Newbie needs winch advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Newbie needs winch advice

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 01-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
Roadhawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Newbie needs winch advice

I’m a big “Noob” here so thanks ahead of time to all for the great info I’ve picked up from lurking.
Here’s my situation, got my first Jeep a few months ago (89 Cherokee) and am in the process of getting
a few things fixed / set up. I’ve done a fair amount of off roading with
friends over the years so am not totally (almost, but not quite) ignorant on the subject.
Having seen how handy a winch can be from time to time, I thought one might be a good addition,
but here’s the problem: 85% of the time this machine well be driven on hard pavement.
The idea of dragging around an extra 75+ pounds of winch, plus a replacement
for the stock tin foil bumper seems a bit silly. Not planning on doing any mud bogging
or rock crawling here. I’ve looked at portable winches, but all I’ve seen look pretty puny.
Any idea’s on something “middle of the road” here?
Thanks ahead of time for any ideas.

Roadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
justinkase
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Winches typically need a reinforced bumper to handle the stress. They are nice if you spend a lot of time in bad terrain. I had one on a cj7 I used to have, it was nice but I needed a better battery and alternator.
I use a 4 ton come along and carry about a 150 feet of chain and cable now, but the terrain where I live is mixed and that might still not be enough to hook up to anything. So I also carry a deadman for the open areas. But I break rule number one sometimes and go alone.
justinkase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Winches not only need a reinforced bumper and/or winch plate, they also need to be anchored to something that is properly tied into the body.

No matter the winch set-up, anything worth your time and money is gonna set you back several hundred dollars. (you only wheel 15% of the time.........and of that 15% how often will you need to use the winch?............)

Save your money - get a good tow strap and front/rear recovery points.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
Roadhawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the feedback.
It's not so much the cost I'm worried about, but hauling around all that extra weight
when it's not needed. Also, around here, (Bakersfield, CA) I'd have to weld the whole thing on
or lose it the first time I parked it somewhere at night for more than an hour.
Been thinking of making some kind of a quick release so I could just pop it on
when Im heading out boony bouncing. I like the Idea of the 4 ton come along, sounds like a good compromise.
I think it must be the lazy-assed side of me that likes the idea of pushing a button
rather than yanking on a lever a couple of hundred times.
Unread 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
justinkase
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That's funny I'm originally from Bakersfield. I left there when Rosedale still had some empty fields and almond orchards. I grew up mostly in Oildale, I know what you mean about having to weld it on. I went back a few years ago to visit family and Oildale had just gotten worse.
justinkase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
JMG2

you can get a front receiver , and a receiver carrier for the winch. Then you hook it up when needed.
Rusty's used to sell one for the XJ.
JMG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Roadhawk! We should go wheeling some time, I'm out in Bakersfield as well. I run with infectious off-road
Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
Roadhawk
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the front receiver is a good idea too, thanks.
Justinkase- yeah, whole town's going downhill fast. Wife and I are stuck
here for at least another 10. Thinking of getting the hell out of Dodge when we retire.
Trainhop91- PM coming your way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.