New XJ Owner Here! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New XJ Owner Here!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 08-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Bob-E
1998 XJ Cherokee 

New XJ Owner Here!

Hi all! I just purchased a 1998 Cherokee Sport last night. Actually, I made the deal last night, but we are doing the paperwork and picking it up Monday. I would get it sooner, but I'm headed out of town tonight with the wife and kids for a long weekend. I'm so excited! I don't know if I'll sleep all weekend!

Here are some specs...

124,000 miles
very little rust, especially for PA!
4.0L Engine
5-Speed Tranny (I still can't believe I actually found one)
essentially all stock
OEM alloy wheels (the 5-spokes)
trailer hitch
$3200...pretty much in line with KBB

The only problems I could find were that the radio doesn't work right...she had attempted to install a new Pioneer and now a couple speakers don't work...should be an easy fix, and the passenger front window wouldn't go down, so I'll have to check into that. Hopefully, it's just a loose wire or or the window is stuck...something simple. Other than that, it just needs a good going over and some fresh fluids. Man, I can't wait!!!

Now I just need to sell my car. Anyone looking for a 1996 Ford Taurus??

Bob-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Renegade_Rick

Welcome to the cult! Just remember that now if you see a broken down jeep at the side of the road you haft to stop and help. It's the jeeper code! Sounds like you got a good deal on a nice XJ. Xj's often have issues with their power windows breaking. Alas they are fairly easy to fix.

R

1999, Sport, 4-door, 4L-I6, AW4 auto, np231, 8.25 rear, dana 30 h-p.

BFG T/A KO P235 tires, KC 130w slimline lights, skid-row t-case skid more to come!
Renegade_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Bob-E
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Rick View Post
Xj's often have issues with their power windows breaking. Alas they are fairly easy to fix.

R
What is usually the problem? Can you give me a place to start looking?
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-E View Post
What is usually the problem? Can you give me a place to start looking?

This is one of the common issues fix. LINK
Lets see some pics of the new "Money Pit"!
MN Jeeper #18
norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck selling your car, that's all that is holding me back from purchasing a 97+ XJ right now is trying to get rid of my money pit LT1 Caprice.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Bob-E
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJeep99 View Post
This is one of the common issues fix. LINK
Lets see some pics of the new "Money Pit"!

Thanks for the link, but my problem seems a little different in that neither the driver's switch nor the passenger's switch would make the door go up or down. So I'm guessing it is either the motor is shot or that the window is somehow bound up. That is what was wrong with my Taurus when the back window quit working.

And if I can figure out how to post some pics, I will. Lets try this...

Unread 08-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Bob-E
1998 XJ Cherokee 

YAY!!! It worked...the photo thing, that is.
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
norsky
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-E View Post
Thanks for the link, but my problem seems a little different in that neither the driver's switch nor the passenger's switch would make the door go up or down. So I'm guessing it is either the motor is shot or that the window is somehow bound up. That is what was wrong with my Taurus when the back window quit working.

And if I can figure out how to post some pics, I will. Lets try this...

Like the color, clean lookin XJ! What are your plans with it?

Is that a rainbow sticker on the passenger window? I think that fits in the "worst mod" thread...
MN Jeeper #18
norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Beautiful!

Lucky with the 5 speed. Should be very fun.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Bob-E
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNJeep99 View Post
Like the color, clean lookin XJ! What are your plans with it?

Is that a rainbow sticker on the passenger window? I think that fits in the "worst mod" thread...
Well, that pic is in front of the seller's house and those are her things hanging from the mirror. She also had a Harley Davidson steering wheel cover and a Toby Keith (or some country singer) front license plate. I expect she will have them cleaned out by the time I pick it up on Monday. If not, those "mods" will be removed as soon as it pulls into my driveway if not sooner.

As far as plans, of course I'd like to build the biggest baddest Cherokee on the planet. But unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees where I live...something about the climate and having 3 kids (all girls) and a wife. But eventually, probably a small lift (2"-3") and slightly larger tires (31's?)...something just to set it off a bit. It's going to be a daily driver for work when the weather doesn't allow me to ride my bike. So I have to keep it reasonable at least for now. Immediate plans are a complete tune-up including all new fluids and filters. I'm sure it needs shocks, and I'll be jacking it up to check the ball joints and tie-rods. Basically just giving it a good once-over so I know it's reliable.
Unread 08-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

hey good luck with your new xjand dont worry once you take the kids off road they will let you spend their birthday money on mods,my 6 year old daughter loves goin off road
98muddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im actually interested in that ford.

no.
im just kidding

good find!
Arbslikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
grogie
Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's a nice find there! Looks like a fun project.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
xj964
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to the Jeep family. Looks like a clean jeep. The few things that need fixed should not take that long or be all that hard. Monday can't come soon enough right?
xj964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #15
Bob-E
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I finally picked up the Jeep last night and I'm pretty excited. Now the fun begins! Actually, like I said before, the main things are just going to be just a good going over to make sure everything is good to go. I had about a 60 mile drive home and I can definitely tell the front end is a little loose. Above 60-65mph, it starts getting a little shimmy seemingly from the right front. It may just be a tire out of balance, but I'm betting on a loose tie-rod or ball joint. With 124,000 miles, this can be expected. I need to jack it up and get under there to look at everything.

Also, my sister-in-law had driven me up there to get it and on the way home, she said that occasionally, when I put on the left turn signal, both the right and left would flash as if I had on my 4-ways. It didn't happen all the time, but just sometimes. I've not had time to look into it, but I'm thinking maybe something with the hitch wiring?? Who knows...does anyone have any clues?

Also, I had mentioned above about the passenger front window not working...well, it works now. I don't know why...I'm guessing that there is either a loose connection somewhere or perhaps the window was stuck a bit from sitting. She had said that the Jeep had little use over the past 2 years and that is why she was selling it. I don't know, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

And finally, does anyone know where I can get an owners manual? Are they available online somewhere? I picked up a Haynes manual over the weekend. But I'd like to have an owners manual too just for the simple stuff.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.