New headers advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New headers advice

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
chalivingston

New headers advice

Hi I'm a 17 year old high school kid and I have a 99 jeep Cherokee sport. Looking to put a new header on and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should get? Are the headers worth it? Anything I should be aware of?

chalivingston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I recommend an APN header. The price isn't much more than a stock replacement, and I've never seen anyone have anything negative to say about them. Some guys say that the APN header doesn't fit under the 99+ intake manifold without a TINY bit of grinding on one of the runners, and some say it fits just fine. I guess you'd just have to be prepared to grind a little bit if you happen to be one of the former. Dorman exhaust header/manifold is a popular stock replacement. Anything else will be WAY more expensive and not worth the money IMO.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just picked up an APN header for my 99 it runs 179 shipped. It is a banks torque tube clone. On the 99 you will have to grind a little off the bottom of the intake on the #6 and #1 runners I have not installed mine yet but I will in the next few weeks when I get time.

Here is a before and after shot of them when I had them ceramic coated imageuploadedbyautoguide1372047569.529921.jpgimageuploadedbyautoguide1372047579.656481.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
chalivingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
I recommend an APN header. The price isn't much more than a stock replacement, and I've never seen anyone have anything negative to say about them. Some guys say that the APN header doesn't fit under the 99+ intake manifold without a TINY bit of grinding on one of the runners, and some say it fits just fine. I guess you'd just have to be prepared to grind a little bit if you happen to be one of the former. Dorman exhaust header/manifold is a popular stock replacement. Anything else will be WAY more expensive and not worth the money IMO.
I have the stock muffler, would you recommend changing it? If so what type?
chalivingston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

If there's nothing wrong with it, there's no reason to replace it unless you want a different sound.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalivingston View Post
I have the stock muffler, would you recommend changing it? If so what type?
If your going to do a header get a 2.5" high flow cat and 2.5" catback. If you want mellow go magnaflow if you want a more throaty go flow master 40, or Magnaflow Magnapack (Which is what I Run)

Here is what my Stock Manifold sounds like mated to a 2.5" Downpipe, 2.5" Freeflow cat, and 2.5" Catback using a 4" Round Body by 18" long 2.5" Magnaflow muffler . I will be posting a Post Header install video on the Weekend of the 13th after I install my header I bought the Exhaust parts from Performance-Curve.net for $203 shipped and had a custom down pipe bent up for $100

I recommend listening with headphones that makes it sound very close to what it does in person .

Unread 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am running a Doug Thorley header with 2 1/4 down pipe (custom made w/o dent) Carsound cat and Dynomax cat back. The Doug Thorley header is the thickest out there at 14 gauge, nickle plated and is the design for the Kolak header. Install was simple on my '97 and has been on for some 80k miles without issue.
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty sure the Thorley header isn't available anymore.
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Pretty sure the Thorley header isn't available anymore.
That is correct, I looked into the Thorley, and Edelbrock header neither is avaliable anymore
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
If your going to do a header get a 2.5" high flow cat and 2.5" catback. If you want mellow go magnaflow if you want a more throaty go flow master 40, or Magnaflow Magnapack (Which is what I Run)

Here is what my Stock Manifold sounds like mated to a 2.5" Downpipe, 2.5" Freeflow cat, and 2.5" Catback using a 4" Round Body by 18" long 2.5" Magnaflow muffler . I will be posting a Post Header install video on the Weekend of the 13th after I install my header I bought the Exhaust parts from Performance-Curve.net for $203 shipped and had a custom down pipe bent up for $100
Ha, I did not realize that was your Jeep. I saw your video earlier today and used that to make the decision to order one of the Magnapacks over one of Magnaflow's oval mufflers.

I was getting tired of listening to this noise. This is a Pacesetter header and exhaust kit. This thing was a complete pain to install and I had to modify their down pipe to actually make the thing fit properly.

LimeLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like mine with my cracked manifold. Just another 12 days before I get the header installed. Having a busy schedule is a pain some times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #12
Mike934

I'm glad to have my tri-y thorley...it'll probably crack...ill be soo pissed!

Ceramic coated of course.

I also have a old mike leech (mopar) header. Claimed to be the only true long tube header for the 4.0. As well as the most gains out of any header. Who knows, I love it though.....It's been run on my rig and now hangs on my wall. It'll find it ways back if this thorley cracks.
500 dollar header on a jeep I payed 1600 for.....makes since right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.