New Tire Recommendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New Tire Recommendations?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineParacord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.com

Unread 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Delo99
2000 XJ Cherokee 

New Tire Recommendations?

Hello Jeep Forum,

My tires are worn. I don't go offroading as a hobby, I drive on streets and highways 95% of the time.

But I like to be prepared for if I need to go offroad, or snow/weather etc. I'm looking to purchase new tires and am hoping to find a happy medium where I can get a smooth ride on pavement but still be able to get the performance I need for adverse conditions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Anthony

Delo99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Cooper Discoverer AT3 or ATW sounds like a good fit.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
jonsnw93
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You should start with what size you want
jonsnw93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Take advantage of the Tire Rack website. Loads of good useful information there. Did not say whether you have 15 or 16 inch rims but the Goodyear Affinity with Kevlar look like a good choice imo. At least that is my choice when I get a set later this year. Nice that they are available in blackwall (235/70R16).
PimaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you need to go offroad...

How likely is it that you'll really leave the road? No offense, but lots of guys who DD their Jeeps on the road can't let go of the fantasy/possibility of going off road with it even if they never ever will, and they buy tires that aren't ideal for them based on this or simply because they feel they need the look (wanting the look is actually a better reason for getting more aggressive tires than necessary vs being in denial about never offroading in my opinion).

If you will indeed be leaving the road, what are the conditions you'd most likely be encountering? I actually DO leave the road from time to time, and my Kumho APT's which are unquestionably highway tires still get me from point A to point B so far.

Are you opposed to using a second set of tires for winter? Do not answer this question until you read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/w...tires-2701698/
Unread 05-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
Delo99
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for the share mschi, lots of info there and I do understand the point you're making. I'm not too big on the idea of getting winter tires mainly because of the extra expense and also storage as I live in a small apartment. I go on dirt trails with some rocks a few times in the summer, it snows quite a bit here in the winter. I've also had Kuhmo tires on the front but Goodyear wrangler on the back for the last 5 years (probly not a great idea to mismatch but it saved me $ at the time).

I do outdoor exploring/camping and I've been going out to remote backroads more frequently the last couple years (not in my car, it was off the road the last year). So I just don't want to be stuck with tires that have me spinning out on backroad trails , but I also don't need top line rugged off road tires either. That's why I think it makes sense to get something that is somewhere in between. If they allow a reasonably smooth road/highway drive, then I've got nothing to lose right? Whereas strictly highway tires might limit me. Just my thoughts at this point..
Unread 05-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Extra expense is debunked in the link I gave you. If you can't store them anywhere, though, I can't argue with that.

Cooper AT3 is one of the best AT's out there and is especially well-mannered on the street, but it's not too great in icy winters. If Cooper ATW lives up to the hype, it might be a fantastic choice since you need one tire to handle summer and winter.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor or Adventure w/ Kevlar might be a great fit for you. I'd go with the Adventure if you have 16" wheels (you still haven't shared what size you need with us), but if you have a 15" wheel, the Silent Armor is proven.

General AT2 and Kumho AT KL78 are more aggressive but still decent street manners and handle winters pretty well.
Unread 05-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Delo99
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great. Thanks a lot for the info I appreciate it, I will update with the final decision.
Unread 05-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

Firestone Destination A/Ts. They're inexpensive, do great in most weather and I had no problem with them in mud the few times I took my first XJ offroad either.

You may not plan on going offroad, but it doesn't hurt to have tires that have decent offroad performance on a 4wd SUV just in case for bad weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #10
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Falken Wildpeak ATs. I may not have them on my XJ but I do have them on my 06 Chevy 3/4 ton and they got me through the 5ft of snow November storm here in NY without even really trying.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Falken Wildpeak ATs. I may not have them on my XJ but I do have them on my 06 Chevy 3/4 ton and they got me through the 5ft of snow November storm here in NY without even really trying.
Take a picture of them once they've gotten 15-20k miles on them then look at it next to a picture of what they were brand new. Hate those tires. They're great when new, but oh boy does "new" go away really fast. Your AT's quickly turn into slicks well before they're even close to the wear bars because of all those nonsensically shallow grooves.

Look at how much more meat is still left on this tire above the wear bars! It's only halfway through its service life and is already a completely different tire than on day 1.

Unread 05-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
00_GA_XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Another affordable A/T tire (depending on size) is the old trusty BFG A/T KO's. They last a good while, and are great on and off-road. I haven't bought a set in a really long time, as I tend to lean towards a little more aggressive tire. Not sure how they price compared to the Coopers or Firestones. But definitely a good tire to consider. Great in winter too.
00_GA_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_GA_XJ View Post
Another affordable A/T tire (depending on size) is the old trusty BFG A/T KO's. They last a good while, and are great on and off-road. I haven't bought a set in a really long time, as I tend to lean towards a little more aggressive tire. Not sure how they price compared to the Coopers or Firestones. But definitely a good tire to consider. Great in winter too.
Another note on the BFG AT KO's, even when worn down they never end up looking or acting like a worthless street tire like the models above.
Unread 05-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #14
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I had a set of falkens on my jeep patriot, They were awesome for the first 9k miles or so, then they were terrible. i would NOT recommend them.

I have a set of Hercules all trac's on my XJ now, 31x10.5r15. They are wearing really well, are pretty quiet. I have about 4k miles on them and quite a few of those miles are off road, and they have held up really well. They were also cheap, I shopped around at local shops and got them for $93 each.

aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #15
redXJhorse
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Take a picture of them once they've gotten 15-20k miles on them then look at it next to a picture of what they were brand new. Hate those tires. They're great when new, but oh boy does "new" go away really fast. Your AT's quickly turn into slicks well before they're even close to the wear bars because of all those nonsensically shallow grooves.
You must got a bunk set man. I got about 6K on mine with no signs of tread wear, my buddy runs a set on his TJ, he's over 30K on his and they don't even look half as bad as the ones you pictured. The roads here on Guam eat tires too, if you can get more than a year a year and a half out of a set of tires its impressive.
redXJhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.