North American XJ Associations 25th Anniversary in MOAB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > North American XJ Associations 25th Anniversary in MOAB

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

North American XJ Associations 25th Anniversary in MOAB

It was a one in a lifetime trip to Moab for the 25th Anniversary of the Cherokee put on by NAXJA. The official dates of the event was Tuesday October 7th thru Saturday October 11th.

My brother and I started our trek to the mecca of four wheeling on Sunday morning. I wanted to do a pre run of Moab Rim on Monday because I was going to lead it on Wednesday and Friday. I had also made prior arrangements to meet EricsXJ on Monday for the run. Eric has never been to Moab so I knew that the trip for him would be extra special.

Monday morning arrived and my brother, myself, and Eric met at a predesignated spot for the run up Moab Rim.

It was a great day to run the rim with the sun shining and few people on the trial.

Eric making the turn up Devils Crack with Tim following close behind. It is such an amazing view of the canyon from the crack.

Tim climbing the ledge after Devils Crack

The next obsticle was the Z-Turn:

Tim showing the proper line up the step obsticles ledges

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:
View Cruzin Illusion's Rig
(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
freeburg
1987 MJ Comanche 

wish i coulda been there
Unread 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
_Trucker
'Bigger Member'

1989 XJ Cherokee 

good to see some pics on this site...i've been looking on naxja,but only seen a few of you and Eric.looks like ya'll did some nice wheeling.

NAXJA member # 3388
_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Since the major obsticles were out of the way it is a great time to look back down the canyon for another breath taking view.

At the top of the of the rim there were many smaller ledges that had to be dealt with.

We soon came to an area that is called the car wash. There is a step down hill then a what seems to be a puddle. It may not look deep but looks are sometimes very decieving. (Because I had previously run this trail on other trips to Moab I knew better)

Driving into the hole to show Eric how deep it is.

Eric and Tim was soon to follow. Why should I be the only one to have fun.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Unread 10-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Soon to follow was a semi steep climb that is easier than it looks.

EricsXJ and the Cruzin Illusion Rig:

After a few more ledges and a section of some sandy road we came to a large dome of slick rock that we had to drive up. For those who have not been to Moab it will completely surprise you what you can drive up. At the top of the second dome it makes for a great place to take group pictures of your rigs and it also gives you a great panaramic view of the area.

After about 20 minutes of taking in the scenery we were off to the overlook for somemore spectacular views and some lunch.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 10-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Soon we made to the overlook and was not disapointed.

The La Sal Mountains

Moab and the Arches National Park in the background

Tim on an out cropping

After we spend about 45 minutes having lunch it was time to head back for registration for the event.

The trail branches off and you take a sandy wash thru a small canyon to get back to a Y in the trail. There are a couple of places you can screw around on. One is a sand hill and right after that is a spot that you can flex your rig out for some nice photos.

A look back to make sure the group stays together.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

We soon make our way back to the rim and to the Z-Turn. I caution anyone that does this trail for the first time make sure you have someone spot you down just to make sure you are on the proper line. It is easy to flop or roll your Jeep here.

Once down from the Z-Turn you approach Devils Crack. It is much more intimidating going down then coming up. If the wrong line is taken you can sky a tire or ride down on two wheels flexed out.

It was great pre run and we got back in time to register for the trails we wanted to run for the rest of the week.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That night a couple of SoCal guys joined up with Eric, Tim, and myself for some great dinner at Pasta Jays. Afterwards we talked in the parking lot to find a surprise in the back of Eric's Jeep. Hopefully it is not a bad owmen for the rest of the week.

I am currently in San Salvador for work. I got back Saturday and arrived Monday. I will continue to work on the trip report while I get time. There are more great pictures to come.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
XJohnnyC

Congrats to you Tom for winning the Best Built Award at the Show 'N Shine. To me, that was a no-brainer.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC View Post
Congrats to you Tom for winning the Best Built Award at the Show 'N Shine. To me, that was a no-brainer.
Thanks Johnny!!!! I figured that I was not going to win because of the great competition. I don't think I have ever been anywhere that there was that many well built Cherokees.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 10-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
XJohnnyC

Agreed. The red LS1 XJ owned by John from Michigan was probably your stiffest competition.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Those are some awesome pictures you got there Cruzin Illusion! I especially like the ones from the overlook. I have been to Moab about 5 times but only wheeled once in a rental jeep and didn't do anything like that. Looks like a ton of fun!
Cliff333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for those pics Tom!

I'll try and get some of mine posted up soon, but I'll also be doing some sort of a write-up for my site as well. I even caught XJohnnyC in a few of my pictures!

Overall Moab was an awesome experience. I was a bit sad to say goodbye to you guys after the dinner on Friday night. I didn't sleep well at all that night. I think that was because I had such a great time all week and that was when it hit me that it was soon coming to a close. Then I saw CJ7-Tim the next morning and bumped into Stratton (GravesdiggerXJ) on the trail that day. At least CJ7-Tim won something at the raffle that night. I got stiffed!

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
01MonsterXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

wow awesome pics! Maybe when i'm not a broke college student I can make the trip down there
2001 XJ- 5.5 inches of lift consisting of 4.5 RE coils and spacer and ajd trackbar, RC full 4.5 leafs, 1 inch Shackle, RC Control arm drop brackets, Extended brake lines, RE HnT. What I still need: 4.56 gears!!!
1997 XJ 4.5 Inch lift, 32's, SOLD
2000 XJ 2 Inch Lift, 30's, SOLD
1990 XJ Cut Fenders, 32's SOLD
01MonsterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Thanks for those pics Tom!

I'll try and get some of mine posted up soon, but I'll also be doing some sort of a write-up for my site as well. I even caught XJohnnyC in a few of my pictures!

Overall Moab was an awesome experience. I was a bit sad to say goodbye to you guys after the dinner on Friday night. I didn't sleep well at all that night. I think that was because I had such a great time all week and that was when it hit me that it was soon coming to a close. Then I saw CJ7-Tim the next morning and bumped into Stratton (GravesdiggerXJ) on the trail that day. At least CJ7-Tim won something at the raffle that night. I got stiffed!
I felt sad also after Friday nights dinner after saying goodbye to many of the people that was there, especially to you Eric. I really try to look at it as not goodbye but till next time. I truely believe that there will be a next time. I can say that I have not done to many things in my life that I concider life changing, but this event has changed me just by the people I have made friends with. I know that there will be some that I probably will never see again but I do know that there are some that I will go out of my way to make sure that the friendships stay intacked. Eric, Johnny and Stratton you are all welcome to come on our annual trip to Moab at the end of March. I always make it an invite only trip and I open the invitation to you guys. I never could ask to be aquanted with better people. The only bad thing about a trip with friends to Moab is that you will have to say till next again, but the time you get to wheel together will never be replaced.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.