No Jeep deserves to be 2wd.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > No Jeep deserves to be 2wd..

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
zmlaelxj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

No Jeep deserves to be 2wd..

I purchased my 93 XJ a few months back and upon buying it I had to install a new transfer case due to a loose chain that connects to the front drive shaft. With the new t case in the 4wd worked with no problems. About a week ago I decided to throw it into 4HI to conduct a small test to see if it was still working fine, i did this while in park and this was followed by grinding and the 4wd shifter to be stuck in 4HI after some wrestling with it its now back to 2HI and is running fine. I've noticed people saying you are supposed to shift it while in motion and i have wondered if this was maybe the cause of my problems. Im a bit shy to put it back in 4HI as it is my daily driver and dont want to risk any permanent damage but with winter weather here it is normally preferred to have your 4wd. Please post your opinions on what may be wrong(human or mechanical error).

zmlaelxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is your shift adjusted correctly to make sure you have positive engagement?

IMO, it doesn't matter if you shift at a stop, or while you're going at a reasonable speed. If you're moving, take your foot of the gas and let the RPMS come down and shift(I throw it in nuetral for a sec while I shift).

Normally when I shift out of 4wd I toggel between neutral and drive to make sure 4wd disengages.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
motoxxxman
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yeah it definitely shouldnt do that. it should go into 4hi with no problems at all especially while in park. is the front driveshaft removed?
is your front axle a non-disconnect axle? or does it have the vacuum operated disconnect?
motoxxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
zmlaelxj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Front driveshaft is there and i believe it is a non disconnect, it just made a grinding noise as if it was locked up or not connecting to the front gear right which is odd because it has worked previously. I'll have to take a look at the t cases guts because i'm stumped. (hopefully not another loose chain :/ )
zmlaelxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
ngrubich
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It could be the switch pin thing on the side of the t case that is hanging. try to move it with your hand and see if you hear the sound again. mine did that when I added a t case drop kit, but all I had to do was reposition the bracket
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.