Need some schoolin' on jacks/rudiments - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need some schoolin' on jacks/rudiments

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
Rustlin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Need some schoolin' on jacks/rudiments

Hey yall, I need some advice on jacks. I cant seem to find if a hi lift is more for off road use. Im looking primarily for a jack that will give me enough lift for basic maintenance for now. Maybe jack stands. Im a noob when it comes to wrenching but Ive got tools. Also, if you guys could point me in the right direction for a basic tune up job and advice for what to do with a freshly acquired, 20 yr old jeep I would be very grateful. I just need some help getting started. Ill look into mpg mods once I get some experience. Thanks.

Rustlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would not use a highlift jack for everyday repairs they can be a bit unstable,I would look for a nice 2-3 ton floor Jack. Sears sells a craftsman set with jackstands which I done think is to costly not top of the line but will work fine for most home repairs. Save some money and get a compressor an d some air tools as well if you have space for them it will really help in the long run,air rachets and impact guns make tight bolts a bit easier or the wrists.
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ive always done my repairs with a small jack and stands from autozone. it works fine but is not the best. my dad has an aluminum full size 3 ton jack and i LOVE that thing. once i get my own garage again i will be getting one of those. pretty much any jack stands will work just fine. just look how tall they get and make sure is tall enough for where you want to put them at.

as far as the tuneup i would start with air filter, plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor button, oil and filter change. If you want to get more into it put in a new fuel filter and change fluids in both diffs, transmission and transfer case.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlin View Post
Hey yall, I need some advice on jacks. I cant seem to find if a hi lift is more for off road use. Im looking primarily for a jack that will give me enough lift for basic maintenance for now. Maybe jack stands. Im a noob when it comes to wrenching but Ive got tools. Also, if you guys could point me in the right direction for a basic tune up job and advice for what to do with a freshly acquired, 20 yr old jeep I would be very grateful. I just need some help getting started. Ill look into mpg mods once I get some experience. Thanks.
Spark plugs, oil/filter, belt, air filter, diffs, tcase for starters.

Like mentioned - get a 2-3 ton floor jack and some jackstands. Hi lift isn't for maintenance - it's for recovery/trail situations.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
scottmphoto
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Hi-Lift and only use it when absolutely needed (actually have never used the Hi-Lift with my XJ yet). I have a small 12-ton bottle jack that I like. I have a couple of floor jacks that I use in the shop or where I have a good hard, level surface. The bottle jack is easier to work with when on softer, uneven ground (I use a piece of treated 2"x12" board under the jack). When you buy a jack, just make sure that it has a minimum lift height that will work with your vehicle. And, you don't need a great big one or super heavy duty.
As far as tune up, like said before: plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fluids and filters. On the cap and rotor, make sure that you get the ones that have brass contacts. They'll last longer than the ones with the aluminum contacts. Depending on the year, the cheap Champion Copper plugs for the older XJ's or the NGK's for newer ones. The fancy, expensive plugs just don't really work that well. XJ's like it simple.
scottmphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Rustlin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the replies. I'm probably going to check out the bottle jack, as I have no garage. But, i could always use my moms garage. Do the bottle jacks work good on concrete as well? I'll definitely look into some air tools as well. My brother/roommate just got a decent tool kit so I would like to add to it. I'll have to work my way up to fluid flushes. ThIs ol xj has some issues, but I'm hoping it can be remedied without too much trouble. I'm surprised by how much gas I'm going through, and my last dd was a 6,000 lb, 88 f150 4x4 4.9l i6! But, Ill do the tune up today and go from there. Any vids out there that'll help out?
Rustlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.