noob xj build/ project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > noob xj build/ project

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

noob xj build/ project

heres my 94 xj, 2 door, 5 speed, 4.0L, command-trac, 120,xxx miles. JUST GOT IT FOR $500!!!!

and my illegal exhaust system... love california

kirbWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

damn tinypic.com, sorry about the HUGE pics
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
N2OJeep

what are your plans for it?
N2OJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
BlackWhiteXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hah those tires look like they should be on a tractor man. i love the color though
BlackWhiteXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

its gonna be my trail rig. i know it wont pass smog so im just gonna get an ohv pass... possibilities are endless. probably gonna go with a low COG setup, but i barely know anything about vehicles (one of the reasons i bought this rig). i was thinking a 4.5" from rough country (start with short arm), chop it, cage it, break it, and have a whole lot of fun! haha
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

oh, and its an old forest service rig. im the 3rd owner!
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

today i put a new battery in it, got all the electrical connections "cinched down" properly, next ill climb under it and get the support for my glasspack on, full tune up and fluid changes, and rip the interior out (old and moldy- literally). ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? i need some input here!!!!! it shakes a lot driving down the road, what should i look for first (besides having non-radial tsl swampers)?
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The tires are likely the biggest problem contributing to the shaking. I would pull the carpet and spray the inside with u-pol raptor liner, or roll on some monstaliner. I would also run a tail pipe from the muffler on to the rear to lose some of the noise. You will most likely have to put some decent tires on it to see if it shakes without the swampers, if it does the trac-bar bushings, control arm bushings, tierod ends and balljoints would be the most common causes for the shakes. Looks like a fun project enjoy it!
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

ill throw some 235 ATs i have on there and see if that helps. what do i want to look for when i inspect my control arm and trac bar bushings, tie rod ends, and ball joints? im eighteen and trying to learn, so please bare with me!
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

and i just found out that my XJ has the chrysler 8.25 rear! STOKED!!!!!! this deal seems to be getting better and better!
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Check to make sure the bushings aren't cracked/dry rotted, and that the bushings are tight and not sloppy. Have someone turn the wheels back and forth while you lay under the front and watch the trac-bar and tierod ends. If the trac-bar moves around inside the mount the bushings are shot, same for the tierod ends, if the tierod moves a bit before the knuckles move you have play in the ends and need to replace them. For the balljoints jack the wheels up and place a prybar under the tire, then lift it up and down and see if there is movement or if it is tight.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
NotDirtyEnough
2001 XJ Cherokee 

at least the tires got some good meat still good buy for the price have fun with it
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
Curt41
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhiteXJ View Post
hah those tires look like they should be on a tractor man. i love the color though
Rather appropriate because a lot of people, myself included, consider the 4.0 basically a tractor motor.

Check out my build thread

Survivalist Jeep #6

Rusty's 3in Full leaf pack, JKS quicker discos, rear sway bar gone, Carr light bar with 4 KC 6x9's, C4x4 Tow Hooks, Flowmaster Super 44 Off Road Muffler, 31x10.50 Goodyear Dura-Tracs

Looking for a set of pre-96 XJ front bumper endcaps
Curt41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yea, i agree... the 4.0 should be an option for john deere!
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

been a while since i posted last on this thread, heres where my XJ is sittin now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.