Which one should I buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Which one should I buy?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Reply
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Turtle71
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 582
Which one should I buy?

I have been looking for quite a while and have found 2 possible candidates. Their odometers are within 15k miles of each other. Both are rust free and have the 4.0 and AW4 which run well and shift well. Whatever I get will be used as a weekend vehicle which will occasionally see trails. The original idea was to go 3" and 31's. Nothing crazy.

First is this 1991 2 door. 3 inch RC lift and 32's which don't look aggressive enough for me. Lots of maintenance items done recently.


Or this bone stock 1997 for $400 less than the 91?


__________________
My slow 83 CJ7 Build:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/turtle71s-83-cj7-project-1136836/[/url]
Turtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Silas09
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 47
I would definitely go with the 97, its is 400 dollars cheaper and will have a nicer interior in my opinion than the 91. It will prob have more options on the inside also. Another thing is that I wouldnt want to inherit someones suspension. I would prefer to do it myself than buy someone elses potential problems.

Just my opinion
__________________
98 XJ, Indiana
Silas09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
TheBandit
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Posts: 331
97 def nicer interior and mod it the way you want so you know it's done right
__________________
96 XJ going full widths and all home built

04 WJ Overland Parting Out
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,943
'97 4 door IMO

Although it does look like it's had the hood replaced - maybe just the pic but if it has been swapped what for?
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
redXJhorse
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mangliao, Guam
Posts: 313
JeepN4KC. It looks like there is plug for lights on the bumper, possibly the people towed it behind an RV and got it repainted due to stone chips.

OP, I'm inclined to agree with everyone else on the 97, although the 2 doors are cooler than cool, just look like buying someone's problem to me.
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Turtle71
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
'97 4 door IMO

Although it does look like it's had the hood replaced - maybe just the pic but if it has been swapped what for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redXJhorse View Post
JeepN4KC. It looks like there is plug for lights on the bumper, possibly the people towed it behind an RV and got it repainted due to stone chips.

OP, I'm inclined to agree with everyone else on the 97, although the 2 doors are cooler than cool, just look like buying someone's problem to me.
Yeah, I noticed the "Jeep" missing as well and asked. He is the 2nd owner and said he said he wasnt aware of any collision work. The hood appears to be a clearcoat issue. Heres another pic.

__________________
My slow 83 CJ7 Build:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/turtle71s-83-cj7-project-1136836/[/url]
Turtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Motorcharge
Registered User
1991 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 12,102
91 looks like it's in better shape and a lot less rusty plus it's a two door which I'd take any day unless I had kids. Based off the garages I'm assuming the 91 is cleaner and probably better taken care of. 97 also looks like it might have had some front end damage at some Plus it's a two door which I'd take any day unless I had kids.
__________________
These new sig limits suck. Thanks a lot Canada.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
sAe23
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles / SFV, California
Posts: 2,581
The front bumper is also mis-aligned on the passenger side. Possible collision damage??
On the plus side, it's already setup for front tow hook attachment

Any idea which T-case they have?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,971
Normally Id go with the one of the two thats not lifted, but Im going to contradict myself and say go with the 2 door. Motorcharge is onto something with the appearance of the two garages. I do home inspections for a pest control company and the second I pull up to a work location I look at the garage and look for clutter around the outside, landscaping, etc. Its a profiling of sorts but after so many years Ive found its a good indicator of what type of person I will be dealing with when I knock on that door.

The 2 door looks clean and I see no real signs of hackjobs. Shop area looks tidy best I can tell, gives me the impression it was well maintained. The 97 4 door would look 100 times better with a fresh coat of black on flares, bumper caps, and trim removed. That said, it does seem to have a few things going on that seem a bit sketchy. Honestly looks like its just been sitting outside a long time along with the possibility of a front end collision. Just looking at in a pic and I can almost bet it smells musty and ancient inside. I see a lot of potential issues needing corrected that would sap up the price difference. Just the funky wiring harness of 97's alone would have me voting to pass on it. Especially since the other option is a pretty sharp 2 door.

Buy 2 door, trim fenders, buy 33" MT's, done. /thread
__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Mike934
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal, Ca
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post

Buy 2 door, trim fenders, buy 33" MT's, done. /thread

LIAR!

Buy 2 door, trim fenders, buy 33" MT's, gear & lock 1 axle, done /thread


__________________
[QUOTE=Motorcharge;15252353]Overlanders do it over land via overlanding because they like to overland?[/QUOTE]
Mike934 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
PaYankee
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 233
I vote for the two door.
__________________
99 xj 2wd/94xj 4wd np231 3lift
PaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 4,971
^Yes.
__________________
- '99 XJ Sport -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #13
S8NNG8
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 4,529
I'd say 2dr!

2014-01-18_15-39-47_859-1.jpg



2014-01-13_16-18-34_16-1.jpg

__________________
D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Turtle71
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sae23 View Post
any idea which t-case they have?
np231
__________________
My slow 83 CJ7 Build:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/turtle71s-83-cj7-project-1136836/[/url]
Turtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Turtle71
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Normally Id go with the one of the two thats not lifted, but Im going to contradict myself and say go with the 2 door. Motorcharge is onto something with the appearance of the two garages. I do home inspections for a pest control company and the second I pull up to a work location I look at the garage and look for clutter around the outside, landscaping, etc. Its a profiling of sorts but after so many years Ive found its a good indicator of what type of person I will be dealing with when I knock on that door.

The 2 door looks clean and I see no real signs of hackjobs. Shop area looks tidy best I can tell, gives me the impression it was well maintained. The 97 4 door would look 100 times better with a fresh coat of black on flares, bumper caps, and trim removed. That said, it does seem to have a few things going on that seem a bit sketchy. Honestly looks like its just been sitting outside a long time along with the possibility of a front end collision. Just looking at in a pic and I can almost bet it smells musty and ancient inside. I see a lot of potential issues needing corrected that would sap up the price difference. Just the funky wiring harness of 97's alone would have me voting to pass on it. Especially since the other option is a pretty sharp 2 door.

Buy 2 door, trim fenders, buy 33" MT's, done. /thread
Older gentleman owns the 97. Point taken on the garage. I used to do property appraisal and know what you mean. Was already thinking it would clean up well with some of the things you mentioned. The 2 door owner purchased it for his daughter and did all the maintenance so it would be "safe and reliable". No evidence of hack job.
__________________
My slow 83 CJ7 Build:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/turtle71s-83-cj7-project-1136836/[/url]
Turtle71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.