!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
AaronUArk
1999 WJ 

Out with the WJ, In with the XJ!

Hey fellas, So I'll keep the story short. I might be getting rid of the ol' WJ and moving on to a '98 XJ. It's a 2 door, forest green, with an I6, standard trans., command-trac t-case and 130k original miles. I learned a hard lesson with the WJ and I want to make sure I do my research this time.

So... any advice on what I should look out for this time around? Any common problems I should expect? Someone on the WJ forum mentioned hearing about an engine problem in the 98-00 XJ's, just like in the V8 WJ's. Anyone know anything about that? Hell, any advice at all on the WJ vs. XJ would be great!

Thanks in advance everyone! I value any and all advice!

AaronUArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
seww
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Of course you should get an XJ!
The engine "problem" is on 00-01 due to a different head which might crack. 98-99 is supposed to the favorite years among us XJers...

Other than that, the I6 is solid.

Im at work right now but Im sure some guys will chip in. Though a search here will help you right now.
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
AaronUArk
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the reply Seww. I guess everyone else was at work too! Glad to hear that the 98-99's are an all around favorite. I just got some better pictures (haven't actually seen it in person yet) and unfortunately I was dead wrong on the color. It appears to be a shade of blue instead of green, but oh well, it's still pretty nice. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!
photo_1-2-.jpg   photo_2-2-.jpg  
AaronUArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The 98-99's are the models just after a major design overhaul with reguards to underhood wiring,I believe th 97 may have a different harness not 100% sure on that. All different year xj's have their quirks some better than others like the 0331 head thats prone to crack if not properly maintained on the 00-01's. I drive a 98 for my dd and have a 01 for backup no major troubles with either,tons of research out there for mods and upgrades and plenty of aftermarket parts. I wish you luck with you new rig it looks pretty clean.
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronUArk View Post
Thanks for the reply Seww. I guess everyone else was at work too! Glad to hear that the 98-99's are an all around favorite. I just got some better pictures (haven't actually seen it in person yet) and unfortunately I was dead wrong on the color. It appears to be a shade of blue instead of green, but oh well, it's still pretty nice. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!
Nice, looks like it could use some new rocker panels though (easy fix). As others have said 98-99s are often considered the "best" years, though any 91-99 XJ is pretty good reliability wise (even 00-01s aren't too bad as long as you don't overheat them and maintain the cooling system).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
XJ99XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice xj. Always wanted a 2dr

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.