New Owner....What Will Go Wrong? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New Owner....What Will Go Wrong?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Dakin
1999 XJ Cherokee 

New Owner....What Will Go Wrong?

Hi All.

I just entered the world of jeep ownership and I'm looking forward to being a part of the community. I picked up a manual 99 XJ sport with 130k miles and the 4.0 I6. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to things I should replace or watch out for. Just looking to make it a reliable DD at this point and then I'll start working on the upgrades. Is their anything notorious that goes wrong on these?

Thanx,
Alex

Dakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
rsurran
2005 WK 

Probably already a reliable DD. You have one of the best years for XJ's. I would just over the normal maintenance items at first if the history is unknown. Check all fluids, maybe do a minor tune up. XJ's take some getting to know. You have noises to learn, any little quirks. You are wise not to jump in on mods immediately. One of the best things to do is read a few hundred posts and learn from the experts.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakin View Post
Hi All.

I just entered the world of jeep ownership and I'm looking forward to being a part of the community. I picked up a manual 99 XJ sport with 130k miles and the 4.0 I6. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to things I should replace or watch out for. Just looking to make it a reliable DD at this point and then I'll start working on the upgrades. Is their anything notorious that goes wrong on these?

Thanx,
Alex
Welcome to the World of Jeeps, Alex.

The 4.0L is a pretty tough engine. With a little TLC, these things will do 300k without much trouble. Whenever, I purchase a new to me Jeep, I start out by going over it from front to rear, changing fluids, and looking at the condition of belts, hoses, and that type of stuff. Water pumps, radiators, electric fan relay, are very important as 4.0L of approximately your Jeep's age have issue of these failing, then your Jeep over heats and blows a head gasket... I am not an XJ person, but I think you will also want to make sure that you are using gold colored anti freeze, not green colored. If I am wrong, there are Jeepers here that will correct me. Also, the AX-15 (transmission) you will want to use 10W30 motor oil or Redline in it.... not gear oil as gear oil has proven to be the death of the brass synchronizers in the transmission. U-joints in both the front axle shafts and both driveshafts would be something to watch in the next 20k miles. If you do or want to learn to do your own repairs, Jeeps are great vehicles for this as there are tons and tons of write ups on the web that include lots of photos and step by step instructions. Stu Olsen Jeeps ( http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.asp ) has a great site that provides 100's of these write ups. Even though a lot of them are written with the Wrangler as the subject, the process is usually the same for the XJ (Cherokee) as the same axles, transmissions, engines, etc. were typically used in both the XJ and the Wrangler. Of course, their is a years and years worth of information about the XJ on this forum as well.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats. Your rear main seal will leak sooner or later, don't panic, part of owning a 4.0 equipped Jeep model
Like its been suggested, go thru the maintenance on it so you have a good starting point, with very close attention to the cooling system,those things run hot, it must be top notch to prevent bigger issues,
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You are in the northeast; it will rust out long before it wears out.
Unread 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Dakin
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanx for all the great info. I am fairly competent at doing my own repairs and can't wait to get my hands into the jeep. Sounds like the cooling system will be the first thing I run through. I'm thinking I'll just replace the water pump since I'm not exactly sure how old it is or what kind of shape.

My next concern is preventing further rust. It's pretty damn clean underneath but I live in a ****ty state for salty roads and I've read that these cars can rust up something fierce. Any advice on this subject? I was just gonna take out any existing rust and use some POR15, unless you guys have any suggestions.
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search to confirm this information as I am not an XJ guy, I think you need to use Valvoline Zerex G0-5 HOAT anti freeze.... its GOLD in color, not green and I had to order it from O'Reilly's Auto parts as no parts house that I could find had it in stock.

Quote:
Thanx for all the great info. I am fairly competent at doing my own repairs and can't wait to get my hands into the jeep. Sounds like the cooling system will be the first thing I run through. I'm thinking I'll just replace the water pump since I'm not exactly sure how old it is or what kind of shape.

