new to me Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > new to me Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

new to me Jeep

Okay, so, I bought a new jeep. The main reason (according to my wife) that I was allowed to buy it was because we're running into transportation issues with getting our son to work. My reason, and i'm trying to be sneaky here, is because I wanted a toy that I didn't have to worry about breaking because my '98 is my daily driver so I have to be careful when friends say "let's go wheeling".

My current plans: BB using S10 leaf's and f150 coils. recovery points, front and rear. lunchbox locker in the rear (maybe one in the front, money allows). On board air because the R12 system doesn't work and I'm not swapping it over. Rock sliders (already have the metal, I was going to put them on my '98, but since the '91 will see more rock, that changed). Manual switch for the Aux-fan. Cable bypass for vacuum front axle.

I Paid $1000 for it. 272K miles. Seems to run very well. Not a bit of rust, except where the PO hacked the flairs to fit bigger tires. No Cancer It also has the actual gauges, not the dummy lights. It has some small issues, but I took it out back, of my property, and made it up my hill climb in 2wd, something I've never been able to do in my '98.

Things I know are wrong that need to be fixed, and soon:

Bearing in the steering column. It's all kinds of floppy.

dash board lights. I've replaced almost all of them, but some, like my bright light indicator, still don't work (Completed)

NSS: No reverse lights, will start without a problem in park or neutral. I'm not going to pull the NSS, I'm just going to wire in a manual switch and call it done.

Front Seat: The current one has a lean to the left. I'm either going to pull it apart and fix that or replace it with ZJ seats. Haven't decided yet. (completed by putting the passenger set in the driver seat location and repairing the broken driver seat and putting in the passenger seat location)

Windshield wiper fluid leaks out. I believe it's the pump, but I have to check that better and get that fixed.

If it's leaking any other fluid, I can't tell.

Oil blowback into the air filter. I think it's the PCV? valve that connects from the valve cover to the airbox. (completed by cleaning the CCV system, no blowback yet.)

U-Joints all the way around, especially the front axle.

Pictures: because we all love pictures:

Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good... I would stay away from f150 springs though... They are extremely stiff... I went with some 91 thunderbird springs
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Copy t-bird springs instead of F150 springs. I'm still researching it. Wife says I can't spend a lot of money so I'm on a tight budget. I did negotiate a lunchbox Locker for $80, never been installed. It's been sitting for a couple years zip tied together, not sure if I should look into a spring kit for it or not.

While I was fixing some more of the electrical issues, such as the bright light indicator (it's nice to have) and I realized the radio wasn't screwed in. When I tightened that up, I realized why it wasn't. The PO had installed it incorrectly. While correcting that, I realized that some of the cheap crimp connectors he'd used had come loose, as I was looking to fix that, I realized that I just needed to start from scratch on the radio install. It's a decent JVC unit. I had to order the factory harness because the PO had cut the wires to short, so I'm delayed on that for a couple days. I did get the rest of the dash straightened out and buttoned up, only to realized I have to pull it apart again when I install the reverse light switches and aux-fan switch this coming weekend.
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Careful with the lunchbox in the front if you wanna save money. Pre 97 xjs used smaller u joints and a locker will put a lot of strain on them. If you really want to run one, I'd swap to 97+ axles to get the better joints. Look into Almost Alloy. Cheap way to keep the ears on the axles from failing with the added torque with the locker. Otherwise you'll be going through axles constantly.
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I'm going to be careful with that. The only reason I'm thinking of doing the front is because I'm planning on the manual cable bypass for the vacuum disco on the front axle, which means I could be in 4hi (or lo) and be 3 wheel drive until I pull the disco, if I need it, then disengage it when I don't and go back to 3wd. Still looking into that though. It seems to work in my head, but can only find a few people who've done it.
Unread 10-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
Yeah, I'm going to be careful with that. The only reason I'm thinking of doing the front is because I'm planning on the manual cable bypass for the vacuum disco on the front axle, which means I could be in 4hi (or lo) and be 3 wheel drive until I pull the disco, if I need it, then disengage it when I don't and go back to 3wd. Still looking into that though. It seems to work in my head, but can only find a few people who've done it.
Itll work, got a couple buddies that run their welded fronts on the street with this method.

New Jeep looks like itll make a fun toy, now put in some work this winter and bring it to Wishbone next year.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Vegas, I plan too. I live about 15min from Wishbone and have had my '98 there several times, but I've always been afraid of breaking it. I'm looking forward to having a toy that I can wheel and not have to worry about whether I can get to work on Monday. They are open this weekend, and I wanted to take it out, stock, just to get a baseline, but unfortunately, time got away from me and I won't be able to. A friend wants to make a trip to WITC in January and says I have to have it ready by then. We'll see. With the holidays and as many kids as I've got, don't know if I'll have the money.

