New to the XJ World! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New to the XJ World!

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
powpowgnargnar
2000 XJ Cherokee 

New to the XJ World!

So I just bought what i believe to be a 2000 jeep cherokee limited 4.0 I6, the only thing questionable is that it has 218,000mi. Ive always been a skeptic of high mileage vehicles like that, especially since I've never had one, but it seemed as if the PO had taken good care of it. Now it has trail rated badges which confused me, I was under the impression only wrangler Grand Cherokee got the badge.

powpowgnargnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You'll want to make sure the 0331 head isn't cracked. And the badges can be gotten off other rigs and applied to a Prius if one wants. They don't really indicate anything.
Unread Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #3
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

With XJ's Mileage is a distant third consideration to maintenance and rust. In 00-01's it's even farther behind b/c of the 0331 head. In that year, to save weight, Chrysler used an aluminum head on the cast iron block. It's not a problem in normal operating conditions BUT if the vehicle overheats, they expand at different rates and the head can crack next to cylinder 3, letting coolant into the engine and oil into the coolant.

Check your coolant for a mucky brown goopy quality that might indicate it has oil and/or rust in it. That's a sign of a cracked head That and a badly rusted unibody are pretty much the only reasons an XJ should be dead before 400k barring a wreck. Even if you DO have a cracked head the car will run longer than you'd think like that, giving you time to either decide on a repair, build a stroker to replace it when it finally goes, or just put it back on the market to buy another vehicle you're more comfortable with.

You SHOULD however either get a report from the PO or check all of the 150ish thousand mile items. Cooling system probably wants a flush/refresh, all moving parts in the steering should be checked (ball joints, bushings and TRE's), and check for signs of fluid leakages or any weird sounds around the diffs and wheels (signs of worn seals/bearings). You should also check all the fluids, especially the tranny/transfer case and differential fluids. for signs of burning. It'll smell bad and look a little blackened. Not black, just a little darkened like someone dropped some charcoal dust in it. You didn't put your location on your profile, but if you're anywhere with a bit of rust you should check your floorpans and all the metal lines, most especially your fuel lines.

None of those things are really XJ-specific, it's just a list of things to go through with any high-mileage car. As I mentioned earlier the only thing the XJ is more sensitive to than any given car is a well-maintained cooling system.

Side note: XJ's never got a trail-rated badge from the factory. Someone got one from a junkyard or a vendor because they liked the idea of having it.
Unread Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #4
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

00-01 head is still cast iron. not aluminum
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #5
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
00-01 head is still cast iron. not aluminum
Whoops. What was it they did that on....How long have I been wandering around with that incorrect bit of trivia in my brain?!

Oh well. I stand by everything else I said.
Unread Today, 07:06 AM   #6
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

How long have I been wandering around with that incorrect bit of trivia in my brain?!
Since '01
Unread Today, 10:48 AM   #7
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post

Since '01
Didn't know **** about cars until at least '07. Didn't worry about an xj engine til a few after that. Mine ran beautifully.
Unread Today, 12:45 PM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

Didn't know **** about cars until at least '07. Didn't worry about an xj engine til a few after that. Mine ran beautifully.
Don't feel bad. I've been driving a Jeep since '98, and never knew most of this stuff till I joined the forum 3yrs ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.