Which one should I buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Which one should I buy?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Which one should I buy?

I have been looking for quite a while and have found 2 possible candidates. Their odometers are within 15k miles of each other. Both are rust free and have the 4.0 and AW4 which run well and shift well. Whatever I get will be used as a weekend vehicle which will occasionally see trails. The original idea was to go 3" and 31's. Nothing crazy.

First is this 1991 2 door. 3 inch RC lift and 32's which don't look aggressive enough for me. Lots of maintenance items done recently.

Or this bone stock 1997 for $400 less than the 91?

Unread 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Silas09
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would definitely go with the 97, its is 400 dollars cheaper and will have a nicer interior in my opinion than the 91. It will prob have more options on the inside also. Another thing is that I wouldnt want to inherit someones suspension. I would prefer to do it myself than buy someone elses potential problems.

Just my opinion
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
TheBandit
2004 WJ 

97 def nicer interior and mod it the way you want so you know it's done right

04 WJ Overland Parting Out
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

'97 4 door IMO

Although it does look like it's had the hood replaced - maybe just the pic but if it has been swapped what for?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

JeepN4KC. It looks like there is plug for lights on the bumper, possibly the people towed it behind an RV and got it repainted due to stone chips.

OP, I'm inclined to agree with everyone else on the 97, although the 2 doors are cooler than cool, just look like buying someone's problem to me.
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
'97 4 door IMO

Although it does look like it's had the hood replaced - maybe just the pic but if it has been swapped what for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redXJhorse View Post
JeepN4KC. It looks like there is plug for lights on the bumper, possibly the people towed it behind an RV and got it repainted due to stone chips.

OP, I'm inclined to agree with everyone else on the 97, although the 2 doors are cooler than cool, just look like buying someone's problem to me.
Yeah, I noticed the "Jeep" missing as well and asked. He is the 2nd owner and said he said he wasnt aware of any collision work. The hood appears to be a clearcoat issue. Heres another pic.

Unread 01-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

91 looks like it's in better shape and a lot less rusty plus it's a two door which I'd take any day unless I had kids. Based off the garages I'm assuming the 91 is cleaner and probably better taken care of. 97 also looks like it might have had some front end damage at some Plus it's a two door which I'd take any day unless I had kids.
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The front bumper is also mis-aligned on the passenger side. Possible collision damage??
On the plus side, it's already setup for front tow hook attachment

Any idea which T-case they have?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Normally Id go with the one of the two thats not lifted, but Im going to contradict myself and say go with the 2 door. Motorcharge is onto something with the appearance of the two garages. I do home inspections for a pest control company and the second I pull up to a work location I look at the garage and look for clutter around the outside, landscaping, etc. Its a profiling of sorts but after so many years Ive found its a good indicator of what type of person I will be dealing with when I knock on that door.

The 2 door looks clean and I see no real signs of hackjobs. Shop area looks tidy best I can tell, gives me the impression it was well maintained. The 97 4 door would look 100 times better with a fresh coat of black on flares, bumper caps, and trim removed. That said, it does seem to have a few things going on that seem a bit sketchy. Honestly looks like its just been sitting outside a long time along with the possibility of a front end collision. Just looking at in a pic and I can almost bet it smells musty and ancient inside. I see a lot of potential issues needing corrected that would sap up the price difference. Just the funky wiring harness of 97's alone would have me voting to pass on it. Especially since the other option is a pretty sharp 2 door.

Buy 2 door, trim fenders, buy 33" MT's, done. /thread
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Mike934

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

LIAR!

Buy 2 door, trim fenders, buy 33" MT's, gear & lock 1 axle, done /thread

Unread 01-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I vote for the two door.
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

^Yes.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'd say 2dr!

2014-01-18_15-39-47_859-1.jpg

2014-01-13_16-18-34_16-1.jpg

Unread 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sae23 View Post
any idea which t-case they have?
np231
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Normally Id go with the one of the two thats not lifted, but Im going to contradict myself and say go with the 2 door. Motorcharge is onto something with the appearance of the two garages. I do home inspections for a pest control company and the second I pull up to a work location I look at the garage and look for clutter around the outside, landscaping, etc. Its a profiling of sorts but after so many years Ive found its a good indicator of what type of person I will be dealing with when I knock on that door.

The 2 door looks clean and I see no real signs of hackjobs. Shop area looks tidy best I can tell, gives me the impression it was well maintained. The 97 4 door would look 100 times better with a fresh coat of black on flares, bumper caps, and trim removed. That said, it does seem to have a few things going on that seem a bit sketchy. Honestly looks like its just been sitting outside a long time along with the possibility of a front end collision. Just looking at in a pic and I can almost bet it smells musty and ancient inside. I see a lot of potential issues needing corrected that would sap up the price difference. Just the funky wiring harness of 97's alone would have me voting to pass on it. Especially since the other option is a pretty sharp 2 door.

Older gentleman owns the 97. Point taken on the garage. I used to do property appraisal and know what you mean. Was already thinking it would clean up well with some of the things you mentioned. The 2 door owner purchased it for his daughter and did all the maintenance so it would be "safe and reliable". No evidence of hack job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.