I did change the passenger and driver side seats and repaired the broken seat so they both feel like new. I also got the radio installed correctly and my son and I are going to do the reverse lights tomorrow. I'm also hoping to do the aux fan tomorrow. That'll finish up the electrical for a while.

On a side note, we are having an electrician come and add some things to the house in the next week or so and I got permission from the wife to add an outlet for a deep freeze in the garage. The electrician said, since they are already running a new circuit out there, that if I want to add a circuit for a welder, all I would have to do is pay for the extra material since the labor is covered under the freezer install. So, I look to have a welder in the near future (probably after xmas).
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I suck about getting pictures, but I replaced the front shocks today. I'm sure the old ones were original and s.h.o.t. What a difference in ride quality. I also fixed the center console. Next week we're looking at the rear shocks, removing the rear sway bar, and front brakes. I've talked to the wife and any serious money will have to wait till after xmas. That means, no lift, ect, till then.
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

well, the wife went to bed early so I added a fuse block for added lights, ect. This is a precurser to back up lights and overheads. This will also run my aux-fan.

I also snapped a picture of my battery terminals and my son soldering the radio harness. I like these battery terminals. makes it so much easier to remove the negative if you're working on something and it's easier to add a wire, if you're adding things.

Unread 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Per a request in another thread, they wanted more info on how I cleaned the CCV system. I was getting blow back into my air filter and, while it was nasty, didn't want change it until I had that problem fixed. A little searching (I'll pause here for the gasp that somebody knows how to use the search function)...and I found a clogged CCV elbow is the most likely problem. I pulled mine apart and, voila, it's clogged. I cleaned it using PB Blaster and a coat hanger. I also took the connection of from the intake and and cleaned that. I didn't get a picture of that. The other parts:

Here is the CCV elbow at the rear of the valve cover:

to remove it, the hose just pulls out and the CCV turns 1/4 turn counter clockwise. I put them both on my bench to work on them:

Unread 11-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Per a request in another thread, they wanted more info on how I cleaned the CCV system. - I cleaned it using PB Blaster and a coat hanger. I also took the connection of from the intake and and cleaned that. I didn't get a picture of that. The other parts:

Here is the CCV elbow at the rear of the valve cover:

to remove it, the hose just pulls out and the CCV turns 1/4 turn counter clockwise. I put them both on my bench to work on them:

Nice! Thanks, I tried to pull that think out before - didn't know to turn it.... Now I can clean mine.

BTW, nice battery connections, but you really should coat them with something before the copper and brass start to corrode.
Liquid tape, in-ox, spray-on battery terminal protector... then I would cover as much as possible with some heat-shrink, preferably marine grade (self sealing) to keep that nice work in good shape.

Harbor freight sell a little heat-shrink assortment for $3-$4 ? I got the marine, and the colored assortment
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't know they needed to be coated with anything. I did this on my '84 toyota and my '98 jeep without coating them and I seem to remember a little corrosion on my toyota but no real problem, per se. Thank you. I'll do it, once I get the wife to allow me to spend money on it again.
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Vegas, I plan too. I live about 15min from Wishbone and have had my '98 there several times, but I've always been afraid of breaking it. I'm looking forward to having a toy that I can wheel and not have to worry about whether I can get to work on Monday. They are open this weekend, and I wanted to take it out, stock, just to get a baseline, but unfortunately, time got away from me and I won't be able to. A friend wants to make a trip to WITC in January and says I have to have it ready by then. We'll see. With the holidays and as many kids as I've got, don't know if I'll have the money.
Yea I hear ya on not wanting to mess the 98 up. Ive been down about 4 or 5 times this year, easy to screw up a nice rig down there haha.

Whats WITC?
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Yea I hear ya on not wanting to mess the 98 up. Ive been down about 4 or 5 times this year, easy to screw up a nice rig down there haha.

Whats WITC?
Wheeling in the country. Down south of Nashville I believe. I've never been there. I hear it's bigger then WBR and some of the trails are a bit more serious. Like 3 steps, on crack. Most of the trails have bypasses.

Again, I don't know if I'll get down there in January, with the group. I'm thinking of saving my money, putting it in the '91 so I'll be ready to go in the spring/summer.
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I didn't know they needed to be coated with anything. I did this on my '84 toyota and my '98 jeep without coating them and I seem to remember a little corrosion on my toyota but no real problem, per se. Thank you. I'll do it, once I get the wife to allow me to spend money on it again.
Very welcome
Even using some old spray paint would help - that 'little corrosion' gets bigger ... if you plan to keep the vehicle long.
I live in the moist N.W. so rust/ corrosion (& mold...) is a constant threat.

I've found cheap/ free cans of old silicone spray-on waterproofing and spray lubricant at garage/ yard sales, I use that on all kinds of things.

... still can't keep my XJ dry in the rainy season (sep-jun)
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.