New to jeeps, rebuilt title.. advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New to jeeps, rebuilt title.. advice

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Jersey210

New to jeeps, rebuilt title.. advice

Hi I am new to the world of jeeps, I have been looking for a new car and decided on a jeep because of their reliability. I have always had cars but decided it would be nice to have more room & 4wd. Won't really be taking it off-roading but would be nice to have for camping & trips to the mountains. Have looked at a WJ but have heard that they are less reliable than the XJ's, and just really love the look of the classic jeep, although I've never actually driven one. I found one on CL today but it is a rebuilt title, I talked to the guy and am supposed to go look at it later today. He says it was hit in the front and he replaced all the parts and paint and it runs great. It is a 2000 Cherokee Classic with 150,000 miles and he's asking $2750. My budget is only around $3000 and all the good ones I've found have been sold before I can get to them, and it's hard to find one in that price range that is not over 200k miles. So, it seems perfect but I was just worried about the rebuilt title. I don't know much about jeeps or cars in general so I wanted to ask if I should be ok or should I keep looking? Thanks so much

Jersey210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

First off, don't know what's your def of "reliable" if you mean it keep running without any problems, scroll down the any tech section, see how many things can go wrong. Have you heard it's called jeep for Just Expect Every Problem? but that's something jeeper also enjoy doing, fixing them up and see it grow stronger everyday like a child.

On a bright side, if you are willing to take care of it, there is unlimited resources, aftermarket parts for you, with the help of YouTube and forum like this you'll be in heaven.

Now go on to the deal you look at, gotta say rebuilt title is a case by case. Ask everything, where was it hit, what part was replaced and the check everything.

But honestly, XJ under 200k for $3000 or less isn't that hard to come by, just wait a bit. I got mine at 190miles for $1000. Great shape, bone stock no rust, And it's not even rebuilt.
TylerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As with every "is this a good deal" post, XJ prices are highly geographically dependent.

Unfortunately, you live pretty close to me, and XJ prices here are CRAZY HIGH. The reason all the good $3000 XJs are gone before you can get to them is that it's rare for someone to sell one for that cheap.

Camp out on craigslist, be patient, and pull the trigger quick. I'd pass on the rebuilt. You can probably get one with no AC for $3k.
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Jersey210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerU View Post
First off, don't know what's your def of "reliable" if you mean it keep running without any problems, scroll down the any tech section, see how many things can go wrong. Have you heard it's called jeep for Just Expect Every Problem? but that's something jeeper also enjoy doing, fixing them up and see it grow stronger everyday like a child.

On a bright side, if you are willing to take care of it, there is unlimited resources, aftermarket parts for you, with the help of YouTube and forum like this you'll be in heaven.

Now go on to the deal you look at, gotta say rebuilt title is a case by case. Ask everything, where was it hit, what part was replaced and the check everything.

But honestly, XJ under 200k for $3000 or less isn't that hard to come by, just wait a bit. I got mine at 190miles for $1000. Great shape, bone stock no rust, And it's not even rebuilt.
Well, everything I have read has been that the XJ's will run forever, not that they will be problem-free, of course I expect problems just like any other car. I was just saying compared to the WJ's which I have heard tend to have more problems.
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Jersey210

I found out that the jeep I was looking at was only a 2wd anyway so I am going to keep my eye on Craigslist and hope I find something.
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Amesbear
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think you'll find there are plenty of XJs out there and if you're patient, you'll find a decent rig at a decent price. Good luck!
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Jersey210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesbear View Post
I think you'll find there are plenty of XJs out there and if you're patient, you'll find a decent rig at a decent price. Good luck!
Thanks, would my best bet be Craigslist or is there anywhere else I could look?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.