Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

No vibes....but

553 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeepy84 
#1 ·
I recently lifted the xj with the Zone 3" lift. I don't have any vibes per se, but I do think I have a u-joint going out on the DS now. Question is this: Do I replace the U-joint or do I need to do the T/C drop?

Im gonna update photos soon.

#2 ·
To celheck your u joints, grab your ds near the joint and try to move it side to side, or up and down. If there is any movement, replace it. A lot of people mistake backlash in the ring and pinion as bad u joints when they crawl down there, but this rotational play is supposed to be there.

Sent by your mother via my Garminfone

#3 ·
x2 what was said above. if there is any movement in the joint then replace it and drive it again. If you do not need a tcase drop and there is no vibes then do not add one until you do need one which may eventually happen. It just takes away from ground clearance if one is installed if it is not needed.

#4 ·
thats why Im waiting. I definitely have a specific hum and clunk when I step on or off the gas. I dont want to drop the t/c case so I'll check the u joints again. I have 158k on the xj and have NEVER done them (DS u joints) . So worse case is, I upgraded them anyways.

#5 ·
Highly recommend genuine Spicer joints if you replace them/it. I replaced all 3 in a jyard shaft rebuild, its like it's brand new 2 years later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.