Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Gauge cluster background

Tags
guages
13K views 85 replies 31 participants last post by  Azzy 
#1 ·
New gauge cluster background design

I designed up a new gauge cluster background for my XJ. I saw a few others out there that have made their own white background ones, but they all look sort of plain. Being a person who works with info graphics in my daytime job, I took the charge and designed new ones.

These are printed on a special tear resistant micro-pourous plastic with a 12 color uv resistant printer (we have some cool toys at work). It wont fade or curl like paper and those print it out yourself at home deals.

Ive been thinking of selling sets of them pre-cut for $25. Do you guys think that is a fair price? When my next pay comes in, Im thinking of setting up a dealer account here for that, till then, Im just tweaking the design. The photo below doesnt do these justice, I think they look great at night. Plus, my dash is not quite re-assembled because I have some fog-light wiring to finish :laugh:

Your feedback would be nice. :cheers2:

Edit:

As requested, nighttime pictures. These accurately show what my eyes are seeing in the jeep, camera was rested on the steering wheel to have an unobstructed view. Taken with a Nikon D40, 2.5 second exposure, 6.3 fstop, ISO 400, minus the daytime photo

First, ambient light (center dome light):

~30% adjustment on the light switch:

Full lighting (stock bulbs):

And daytime:

Guess there is no turning back now :thumbsup:

Looks like I am now a vendor, and these are for sale.

My vendor thread

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah, Im trying to think of how to set that all up with the newer digital gauge. I've got one (the wife's) to work with, but the printing would be an issue. Sort of. Just might take a bit (lot) more work to do.

Planning on sprucing up a set of dummy gauges I have here too, maybe that will get the things sold on CL. :laugh:

I think you ought to add a tick mark at 88mph, then in small print "...some serious ****"
Look closer and notice what happens when you hit 7K rpm ;)

#8 ·
I think it looks pretty cool! if you made them for later Cherokees I might be interested, $25 seems a little steep but depending on how much it takes to make them and how hard it is to make them it might be good priced for making a little profit. Id probably be willing to buy it Though!

#10 ·
I have always wanted a white cluster in my 98! But I'm one of those people who changes there minds a lot, so would this material, be able to be removed without damaging the original clusters markings?

Also I bet if you did these for TJ and JK owners, make some different ones military looking and all that you could have a gold mine here! Maybe a bad idea, but I think it would sell.

#11 · (Edited)
Its a plastic film that is held in by the screws that hold the original face plates. So its fairly easy to reverse, and no one would be the wiser.

I can try to work on the price, the material is expensive and cutting them is time consuming. The others I aw out there were inexpensive ($15-20), but printed on card stock paper and you had to cut them out yourself.

I may be able to get them laser cut, and that could speed things up a bit, and let me drop the cost down.

#16 ·
DullesJeep said:
I'd pay full price. Just because I like the material you use, and I can appreciate a time consuming, nicely made custom project. Attention to detail, and those who pay attention to detail are rare finds in today's made in china with **** quality control mass production market.
Quoted for truth.

#21 ·
Install time? How fast can you pull your gauges out? Once they are out, takes about 10 min to get in there. I reccomend a bit of maintenece thouhg, painting the back f the plastic surround white to better reflect light, and painting / cleaning the front, but it isnt a must do thing.

The material is tear resistant makes it a bit less likely to bugger up and rip, so you can go a bit quicker.

I havent had time to try and source out printed and cut inserts. so it would be my wife and I doing them by hand, and she's only got one good one at the moment :laugh: Lets see what we can do for the weekend, and I can open a JF account and start selling on here.

Hmmm... Ive got to figure that one out. Maybe i can see if we can get in a gauge cluster to experiment with.

#26 ·
Gotta come out with a metric version, been looking all over ebay and the interweb for a km version cluster stickers

#27 ·
as in make the KM the predominate labeling instead of the MPH? That shouldnt be too hard to do.

I was set to startup an account this weekend with JF to sell these, but got a setback working on the XJ this weekend, I threw my back out getting out from under it. So it may be a few days till i can start working on printing and cutting them out.

I am planning on including a removable adheasive dot that can go under the larger gauges, as I noticed that mine look fine, but I am worried about them bending over. Shouldnt be an issue, and im making sure that the adheasive doent leave any residue (have a spare cluster sitting with them on it).

Give me a week guys, and I'll be in for makeing and selling these.

#31 ·
Guess there is no turning back now :thumbsup:

Looks like I am now a vendor, and these are for sale.
Looks good IMO :thumbsup:

Gotta come out with a metric version, been looking all over ebay and the interweb for a km version cluster stickers
Agreed, although I don't know how many Canadian/ foreign customers are willing to buy this product. Unfortunately, with shipping & possible customs fees/ taxes it gets a little on the expensive side.

I myself could use one, full metric with oil pressure in Bar instead of PSI, and temp in celcius instead of fahrenheit. Then again, I could use one for my ZJ which is the DD :D

#33 ·
I would be in for it if you could make the kmh stand out more than the mph, or even converted totally for metric, i could post a pic of my speedo and see what you think. Haven't been able to find a metric guage face yet. Good job

#34 ·
Then me when and how to pay you and I will go for a 97+ cluster.

#35 ·
You guys want metric? Inverting the current pattern can be done. As for the PSI to bar, I should be able to do that too.

Cant leave my Canadian friends out of the loop can I?

#36 ·
You guys want metric? Inverting the current pattern can be done. As for the PSI to bar, I should be able to do that too.

Cant leave my Canadian friends out of the loop can I?
If you go with metric I will wait until they are ready before I order mine.

:2thumbsup:

#46 ·
A pic would be super, thank you!
Sorry, I haven't remembered to take the picture.

I'm going to the garage tomorrow to do some work on my ZJ, so I try again. Could you PM me your e-mail address, I can send you a full size photo from my SLR if you like. Or I can upload it to my website and PM you the link to the picture.. either way you want :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.