off idle grinding sound? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > off idle grinding sound?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

off idle grinding sound?

99 xj 4.0 with AC. Every time the rpms are around 800-1200 it makes like a grinding, vibrating sound. I thought it was the PS pump so I switched it out for an autozone one cause the bearing felt loose...wrong. replaced both idlers...wrong. checked U joint but I am certain it is rpm based. All the other pullies feel tight and don't make noise when I spin them. I can't for the life of me figure it out but it is driving me crazy. Belt tension feels good and everything looks to be right. Maybe my oil pump is dying? Great pressure though, always at least 60 lbs.....help?

RABBIDCOW55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Is it a grinding sound or squealing sound? I noticed that on mine the mechanical fan is hitting what i think is the A/C line(not sure since I don't feel like looking at it now). Could check that.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I thought the same thing, or maybe rubbing on the shroud but it's clear. I'll take a video tomorrow and post it for review.
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The motor mounts are probably bad, causing the fan to rub the shroud. Check the transmission mount as well.
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
RABBIDCOW55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the long wait. Turns out it was the fan clutch on its way out. I checked it before and it seemed tight but went out today after working 14 days in a row and it's loose. Thanks for the help fellas

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.