New to a Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New to a Jeep

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
mkvandenberg

New to a Jeep

Hi -

I'm looking to buy a Jeep Cherokee but don't know which year or model to buy. Looking to spend no more than $6,000.

I want a 4 door with a 4wd. I've read a little about straight Cherokees being better than Grand with the off-roading.

We off road on the weekends - basically going out to the Mojave and riding on old dirt paths, going through washes, climbing hills etc. No rock climbing We've been using hubby's GMC Canyon but got stuck in the sand once and the clearance isn't as high as I would like so a lifted Cherokee would be preferred.

I would also be using the car for my everyday vehicle as well. So it would be great if it was good for both. I don't need the smoothest ride - I'll trade that for off-road capability

Thanks for any input.
Melissa

mkvandenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
lk123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

90+ is best choice 97+ best interior any is great but all years have ther problems for that much u could have a pretty decently built one
93 2wd pos xj sport *sold*
89 nissan 240sx *wrecked*-03 Cbr954rr *traded*
2nd 89 nissan 240sx *sold*
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
rsurran

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Best advice is take someone with you who knows Cherokees and specially those that have been lifted. There are a lot of hacked up Jeeps out there. You are better off getting one that is still stock and doing the work or having someone you trust do it. $6k should get you something decent. 2000/01 XJ's have a head cracking problem and the 98/99's are considered the best years by many. Good luck.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
mkvandenberg

Thank you for the replies.

I've been doing some research and I think the Cherokee with the Selec-Trac would be really good. The years you stated sound about right.

Wish me luck Can't wait!!!!!

Thanks again!
Melissa
mkvandenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Look for a 1996 if you like the older body style, if you want the newer style 1999 is the best year.
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go with a 97-99 and I would recommend going all stock. Try to find sub 115k miles especially with the amount of bone$ you want to spend!
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.