New to me 95' Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New to me 95' Cherokee

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

New to me 95' Cherokee

So I have been in the Jeep family since 2001 when I purchased my first jeep, a 92 YJ. I loved this jeep and ended up putting a lot of work into it, including a 3.5" suspension lift, SYE, 33s, etc.

The problem that I faced was everyone I used to go four wheeling with stopped going and my jeep ended up sitting more than I drove it, since it wasn't the best on the highway it usually only made local "chore" runs to the hardware store, grocery store, etc....

So this past fall I decided to sell it and pick up a Cherokee which I could use for hunting, fishing, towing my atv, etc... I don't want to end up modding my rig off the highway, but I also would like it to perform decent on old logging roads, in the snow, etc..

So I finally found a jeep that suited me and put a deposit on it last night, im going to pick it up tonight. Its a 95' Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP231 with 155k miles, a little bit of rust and overall decent condition for 1500. I'll be sure to post pics tomorrow but im excited to be back in the Jeep world!

Jay

Unread 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

here is a pic of my former wrangler....

Unread 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
hguzmanjr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsahara24 View Post
So I have been in the Jeep family since 2001 when I purchased my first jeep, a 92 YJ. I loved this jeep and ended up putting a lot of work into it, including a 3.5" suspension lift, SYE, 33s, etc.

The problem that I faced was everyone I used to go four wheeling with stopped going and my jeep ended up sitting more than I drove it, since it wasn't the best on the highway it usually only made local "chore" runs to the hardware store, grocery store, etc....

So this past fall I decided to sell it and pick up a Cherokee which I could use for hunting, fishing, towing my atv, etc... I don't want to end up modding my rig off the highway, but I also would like it to perform decent on old logging roads, in the snow, etc..

So I finally found a jeep that suited me and put a deposit on it last night, im going to pick it up tonight. Its a 95' Sport 4.0L/AW4/NP231 with 155k miles, a little bit of rust and overall decent condition for 1500. I'll be sure to post pics tomorrow but im excited to be back in the Jeep world!

Jay
Cool rig and congrats w/ your new purchase! I just picked up a 95 XJ Country last week. You're right it does feel good to be back Here's pic a of my XJ:

()_) ()_)--o-)_) 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport - RIP
______________1995 Jeep Wrangler S 2.5L 5speed
______________1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0L - Even trade for the 95 YJ
______________1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L - SOLD
______________2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L
______________1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L - Traded
______________1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L - Traded in for the 99 Sahara
hguzmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice jeep, looks like its real clean!

So I picked it up tonight, it was smooth on the highway at 70, suspension is a little worn but the jeep feels solid. Little rust but I'm not looking for a beauty queen, Ill clean it up a little and drive it!
forumrunner_20110517_210019.jpg   forumrunner_20110517_210041.jpg  
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! I'm on my 3rd week in hunt for my first xj. Sounds like you got a good deal
sirlasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
XJ_Owner
1993 XJ Cherokee 

picked this up about three weeks ago for 1330

XJ_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlasvegas
Looks good! I'm on my 3rd week in hunt for my first xj. Sounds like you got a good deal
Thanks and good luck with ur search, I took about 2 months to buy this one. I found that the good deals sold in a day on craigslist, gotta be quick!
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Owner
picked this up about three weeks ago for 1330
Does anyone have any idea why I can't get the pictures to increase there size on the jeepforum droid app?? I see the thummbnails fine but when I click on them the screen goes blank???

looks like you got a good deal for that jeep, wish I could see it a little better!
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
hguzmanjr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

So I picked it up tonight, it was smooth on the highway at 70, suspension is a little worn but the jeep feels solid. Little rust but I'm not looking for a beauty queen, Ill clean it up a little and drive it!
Looks great and I particularly like the rims you have on your Jeep I had that same style rim on my 99 a few years ago wrapped w/ 31" MT/R.
()_) ()_)--o-)_) 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport - RIP
______________1995 Jeep Wrangler S 2.5L 5speed
______________1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0L - Even trade for the 95 YJ
______________1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L - SOLD
______________2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L
______________1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L - Traded
______________1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L - Traded in for the 99 Sahara
hguzmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

My Nephew has a 96 that is a twin. So far, it has proven to be a very solid vehicle even considering a 18 Y/O kid is driving the snot out of it and providing very little TLC, if any.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hguzmanjr View Post
Looks great and I particularly like the rims you have on your Jeep I had that same style rim on my 99 a few years ago wrapped w/ 31" MT/R.
I didn't even notice how much I liked the rims untill i got it home last night and started admiring it, haha....when I went to check it out I was thinking more about rust and mechanical issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
My Nephew has a 96 that is a twin. So far, it has proven to be a very solid vehicle even considering a 18 Y/O kid is driving the snot out of it and providing very little TLC, if any.
a kid had been driving my jeep for the last year, although they had documentation showing oil changes at least! And they recently did the water pump/coolant flush/t-stat.....

I put 150 miles on it since i picked it up last night, it runs great, no weird noises, tranny shifts smooth, engine sounds great, 4wd engages....The only thing that I noticed is when I drive it the temperature sits around 150*, when it idles it goes up to 200* and stays there.... My old jeep woudl run at 200 no matter if i was driving or idling....not sure if the tstat is broke or what, i'll keep my eye on it for sure....
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't even notice how much I liked the rims untill i got it home last night and started admiring it, haha....when I went to check it out I was thinking more about rust and mechanical issues....

a kid had been driving my jeep for the last year, although they had documentation showing oil changes at least! And they recently did the water pump/coolant flush/t-stat.....

I put 150 miles on it since i picked it up last night, it runs great, no weird noises, tranny shifts smooth, engine sounds great, 4wd engages....The only thing that I noticed is when I drive it the temperature sits around 150*, when it idles it goes up to 200* and stays there.... My old jeep woudl run at 200 no matter if i was driving or idling....not sure if the tstat is broke or what, i'll keep my eye on it for sure....
Jeeps should run at 210..... and use a 195 degree thermostat... I wonder what thermostat your Jeep has in it?
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
jsahara24
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Jeeps should run at 210..... and use a 195 degree thermostat... I wonder what thermostat your Jeep has in it?
Thats what I thought, its weird b/c when I idle it will creep up to 210 and it won't go any higher....but when im driving it drops right down to 150....which makes me think its a 195* tstat, and the extra air is causing it to drop...

maybe the gauge is broken? not sure
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats what I thought, its weird b/c when I idle it will creep up to 210 and it won't go any higher....but when im driving it drops right down to 150....which makes me think its a 195* tstat, and the extra air is causing it to drop...

maybe the gauge is broken? not sure
Temp shouldn't be jumping all over the place...... the sending unit for the gauge maybe junk.
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks and good luck with ur search, I took about 2 months to buy this one. I found that the good deals sold in a day on craigslist, gotta be quick!
ya, ive had them sold right out from under me within 6 hours of being posted while I was on my way to go see it. 24-48hrs is the average time line on how long they last though.
sirlasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.