My next concern is preventing further rust. It's pretty damn clean underneath but I live in a ****ty state for salty roads and I've read that these cars can rust up something fierce. Any advice on this subject? I was just gonna take out any existing rust and use some POR15, unless you guys have any suggestions.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Best thing you can do up front is read through the FAQ up top and the tech one in the tech section. As for stuff to do to the actual XJ, replace all your fluids, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, oil change, filter change (air, fuel, and oil), pcv valve if you have one (cant remember, 97+ may not have them), and run seafoam through it.

It's all easy, basic maintenance that shouldn't cost you more than $150 or so and will take care of any minor issues, mpg issues, ect. Same things you should do off the bat with any used car.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hose it down with a good deruster (purple power's works great but it does have acid in it so don't let it get on concrete) and get any problem areas as clean as you can and throw some bedliner on them. The salt won't eat through it, it's cheap, and it goes a hell of a long way for preventing rust. Personally I wouldn't bother with doing it on replaceable parts (except axles) but I'd definitely do it on the unibody.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
dlancer
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Welcome to the world of Jeeps and the forum. Like you I just purchased a 2000 Cherokee sport about a month ago. It however is not my first Jeep. I also have a 2004 Wrangler and I used to own a 96' Cherokee. You have already received a lot of good advice. As far as rust goes. My 96' had a good amount of rust in the rockers. i basicly cleaned out as much as I could the I used a rust restorer product on it first. Then I used a spray on bedliner everywhere I could reach. Finally I coated everthing with rubberized undercoating. My son now has that Jeep and it is holding up pretty well.

On my new 2000 Cherokee there is little rust showing. The rockers are very solid as are the doors and floors. What I did was go online and bought three cans of Eastwood inner frame rust coating. It comes in a spray can with a small hose about 12 inches long. The hose has a multi directional sprayer on the end to spray in all directions. I drilled several small holes in the rocker panels, I then inserted the tube as far up into the rocker on both sides. I began spraying while moving the tube back and forth. I sprayed it until it started running out of the drain holes. After that I was able to insert the hose into each door drain hole and sprayed inside the doors again until it started draining out of the drain holes. I also sprayed up into the rear quarters thru a rubber plug on each side. The whole project took only a couple of hours. The Eastwood product is not Cheap. I think the three cans with shipping cost $71.00. I thought it was well worth the price if it helps slow down the rust. Finally I plugged the holes I drilled with some of those push plugs that hold trim on. Good luck with your new Cherokee and have fun!
dlancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Dakin
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlancer View Post
i basicly cleaned out as much as I could the I used a rust restorer product on it first. Then I used a spray on bedliner everywhere I could reach. Finally I coated everthing with rubberized undercoating. My son now has that Jeep and it is holding up pretty well.
After doing some reading that's actually exactly what I was thinking of doing. Seems like this is a great compromise between durability and noise insulation.

That Eastwood stuff sounds perfect too. I'm gonna order some when I order the bed liner and undercoat.
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
After doing some reading that's actually exactly what I was thinking of doing. Seems like this is a great compromise between durability and noise insulation.

That Eastwood stuff sounds perfect too. I'm gonna order some when I order the bed liner and undercoat.
i like this guy... he reads instead of posting a million threads. good for you.

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Dakin
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt_Diver View Post
i like this guy... he reads instead of posting a million threads. good for you.
Ha...Thanx Durt....There is so much information on here, the hardest part is just weeding through it all. That and trying to not get too side tracked by all the awesome mods you guys are doing to your rigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
As for stuff to do to the actual XJ, replace all your fluids, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, oil change, filter change (air, fuel, and oil), pcv valve if you have one (cant remember, 97+ may not have them), and run seafoam through it.
Looks like I have a CCV system. I'll be purchasing the parts to replace the 90s on that as part of my tune up. Removal Link below for anyone else looking for information.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ite-up-733669/
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When you do the water pump, replace the fan clutch too. They tend to get problematic as the jeep ages and people don't think about them when they have cooling issues.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.