Noob from Chicagoland- buying a 99 2 door SE... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Noob from Chicagoland- buying a 99 2 door SE...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
phorty

Noob from Chicagoland- buying a 99 2 door SE...

Hey guys, I'm about to buy 1999 Cherokee SE, 2 door 4x4 with the 4.0L six engine and the automatic. It has about 160k miles and is very clean especially for Chicago. No rust underneath or on the doors and hatch. A little blistering on the roof is all I could find. Anyway, I'm curious what most SE's came with as far as options. Was there a standard equipment package that an SE would usually have in 99? How about gear ratios, axles, limited slip, etc. What options am I missing out on by having an SE and not a Sport. It has roll-up windows, only am/fm, but does have AC. Thanks for the info.

'06 Mustang GT Windveil Blue- Borla Stingers, MGW Shifter, Intake/Tune, GT500 wheels/tires
'93 Mustang LX Notch- 144k, Saleen Speedline Wheels
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ive got a sport and the only luxury is the power windows and locks which i dont even use because i made the doors easily removable. well, i hook up the drivers window power when i put the doors back on because it gets hot with all the windows up. anywho, is it an automatic or manual? manual = 3.07:1 for gears and the automatic = 3.55:1 for gears. your jeep most likely has the chrysler 8.25 in the rear and the dana 30 up front. 99 seems to be the best year for cherokees according to all the options and such.

have fun with it
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
phorty

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that the 99's work out well as far as standard equipment goes. It is the automatic and as far as I can tell, that's the only option. Base stereo, no power, etc. What does the sport have that the SE doesn't?
'06 Mustang GT Windveil Blue- Borla Stingers, MGW Shifter, Intake/Tune, GT500 wheels/tires
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

basically just that..power windows and locks that i know of. i also got keyless entry with mine but it doesnt work right now because i havent plugged the passengers side door back in yet. the only reason why 99s are considered better is because of drivetrain options from what ive heard. but ive still got the base AM/FM cassette..planning on swapping a system in though because the stock system blows. i cant have the bass level above half even with music that has no bass..haha. but its a jeep so i really dont care, but id like to have a good system in it.
Unread 06-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
phorty

I just checked out your other thread, nice work there. It's nice to know the 30" tires fit okay with the factory suspension. I found a set of 16" cherokee wheels locally mounted with 245/75's which is about 30.5". That may be pushing it but the crappy SE wheels have to go right away. What budget boost are you thinking about?
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks man and they fit perfect..i have my rear sway bar out and it doesnt rub but i have yet to disco the fronts so i dont know if the fronts will rub with the front sway bar disconnected.

dont mean to pic whore your thread, but heres the tuck pictures from my thread

its a pube hair from rubbing but they tuck up very nicely into the fenders.

as for budget boost, i plan on going higher than 2" so more of a kit with different stuff.

the plans for right now include

3" rusty's coils
S10 bastard pack
HD SYE with Tom Woods driveshaft
decent set of shocks

i hope to have it lifted by the end of summer because i rarely get opportunities to work in the garage because my parents are way to over protective of their mazda 3.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.