New Jeep owner - stopping in to say hello - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New Jeep owner - stopping in to say hello

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 08-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
ChefEvans
1999 XJ Cherokee 

New Jeep owner - stopping in to say hello

Hi everyone, new Jeep owner Ė just wanted to say hello to everyone before I start posting questions left and right. I have always wanted a Jeep Cherokee and recently came across a 99 Maroon Sport at a great price and now I canít wait to make some improvements and do a little maintenance to it. The Jeep was owned by an older fella and was very well kept. Less than three years ago the entire ac system was reconditioned and it damn near blows ice crystals at you. Thatís a huge plus. The engine has 195,000 and some change and runs like a sewing machine. The radiator and water pump were replaced at around 150,000 miles. I have done some research through Google and it seems the radiator change is not uncommon, so Iím confident I got my moneyís worth and it will last me a long time.

The fog lights donít work, and after a little inspection I found the culprit Ė I removed the bottom plate off one of the fog light housings and a handful of rusted guts fell out Ė apparently they arenít waterproofed very well from the factory. I followed the wires up to the connector and itís a pretty simple two wire setup, so I plan on replacing the fog lights with new ones of the same dimensions and using the existing fog light switch. The horn and cruise control donít work, and I checked the horn relay fuse and itís good so Iím assuming the two problems are related. Also the airbag light is on. Iím not going to touch that one with a ten foot pole Ė when I have the time Iíll bite the bullet and take it to the dealership for that.

It has a JVC cd player. Iíve been a die hard Sony person since I was a teenager so I plan on replacing that in the near future. The rear speakers work fine but the door speakers are not working. I removed the passenger side door panel and the speaker and the wiring looked fine. I think the head unit might not be wired right, or possibly there is some rubbing going on somewhere along the speaker wires. Also I want to put a pair of satellite tweeters somewhere in the front of the cabin. I outgrew the big bass sound a long time ago Ė now I like clarity with well balanced mids and bass. Anyone got any custom stereo installation pics they want to send me?
The only thing that really bugs me about the Jeep is the sagging headliner. I plan on buying a kit to replace it and doing it myself. I have found a few kits online and a few sites that have demoís on how to do it Ė looks pretty straightforward.

So far I love it Ė itís exactly what I wanted and I got it dirt cheap. Looking forward to meeting everyone and talking shop.

Chef

ChefEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
flaymon1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome! Any pics never mind I see it,its nice.v
flaymon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
diskman_1
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nice '99! Welcome to the '99 club. Get some Mothers "Back To Black" and hit that trim up. Drive it and enjoy it.
diskman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
ChefEvans
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well now diskman, you are psychic. One of my first projects was to bring that trim back to presentable somehow. I was considering krylon plastic paint - a co worker of mine used it on a custom fj project and it looked pretty impressive for spray paint. But... if I can bring it back to its original luster without spraying it I would def prefer to do that. I was even considering taking it to the paint shop and painting it a little darker red than the rest of the jeep. I'll hit it with the back to black and see how much I like it.

Thanks
ChefEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice jeep Chef. If i were you, i would pull the door molding off completely and paint the bumper ends with satin black krylon. Look at my profile to see how it will look (mines a 97 but still the same look). Looks more custom with the door molding removed. Use a 3m eraser wheel to get rid of any adhesive left behind. Hope this helps.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Na865
1992 XJ Cherokee 

nice jeep good color choice
2002 Ford Explorer Limited
Na865 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.