new to jeeps.. help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > new to jeeps.. help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

new to jeeps.. help

hey im 16 and just go turned on to jeeps when i got my 97 xj. only thing on it is fog lights and a grille guard and i really would like to start off roading but i don't wanna go unprepared.. what are some necessary upgrades that i should make ( mind you i make minimum wage =])

ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

also plz be specific to what brands of upgrades or just any advice u could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 08-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well first off you need some recovery points for if/when you get stuck. Get some front tow hooks (C4x4 is good and only about $100) and also get a rear tow hitch if you don't have one (U-Haul for about $150 or online for cheap if you install it yourself) If you plan to offroad you should really think about investing in some skids plates and rocker sliders. I'm not sure how serious you are about wheeling but there are some fairly cheap lift kits you can buy that will allow you to clear larger tires.

There are tons of possibilities on what mods you want to do. You will never have money again and you will never be satisfied with you Jeep again.

Congrats
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

thanx that helps. I'm looking at some lift kits not cause the tires on it when i bought it are huge and sometimes rub the fender when im just turning ha.. i'm thinking maybe a 3" lift would be best.
Unread 08-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hey man. i have a stock XJ with 235/75 /15 A/T tires and some rear recovery. it did amazing offraod . dont go heavy duty and go all out . if its mild wheeling
Unread 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

sounds good yea i'm not big on the whole rock crawling stuff just trails with mild obstacles. This is my daily driver so i just dont wanna mess it up if ya feel me.
Unread 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

You could go with the route that I took. I got a 2" lift kit that's made by OME. The kit actually rides at about 2.5" and I am riding around on some 31" tires. It's my daily driver and with this setup there isn't a huge loss in performance or gas mileage.

Mine rides quite well and if you do a search there are plenty of companies that produce similar kits to mine for a decent price. Best of luck in with your Jeep!
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

thanx man sounds great.. see my 17 b-day is coming up and i'm looking to see what i wanna do and its either a new sound system (which i need) or do what i kinda want and get a lift kit so i'm going down the lift kit road right now =] thanx for the help.
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
jshaab2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

man if its a DD keep it clean. small lift good protection and recovery.
dont hack up the beautyof the jeep
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

yep don't worry nothing too big just a lil lift maybe a little bit bigger tires. I'm definately not going to the extreme with my car.
Unread 08-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajxj9197 View Post
yep don't worry nothing too big just a lil lift maybe a little bit bigger tires. I'm definately not going to the extreme with my car.
Its not a car, its a jeep!

Anyways, I want a new sound system too, but I am definitely getting everything else first! (lift, tires, wheels, bumpers)

Have fun with it
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

exactly the guy that owned it before blew out the front to speakers so i only got 2 that work but i could care less, hopefully ill get a lift kit at the end of august then some new tires before winter and i should be set for awhile( at least thats the plan )
Unread 08-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Disco
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pointOH1998 View Post
You could go with the route that I took. I got a 2" lift kit that's made by OME. The kit actually rides at about 2.5" and I am riding around on some 31" tires. It's my daily driver and with this setup there isn't a huge loss in performance or gas mileage.

Mine rides quite well and if you do a search there are plenty of companies that produce similar kits to mine for a decent price. Best of luck in with your Jeep!
Think I could fancy hookin something like this up on mine, nothing too extreme for the DD.
Green Jeep Club Member #210
http://cardomain.com/ride/3127026

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDVL45 View Post
We should go PETA on their *** and set it free!!!! We could call it PETJ...People for the Ethical Treatment of Jeeps
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #14
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajxj9197 View Post
exactly the guy that owned it before blew out the front to speakers so i only got 2 that work but i could care less, hopefully ill get a lift kit at the end of august then some new tires before winter and i should be set for awhile( at least thats the plan )
Thats kind of my plan too! Except I want to get the lift and tires around the same time, though I am wondering if I should just get the lift then the tires later? I have 235s right now so they wouldn't look absolutely ridiculous on a 3" lift but they would look somewhat small. Then I'll buy some 32s
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

yea i was just gonna get the lift as a b-day present and maybe some other stuff, and my tires are fine now but my dad says i gotta get new ones before winter(hes prolly right) so otherwise i would prolly get them at the same time. Once those things are done my jeep will look awesome cause i got a sweet grille guard and some fog lights with them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.