New to the forum, and new to me XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New to the forum, and new to me XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

New to the forum, and new to me XJ

I've had a couple Cherokee's in the past, older 80's version, didn't care for them too much, but just got a 97 real cheap, and I love this one, green with black rims....well, that's all the good I can say for it now, I picked it up for only $1,000 because the previous owner couldn't afford to maintain it, and it got to the point it needed more than he was ever going to be able to afford, and it became somewhat un-drivable. Today it got a full tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, pvc, wires. When I test drove it, I was warned it will over heat, which is why he didn't drive it, and said it never overheated....lets hope. So, I also flushed the radiator, tons of crud and crap, one of the worst I've seen, replaced the thermostat and gasket, hoses appear ok, will probably change them just because, thought I got that licked, still ran just a tad warm, found out the secondary electric fan was shot, then the radiator sprung multiple leaks. Picked up a new one along with a replacement fan. Also have to give it an oil change, replace the serp belt, I'm going to change the valve cover gasket even though there only seems to be a hint of leakage. I just got home from picking up approx. $700 worth of tires for only $200, score big time, they are brand new this year, can't have a couple hundred miles on them, owner bought them then his truck catastrophically died, so he just wanted them gone, some nice white letter 31/10.50/15 AT's
Installed new wipers, have a new wiper pump to put on, needless to say, I have bags of stuff to put on this Jeep along with more to buy, PO raised the suspension 4" but didn't address the all the components, needs a new track bar and stabilizer (death wobble) one link pin, ordered 2 already, will buy a drop pitman and see if I can align it without replacing the steering linkage, the rest of the suspension feels ok. Had 2 codes, 12, 25, replaced the battery, it was shot, and have an iac on the way, didn't re-throw any codes since I replaced the battery and tuned it up, but will replace the iac anyway.
Feel like I need a tetanus shot after cleaning it today, you shouldn't need a shop vac running for an hour just to put a dent in the crap left behind, but cleaned up ok, need new mats, but the rest of the interior cleaned right up, grey interior. Enough ramblings, here's pics of when I picked it up 2 days ago, will post more when I make more headway...oh yeah, got to order the rocker panel replacements...damn, about outta money for this thing already
Oh well, I've got plenty to keep me busy.

when I brought it home

green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good man! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

^^^^ Thanks, just read your build, will be using some of your ideas, led's, overhead console....
Unread 12-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green97xjsport View Post
^^^^ Thanks, just read your build, will be using some of your ideas, led's, overhead console....
Sweet. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I don't always check the build thread.

Build Thread:
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just got my tires installed, 31/10.50/15, not extreme like some, but with the 4" lift, has a nice enough stance for me, gotta clean this thing up, but have to finish other work first.

oh, almost forgot, the guy at the local garage who mounted my tires for me, is also into jeeps, has a XJ and a CJ, and gave me a good set of rear hatch support shocks and a great condition inner panel for the hatch, mine was butchered by the PO who didn't know how to open it when the threaded rod needs adjustment...very cool of the guy at the garage!!
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green97xjsport View Post

oh, almost forgot, the guy at the local garage who mounted my tires for me, is also into jeeps, has a XJ and a CJ, and gave me a good set of rear hatch support shocks and a great condition inner panel for the hatch, mine was butchered by the PO who didn't know how to open it when the threaded rod needs adjustment...very cool of the guy at the garage!!
Sweet. XJ guys look out for each other.

Build Thread:
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I try and pay it forward any chance I get, I've had more than an occasional occurrence of something like this happening, good karma I guess, get back from those whom you treat with equal respect and generosity.

Being a veteran and disabled on a fixed income, I know what it is like to live on a daily basis sometimes, my wife (also disabled) and I try always to help others, either with time, food, clothes, I've always got a surplus of auto parts, atv, motorcycle parts etc, and not always looking to make a buck even though it could come in handy, plenty of people trying to get by and would prefer to at least be living a little, not just surviving.
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
WBZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like you got a good deal, here is a link to a thread about what I did about my rocker panels. And welcome to the forum

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...laced-1444614/
WBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, and I will have to resort to the rivet the panels in place repair, I will however be making some small sections of the rusted backing plate myself.
Not trying to make this one any kind of show Jeep, just presentable. Yours looks good by the way, they did a nice job on your rocker repair. I have a little rust on the rear gate to address, some at the lower rear fenders, and a small dent on the right front fender. But for the most part, not that much real rust, when it was on the rack getting the tires done, I looked at the underneath real well, no rust on the floors or frame hardly to speak of.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.