New guy wanting opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New guy wanting opinions

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
tman52

New guy wanting opinions

I've been looking for a reliable daily driver for awhile, I've had some bad luck in the past with vehicles and happen to have a buddy who has an XJ and loves it. Which got me looking into them as well, they seem to be pretty reliable for the most part-so I began looking for one. Seems like in the midwest they're either high mileage, lifted, or beat to piss farm Jeeps.

Fast forward a few weeks of looking, found a couple low mileage XJ's (60-80k) within 3-400 miles of me. BUT they're going for 8-9k, which is more than I had originally intended to spend...

My question is from all of your biased standpoint. (1.) Why should I buy this XJ opposed to say a newer Honda Civic or something similar-in terms of a reliable daily driver. (Obviously it has some benefits of 4x4 and not being a Honda). (2.) Do I need to be paranoid about not buying a higher mileage XJ? Obviously how the Jeep was taken care of is more important than overall mileage, but a jeep with half the miles you have a better chance of overall reliability, and I'll be able to preventatively maintain it as well as I own the Jeep. (3.) Am I crazy and should just buy a 160,000 mile Jeep and love life?

Thanks for the input in advance, hopefully none of these questions are completely stupid and I didn't waste your time.

tman52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Municipal bonds.

It's a jeep thing. We have all suffered at times because we drive Jeeps, I'm guessing most if not all of us on here with a shrug and a smirk have ventured out somewhere because we have a Jeep. If the bugs itching right now take care of it, but don't make yourself suffer. I'm missing having a daily driver, and while I'm really enjoying this new configuration of my Jeep I can't wait to get a vroom vroom I can ride on the street or a car to drive in town.

I'm sorry all I have to say is think about it, but you could hop in your Jeep and drive off to discover a new place and discover something about yourself.

Mine now has 3374xx miles. I had a second for a while.

Also you're putting a jeep against a Honda... lol.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
JK505
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have 2 friends that still drive their XJ's. One just broke over 400,000 miles... The other is well on her way at 320,000. I'm not sure I would expect a Honda with 60-80k miles to make it there. I would get the XJ (I have a soft spot for them but only own a JK). If it isn't lifted and seems to have avoided having the snot beat out of it, I would give it a look. Also remember $8-9k is the asking price. I'm sure if you offered $7k in cash, you would own that XJ.
JK505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That's artificially high because of the low mileage. The fact with jeeps is that usage is much more important than mileage. I'd check the unibody for rust, the coolant for any odd color/smell, and the computer for codes before I looked at the odometer at all. Pull the diff plugs and the trans dipstick to inspect the fluid too. If those look clean it's a great sign that someone did their 100k tune-up correctly. Low mileage ones can have been exposed to long sit-times, which jeeps hate a lot more than miles, or were only used for isolated purposes like off-roading, heavy city driving or towing that are a lot harder on a jeep than highway miles, even if they managed to avoid visible dings on the doors and fenders.

The lookover and the test drive are the keys to a good XJ, not the odometer.
Unread 12-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Condition is more important than mileage. Don't let high mileage scare you if it has been well maintained. The newest XJ is almost 14 years old, that means that low mileage ones have been sitting for periods of time or short tripped. Vehicles that sit often have more issues than high mileage ones.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Isurus
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If you're just looking for a strictly pavement daily driver, I would look at a small car before going for an XJ.
If you want to do any exploring, wheeling, driving in snow, or need a 4x4 at all, an XJ is a great vehicle.
Based on my experience with mine, I think they should only be owned by those who are ready to invest in tools, ready to learn, and get their hands dirty. It may only be because I beat the snot out of it, but mine has always needed something. It has always been one thing after the other. When I bought it, I didn't know a thing about vehicles, and it has taught me much.
Isurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Check Edmunds.com for used car values for your area (or theirs since they're hundreds of miles away...)
(http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/ then the "appraise a used car" section.)

