New Cherokee owner needs some help from the old guys. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > New Cherokee owner needs some help from the old guys.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
sjdm
1989 XJ Cherokee 

New Cherokee owner needs some help from the old guys.

Just came home with a beautiful 89' Jeep Cherokee this past Friday. 155k miles, 4.0 I6, 4x4, strong engine and trans, great interior, exterior and Jeep factory mag wheels. I put some Goodyear 235/75r15 all terrain tires on it to replace the little passenger tires it came with and it is looking more masculine all ready. MY next purchases will be some rancho shocks and larger battery with some more cold cranking amps. I am considering whether or not this vehicle is worth the money and effort of installing a differential lock.

But my biggest problem with the vehicle is that complete and total lack of cup holders! Where am I going to put my travel mug? I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have at least one cup holder. Any suggestions?

What about a full size spare? Will a 235/75r15 wheel and tire fit in place of the donut? If not what are my other options that don't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks!

Joseph

sjdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
QCXJ8879
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hit the junk yard you can pull a center console out of a late model and slap it in with a little work.
QCXJ8879 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A differential lock (we call lockers) will depend on what you want to use the jeep for. What kind of off-roading are you gonna be doing?
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, a 235/75R15 will fit just fine where the donut tire is. A full size spare was an option a lot of Jeeps had.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

If you don't care too much about looks this is the best thing I've done to the interior in any of my XJs and it works better than any factory cup holder I've ever used. 3" flared PVC. The bottom is the perfect size for cans, water bottles, ect and because of the flare it holds those big *** fast food cups perfectly as well.

Even if you don't want to cut out for it I'm sure you could easily screw some sheet metal to the console and have the pipe stick out the side.
Unread 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
sjdm
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Great. I need to recover from the tires and parts I bought and then I will try to find a factory ten spoke wheel and get another Goodyear wrangler and mount it inside.

If it were just me I would fabricate something and not care but I have to keep it looking somewhat nice for the wife. Maybe I will just double sided sticky tape a decent cup holder to the passenger side of the console.

I am not going to do any real off-road rock crawling or mud bogging in this XJ. I might do some poking around on established trails but that is about it. I was thinking about having the "locker" for emergency situations. pulling someone out of a ditch or more importantly getting myself out of one.

Joseph
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You could always use one of these cup holders:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/om...FYQ7OgodplUATw

They mount right above the E-brake and onto the center console.

(not my pic)

I had one in my 1990 XJ and it seemed to work okay but I only had that Jeep for a few months before it got hit and totaled.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

I'd swap the console out before I used one of those ****ty ebrake cupholders again. They don't hold any drinks worth a crap and they make using the parking brake annoyingly difficult (only had that cupholder in my 5 speed).
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
I'd swap the console out before I used one of those ****ty ebrake cupholders again. They don't hold any drinks worth a crap and they make using the parking brake annoyingly difficult (only had that cupholder in my 5 speed).
True story.

And sjdm, if you want free and easy stuff to do in the meantime while familiarizing yourself with your new Jeep, click on the link in my signature below........

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Cheap mods I'd start with are replacing the dash lights with LEDs and H4 bulb and harness upgrades for the headlights. LEDs can be done for $20-30 and the headlights for under $100 and both are a massive improvement over the stock lighting at night and probably the first mods I'll do to any XJs I buy in the future. They're also very easy to do and require little more than a screwdriver.
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
sjdm
1989 XJ Cherokee 

That's what I was looking for. If it doesn't work out its no biggie as I only paid $8 shipped from amazon. Thanks bud!

All the lights in the interior work great except the light behind the heat/ A/C controls doesn't work most of the time. I wonder if I have a short somewhere. I hate digging in a dash!

The headlights are surprisingly bright for what they are. I don't think its something I want to do right now. I do want to get some diving lights. I found a pair from Warn that have a remote switch that would be easy for me to wirehttp://www.amazon.com/Warn-82410-W35...ote+fog+lights. I usually carry a couple of spare bulbs for my other vehicle but storing bulbs for the Jeep will take up a lot of space so I thought some driving lights mounted to the bumper would be a good idea for just in case.

Bought some vinyl seat covers and am happy I wont be destroying the nearly perfect interior. I need to buy some good quality floor mats. Thinking about the Rugged Ridge All-Terrain Floor Liners as an option. Thanks guys.

Joseph
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdm View Post
That's what I was looking for. If it doesn't work out its no biggie as I only paid $8 shipped from amazon. Thanks bud!

All the lights in the interior work great except the light behind the heat/ A/C controls doesn't work most of the time. I wonder if I have a short somewhere. I hate digging in a dash!

The headlights are surprisingly bright for what they are. I don't think its something I want to do right now. I do want to get some diving lights. I found a pair from Warn that have a remote switch that would be easy for me to wirehttp://www.amazon.com/Warn-82410-W35...ote+fog+lights. I usually carry a couple of spare bulbs for my other vehicle but storing bulbs for the Jeep will take up a lot of space so I thought some driving lights mounted to the bumper would be a good idea for just in case.

Bought some vinyl seat covers and am happy I wont be destroying the nearly perfect interior. I need to buy some good quality floor mats. Thinking about the Rugged Ridge All-Terrain Floor Liners as an option. Thanks guys.

Joseph
The console swap is easy if it doesn't work out. You get cup holders and a better console that's less prone to breaking.

The dash on older XJs is extremely simple to pull apart and put back together. Basically the whole bezel face pops off and everything is really straightforward from there. The HVAC controls can be pulled on their own and theres a #74 bulb inside it. Even if they all work the LEDs are worth getting. They're cheap and simple to install and the lighting difference is night and day.

If the headlights are bright you may have an H4 upgrade from a previous owner. Look for a suplamental harness or pop one of the headlights out to see if it's a sealed beam or not.

Can't say on the RR mats, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Huskey and Quadratec fitted mats.
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
sjdm
1989 XJ Cherokee 

No its just some Sylvania replacement sealed beams. It would be nice to have the H4 headlights so I could carry spare bulbs. There are so many things I need to fix I just cant justify the cost of upgrading something that works as is.

Most expensive will be shocks all-around. I thought about the Gabriel Max Control because like everything else Ranchos have gone up a bit in price since the last time I purchased them. Any thoughts?

I have a passenger front bumper bracket coming so I can straighten the bumper. Hopefully I wont need to purchase a new bumper. I also need to borrow a heat gun so I can remove the plastic trim from around the bottom of the vehicle and then maybe spray some truck bedliner in its place. I think that would look good.

I did the B12 chemtool upper engine cleaning and some fuel treatment last Friday and it must of worked because the engine idles quite a bit smoother. I changed the t-stat and pressure tank cap as a precaution and preheater hose as it was full of tears and holes. They are probably fine but because I am anal about such things I am going to put new plugs, wires, cap and button when I get most everything else done. I am thinking that replacing a lot of the vacuum lines would be a good idea too. I haven't had to deal with so many vacuum lines since my 81' Grandma Prix.

The Rugged Ridge look exactly the same as the Quadratec. I snagged a set last night for $40 shipped. They will be here Wednesday.

Sorry for the long post but my wife is tired of hearing about all the stuff I want to do to the XJ.

Joseph
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
sjdm
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have another question. It wont be something I will be doing even in the immediate future but what is the cheapest but still good way to mount a winch?
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdm View Post
The Rugged Ridge look exactly the same as the Quadratec. I snagged a set last night for $40 shipped. They will be here Wednesday.
Where did you order them from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.