New Gauge cluster background - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New Gauge cluster background

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

New gauge cluster background design

I designed up a new gauge cluster background for my XJ. I saw a few others out there that have made their own white background ones, but they all look sort of plain. Being a person who works with info graphics in my daytime job, I took the charge and designed new ones.

These are printed on a special tear resistant micro-pourous plastic with a 12 color uv resistant printer (we have some cool toys at work). It wont fade or curl like paper and those print it out yourself at home deals.

Ive been thinking of selling sets of them pre-cut for $25. Do you guys think that is a fair price? When my next pay comes in, Im thinking of setting up a dealer account here for that, till then, Im just tweaking the design. The photo below doesnt do these justice, I think they look great at night. Plus, my dash is not quite re-assembled because I have some fog-light wiring to finish

Your feedback would be nice.

Edit:

As requested, nighttime pictures. These accurately show what my eyes are seeing in the jeep, camera was rested on the steering wheel to have an unobstructed view. Taken with a Nikon D40, 2.5 second exposure, 6.3 fstop, ISO 400, minus the daytime photo

First, ambient light (center dome light):

~30% adjustment on the light switch:

Full lighting (stock bulbs):

And daytime:

Guess there is no turning back now

Looks like I am now a vendor, and these are for sale.

My vendor thread

Unread 03-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm 97+, but that really looks nice! Get some night shots when you can!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
BlindmeXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I might be interested, night shots please!!
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think you ought to add a tick mark at 88mph, then in small print "...some serious ****"

Other than that, i think it looks pretty darn good
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, Im trying to think of how to set that all up with the newer digital gauge. I've got one (the wife's) to work with, but the printing would be an issue. Sort of. Just might take a bit (lot) more work to do.

Planning on sprucing up a set of dummy gauges I have here too, maybe that will get the things sold on CL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiKyle View Post
I think you ought to add a tick mark at 88mph, then in small print "...some serious ****"
Look closer and notice what happens when you hit 7K rpm
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Pictures added, had to wait for the camera battery to charge.
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good but IMO I wouldnt pay 25 dollars, just a little too steep for me
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think it looks pretty cool! if you made them for later Cherokees I might be interested, $25 seems a little steep but depending on how much it takes to make them and how hard it is to make them it might be good priced for making a little profit. Id probably be willing to buy it Though!
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good, I'd be interested!
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have always wanted a white cluster in my 98! But I'm one of those people who changes there minds a lot, so would this material, be able to be removed without damaging the original clusters markings?

Also I bet if you did these for TJ and JK owners, make some different ones military looking and all that you could have a gold mine here! Maybe a bad idea, but I think it would sell.
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbiked View Post
I have always wanted a white cluster in my 98! But I'm one of those people who changes there minds a lot, so would this material, be able to be removed without damaging the original clusters markings?

Also I bet if you did these for TJ and JK owners, make some different ones military looking and all that you could have a gold mine here! Maybe a bad idea, but I think it would sell.
Its a plastic film that is held in by the screws that hold the original face plates. So its fairly easy to reverse, and no one would be the wiser.

I can try to work on the price, the material is expensive and cutting them is time consuming. The others I aw out there were inexpensive ($15-20), but printed on card stock paper and you had to cut them out yourself.

I may be able to get them laser cut, and that could speed things up a bit, and let me drop the cost down.

Last edited by Azzy; 03-05-2012 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Turtlexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think that looks pretty cool. I'd definitely be interested in something like that for my '98.
Turtlexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you do some 97+ in some different colors...I would be down for a few.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks nice, whats it say in the little triangle in the RPM gauge one?
Unread 03-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Its a plastic film that is held in by the screws that hold the original face plates. So its fairly easy to reverse, and no one would be the wiser.

I can try to work on the price, the material is expensive and cutting them is time consuming. The others I aw out there were inexpensive ($15-20), but printed on card stock paper and you had to cut them out yourself.

I may be able to get them laser cut, and that could speed things up a bit, and let me drop the cost down.
I'd pay full price. Just because I like the material you use, and I can appreciate a time consuming, nicely made custom project. Attention to detail, and those who pay attention to detail are rare finds in today's made in china with **** quality control mass production market.

Tags
guages

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.