I just did a quick check, for my area, and a 2000 in "clean" condition was only worth $2-4000 (private party vs dealer).
Anything older and the price plummets...
Buy based on condition and hope they have service records...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #8
Scott_B
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I currently have 5 cars, my Jeep is a 95 XJ 5 speed manual with 175K mi. My Jeep has a small budget lift and it's used for driving to work in the rain, pulling my boat, and hunting in the woods with an occasional trip to the beach. I average 15 mpg city, 18-22 highway, depending... For a DD on pavement 100% of the time, I'd recommend you to buy a small - medium size car. The Jeep is slow, doesn't handle very well, doesn't get very good mileage, but is pretty darn bulletproof with a 4.0 inline 6 anyways. So if I said that, why would I also say I love driving my old Jeep? Because there is something about it! It's got torque - It does great donuts in the dirt - I can take the family and my boat to and from the ramp with it - I can get to my hunting spot without getting stuck - and most of all, as slow, gas guzzly as it is, it's is fun to drive. If I want cruise, I drive my 68 Olds Conv 455 Delmont. If I want to autocross and drive fast, I drive my 12 Boss Mustang. Long road trip, 2012 VW Jetta TDi sportwagon. Wanna drag race, my old Mopar truck with a 408 and a big turbo.
Scott_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Scott_B
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of list of possible cars are you working off of? Usually one groups common cars together, does research and narrows it down. Honda vs Jeep??? Dude, with all due respect, you are starting at two completely different ends of the spectrum! I don't want to offend any Honda guys, but a Ricer and a good old fashion American made Jeep, C'mon..... Ok, had to let that steam out. GLWP
Scott_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52 View Post
I've been looking for a reliable daily driver for awhile, I've had some bad luck in the past with vehicles and happen to have a buddy who has an XJ and loves it. Which got me looking into them as well, they seem to be pretty reliable for the most part-so I began looking for one. Seems like in the midwest they're either high mileage, lifted, or beat to piss farm Jeeps.

Fast forward a few weeks of looking, found a couple low mileage XJ's (60-80k) within 3-400 miles of me. BUT they're going for 8-9k, which is more than I had originally intended to spend...

My question is from all of your biased standpoint. (1.) Why should I buy this XJ opposed to say a newer Honda Civic or something similar-in terms of a reliable daily driver. (Obviously it has some benefits of 4x4 and not being a Honda). (2.) Do I need to be paranoid about not buying a higher mileage XJ? Obviously how the Jeep was taken care of is more important than overall mileage, but a jeep with half the miles you have a better chance of overall reliability, and I'll be able to preventatively maintain it as well as I own the Jeep. (3.) Am I crazy and should just buy a 160,000 mile Jeep and love life?

Thanks for the input in advance, hopefully none of these questions are completely stupid and I didn't waste your time.
from a reliability perspective a newer Honda civic is definitely going to be more reliable then an older xj (exceptions to every rule but in general this will be the case)

jeeps aren't reliable or efficient or great road manners / driving vehicles; definitely not their niche

now on the jeep plus side; they are cheap to work on, tons of intel available, and pretty cheap; not to mention significantly more offroad capable then a civic

but yah,
don't buy an xj thinking it will be a reliable road car
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #11
tman52

Thanks for the input guys, this forum hands down has to be the most informative and helpful of any I've been on-I've been on quite a few.

Since I have been looking for something newer and hopefully more reliable, I've strayed away from the idea of buying an XJ solely as a daily driver. I do still however, have the Jeep bug.
tman52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
JK505
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman52
Thanks for the input guys, this forum hands down has to be the most informative and helpful of any I've been on-I've been on quite a few. Since I have been looking for something newer and hopefully more reliable, I've strayed away from the idea of buying an XJ solely as a daily driver. I do still however, have the Jeep bug.
You could get a newer TJ? maybe even a JK? Or even the Trail Hawk! Those things are pretty neat
JK505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK505 View Post

You could get a newer TJ? maybe even a JK? Or even the Trail Hawk! Those things are pretty neat
Hell you can build an xj for the price of a stock TJ where I am.
Unread 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

97 4 banger TJs are still $5k+ around here stock. If they're modded people want and get every penny back they put in them or I'd own a TJ. Hell even YJs are still that expensive around here unless the frames are shot. Yet I see CJs in decent shape for $1500-2000 fairly often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
97 4 banger TJs are still $5k+ around here stock. If they're modded people want and get every penny back they put in them or I'd own a TJ. Hell even YJs are still that expensive around here unless the frames are shot. Yet I see CJs in decent shape for $1500-2000 fairly often.
Crazy. I don't watch closely but I don't remember the last time I saw a streetable TJ for less than 11k here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.