JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   New to xj's (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/new-xjs-1566581/)

93jeepREDSOX 08-24-2013 05:31 PM

New to xj's

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, i have been on this forum for a while, but over in the yj forums. Well i wrecked the yj so as i build it back up i decided to pick up an xj for dd purposes. So hopefully i got fair deal, its a 96, 4.0, 5sp, with what i have been told is a 3" rusty's lift. Only has 126k and has new water pump, thermostat, master and slave cylinder, got it for $2400. Needs new tires and as i figured out on the ride home, has some death wobble. I have researched some about the death wobble which is pretty much replace anything up front that is loose or looks worn. So I have ordered new ball joints, upper and lower, tie rod ends, and a steering stabilizer. So any suggestions of anything else that i should look at to cure the death wobble please feel free to throw out suggestions.

93jeepREDSOX 09-01-2013 09:42 AM

So i think i figured out my death wobble problem, i had the rustys steering "upgrade" and a couple of the tie rod ends were shot. So instead of trying to deal with rustys and get the replacement parts i just went ahead and ordered a zj tie rod and got a stock drag link. So hopefully that solves that problem. Also picked up a set of used 31s and bought some mickey thompson classic rims from my friend.

RustysOffroad 09-05-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93jeepREDSOX (Post 15859757)
So i think i figured out my death wobble problem, i had the rustys steering "upgrade" and a couple of the tie rod ends were shot. So instead of trying to deal with rustys and get the replacement parts i just went ahead and ordered a zj tie rod and got a stock drag link. So hopefully that solves that problem. Also picked up a set of used 31s and bought some mickey thompson classic rims from my friend.

You could get the replacement parts from almost anywhere. :)

The replacement part # for the tie-rod ends are:
#52005739R / MOOG part # ES3096R (Right Hand)
#52005739L / MOOG part # ES3096L (Left Hand).

AKIQPilot 09-06-2013 12:05 AM

Good looking XJ. Welcome to the forum. Look real close at both ends of the track bar. The axle end bushing wears out pretty easily it seems.

93jeepREDSOX 09-10-2013 11:09 AM

Yea i think i may just order a new one next month with a steering box brace just to be safe. I put on the new drag link and tie rod and drove it around, got up to 45-50 and it seemed better. Needs and alignment though cause the steering wheel is off and the tires are out of alignment. Unless there is a way i can do it myself or with a friend.

All of the tie rods on the rustys "upgraded" steering were toast though so i am hoping they were the main cause. Nothing else seems to move if i give it a good shake with my hand.

The time now is 01:29 AM.