Need some direction/help before build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need some direction/help before build up

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
skierdude52689
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need some direction/help before build up

So I'm finally back in a cherokee again. I had a 95 2 door lifted 3 inches with 30 inch mud terrains.

A little history:

I bought a 97 4 door 5 speed with 83k on it for 3400 in April with no rust on it, pretty mint but was babied in the city. I have been slowly replacing parts on it in the front end to get ready for winter up here in VT.

I recently did a magnaflow high flow cat, flowmaster super 44, new axle u-joints, cragar soft 8's 4 inch backspacing with 235 75 15's mounted to them. with the offset rims I now have fender flare rub in the rear when I have passengers due to shot/flat leaf springs.

My plan is to lift it in the spring 3 inches when I have the cash for the lift and bigger tires and driveline. I don't have much room in there with current springs for winter (snow build up in fenders will be soooo ****ty). My plan for this winter is to do a Teraflex budget boost with shackles and spacers. Shackles to flat leaf springs wont do much. So my question to you jeepforumer is should I buy new stock springs now and do the shackle lift, and then do an AAL lift in the spring to have a total height of 4.5-5". Or should I get some junkyard springs for winter and in the spring get new 3" inch full leafs in my lift kit? I'm leaning more towards the new springs now and aal in the spring.

kind of long, but lemme know!

skierdude52689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Get junkyard springs now.
See if they are in any better shape, if so, good.

In spring, use your junkyard springs and the original springs to build a "bastard pack" lift
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
jeepster383

I would install a shackle relocation bracket first then build ur springs to the desired height.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If youre gonna do AAL's eventually, buy new stock height springs. Not extremely expensive and saves you the hassle of trying to tear some from a junkyard donor.
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
skierdude52689
1997 XJ Cherokee 

new springs now would mean aal in the spring. or I do junkyard ones now, and do all new lift leafs in spring with lift kit.
skierdude52689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Its really up to you. Whatever fits your budget and time frame. Me personally, I wouldn't want to do the job twice so id either get it done now or wait until the spring.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.