New Jeep few questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New Jeep few questions

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
1dayiwill
1996 XJ Cherokee 

New Jeep few questions

I just bought a 1996 Cherokee sport 2wd 4.0 HO for $700. Its pretty beat up but I mainly bought it to pull my boat.
-It has a busted windshield, so does anybody have some instructions on how to replace it? Ive never done a windshield before but it doesnt seem to difficult.
-What size speakers and where are they? It has the rear roof bar but no speakers in it by the way.
-Where the hell are the cup holders? Any suggestions as to how I can add some cup holders?
-How do I stop the buzzing noise when I open the door with the key in it? I want the light to come on when I open the door so I dont want to just disable the button that the door pushes on. Also, why does it buzz for the first couple of seconds that I start it (so annoying).
-What years had the roof console that is rather long an looks as though it has lights and various storage and can I somehow adapt one into my 96 if I happen to find one?
-Ill prob add a catback exhaust from summit soon, any recomendations on a new cat that will fit without welding?
-I read somewhere that it is meant to run at 210 degrees all the time otherwise it will run rich to get it up to temp. However I run at around 150 runnign and 210 at a long light. Should I put in a hotter thermostat or did a read something bogus?

From what I can tell everything is absolutly stock. It has 180,000 miles so Im gonna do as much various maintenace as I have money and time for which isnt much since I go to school full time.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give, Ian

1dayiwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
boondocksaint
1995 XJ Cherokee 

well i'm tired right now so i'll answer two of the easy questions....

there are no cup holders....they're $15 and they go over the e-brake and you can get them from just about any jeep website.

as for the door buzzing, I just ripped out the little "button" in the door frame. the only downside you might find is that the lights will not come on when you open the door....I like that, because it's more tactical, but that's another story.....

hope this helps a little...

White 95 XJ - Jacked up and abused
White 98 XJ - Stock and babied
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
PowAir

the jeep buzzer. Here is what you're gonna want to do about that...look at the drivers floor by the gas and break. On the left side of the fuse box there is this black black box maybe 2 inches tall grab it and pull it out of the backing, its just a plug kind of like a fuse; thats the buzzer. If you want it again later down the road all you have to do is put it back in its place.
PowAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
1dayiwill
1996 XJ Cherokee 

cool, thanks
1dayiwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayiwill View Post
-What years had the roof console that is rather long an looks as though it has lights and various storage and can I somehow adapt one into my 96 if I happen to find one?
The overhead console was introduced in 1990 and was used till 2001, with a redesign taking place in 97. You could find any console from 90-96 and the plug is up under the passenger side dash. You would also need to grab a temp sesnor and plug it in in the vacant spot behind the front bumper. Also you would need to grab the roof brackets.

Here is the write up i used.

http://www.underground-ink.biz/Jeep_...p5/jeep_01.htm
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
1dayiwill
1996 XJ Cherokee 

excellent. thank you for that.
Unread 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
oldmanriver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

-It has a busted windshield, so does anybody have some instructions on how to replace it? Ive never done a windshield before but it doesnt seem to difficult.

Never done it but from what I've heard it's not easy.

-What size speakers and where are they? It has the rear roof bar but no speakers in it by the way.

Two in the door, two in the hatch. Both are 5.5 stock, but most 6.5 will fit in the back and shallower ones will in the front.

-How do I stop the buzzing noise when I open the door with the key in it? I want the light to come on when I open the door so I dont want to just disable the button that the door pushes on. Also, why does it buzz for the first couple of seconds that I start it (so annoying).

Now I know why my light doesnt come on when I open my door

-Ill prob add a catback exhaust from summit soon, any recomendations on a new cat that will fit without welding?

I was under the impression the cat had to be welded for emission reasons, but I don't see why a run of the mill high flow cat wouldnt fit if you didnt want to go oem.

-I read somewhere that it is meant to run at 210 degrees all the time otherwise it will run rich to get it up to temp. However I run at around 150 runnign and 210 at a long light. Should I put in a hotter thermostat or did a read something bogus?

Lots of people seem to think throwing in a lower t-stat will somehow give them more power so swapping it out for a proper one wouldnt be a bad idea. Running rich would actually cause it to produce a little less heat, so that might be bogus (not that it matters)

'90 xj: Wrecked, waiting for the day it can become a full blown trail rig.

'00 wj SOLD (still in family)
oldmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
1dayiwill
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Will a 99 center console fit in my 96 as if it were meant to be or would it need modification?
Unread 08-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
fayettenamvet
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk45 View Post

as for the door buzzing, I just ripped out the little "button" in the door frame. the only downside you might find is that the lights will not come on when you open the door....I like that, because it's more tactical, but that's another story.....

hope this helps a little...
Sir, I like your style.

Regarding the cat, I can't think of anyway you could not weld it on. I don't imagine it would pass emissions with just clamps.
fayettenamvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayiwill View Post
Will a 99 center console fit in my 96 as if it were meant to be or would it need modification?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63809
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
1dayiwill
1996 XJ Cherokee 

How do I get the rear seats out?
Unread 08-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
flaymon1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

the back has two bolts at the bottom that it hinges on you take them out and the back comes out if you flip the bottom part up it has a lever on the passenger side to release the seat quickly.
flaymon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
1dayiwill
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What diff fluid, atf, and power steering fluid do i use. I have no owners manual and searching is a *****. Any recomensations of specific manual to invest in?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.