OG XJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > OG XJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGR8TOPS HD TJ Replacement HingesPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness Kits

Unread 02-17-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

OG XJ Build Thread

Here goes for my build thread. Mostly here for my to keep track of whats going on with the old Jeep.

Last year I traded in my bobber project for an '84 XJ Wagoneer Limited. This is the 4th XJ I have had, and the oldest. I'm really stoked that it's a Wagoneer, it's not for everyone, but I love the woodgrain!
So I traded this(not the harley)

For this

I got the jeep knowing the 2.8l GM v6 had a blown head gasket, so right after getting it home I tore the carb and head off. It wasn't pretty. The cylinder walls were a little rusty, and tan sludge everywhere throughout the head and block. So harnessing all the power of Google I found that the 2.8l GM is a pile o' crap. And the 3.4 bolt in Camaro motor isn't much of an upgrade.

After alot of research and thought, I decided I want to go all out and throw a Chev 350 in there. I love fuel injection too. So I decided on a 96+ Vortec. I might end up making a cowl hood because clearance issues with the top of the motor, but we'll just have to see. I ended up picking up a '99 Yukon that had been in a front end collision for a whopping $500. High mileage, but engine runs great, transmission shifts smooth, transfer case shifts gears good too. other than the affected area, the truck is in great shape. I am planning on swapping in the engine, tranny, and transfer into the jeep. Hopefully...

For the exterior I ordered new Woodgrain vinyl, and ordered Monstaliner that closest matched the factory color. More on that later.

For the interior i'm not real sure whats gonna happen yet. the color is horrific, but is in great shape(what's not missing). I cant find anything that matches this color either, so it's either paint it, bedline it,or swap it all out.

Right now the engine bay is all cleared out except the block. The drivelines are disconnected. All that's left is to find some time to yank out the engine tranny and transfer case!

WoodyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quick Links:
WJ Steering Box on XJ install
Radiator Install
Aluminium Fan Shroud and Taurus Fan
4" Lift Rodeo Bastard Pack

Plans:
v8 Engine and powertrain swap
Radiator & E-Fan Setup
3-4" of lift
31"ish tires on stock wheels
Rear Locker
Redo Woograin
Monstaliner
Light Bar
Figure out interior
Overhead console
CB
Sound bar
Unread 02-17-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
workwagon

Looking forward to seeing this thing getting all fixed up and a v8
workwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Crawled and excited to see where this one goes.
Unread 02-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
ramthis426
2005 WK 

love the woodys
Unread 02-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Slowly making progress on a busy week. starting to take apart the stuff on the Yukon. The biggest thing on my mind right now is what I'm going to do with the transfer case. Its electronic, so I can either figure out the wiring, and swap over the electric transfer case, transfer case control module,and the electric push button stuff, or I can do a little fab and make the transfer manual. or buy a manual case which I really really don't want to do
Unread 04-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I decided to hit up Advance Adapters for my motor mounts, I used their gm v8 kit for the xj PN: 713109. they look nice, welds look great!

They go in easy enough, take out your existing motor mounts, put these on, and that's it

*Take off the plate behind the motor mount here that is between the motor mount and the block. It has a rod the goes from the motor mount back to the transmission. This plate(on both sides) will add too much width to the motor and it will NOT fit in the motor mounts that are on the frame rail.
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Old engine coming out

Managed to take the engine, trans and transfer case all out at one time
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Front lift installed:
Got some 3" lift springs locally. The jeep already had a 2"(I think, maybe 3") spacer on it, so it didn't have any coil spring isolators, I ended up using the spacers along with the springs, so I should have about 5" of lift.

Unloaded, Before the SBC was in

Loaded,SBC in, but still have a jack under the transmission
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Engine and Tranny going in
Engine is a 5.7L Short Block Chevy, Trans is a 4l60e

The new setup is a little bigger than the old....

Accidentally dropped the motor too fast and damaged the header panel, it was already damaged and needed replaced, so no biggie

ALL IN!

Unread 04-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is relevant to my interests.
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #12
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC View Post
This is relevant to my interests.
That deserves a
Unread 04-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #13
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you have my undivided attention
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2015, 07:38 AM   #14
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I missed out on a 92 waggy with 90k on the clock and i've been kicking myself ever since.
Unread 04-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #15
WoodyXJ
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Got the T-case mounted to the tranny. I bought a np241c to replace the electrically shifted np246c so I could have a floor shift, I will have to move the crossmember back a 4 or 5", shouln't be too hard.

Today I picked up a WJ steering box the mounts outside of the frame, I need the extra room for a decent size radiator. I have read about guys having problems with radiator size and cooling problems, so I'm gonna try to fix that before it becomes a problem. The WJ box will probably take some figuring out, but I think it's my best option. I also picked up a zj pitman arm to aid with the angles.

I tried using some hedmen hedders meant for a tj with a sbc, but they werent gonna fit, so I broke down and bought Advance adapters headers they have for the conversion. another $300 down the drain...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.