Need some direction on getting an impact wrench - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-19-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Need some direction on getting an impact wrench

What's a good impact gun for a decent price that will hold up well for a weekend warrior like myself? Probably be used less than 10 times a year. Harbor Freight had some for about $43 from Central Pneumatics that did something like 550 ft lbs. Although I'm not familiar with CP that one sounds ok but I'd rather have a little more ft lbs. And I'm guessing air driven (vs. battery) would end up giving more torque for the cost.

Also, with the higher torque capacity I'm wanting I'd guess the 1/2" drive is what I should be aiming for?

--
~~_/) ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-19-2017, 09:35 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
What's a good impact gun for a decent price that will hold up well for a weekend warrior like myself? Probably be used less than 10 times a year. Harbor Freight had some for about $43 from Central Pneumatics that did something like 550 ft lbs. Although I'm not familiar with CP that one sounds ok but I'd rather have a little more ft lbs. And I'm guessing air driven (vs. battery) would end up giving more torque for the cost.

Also, with the higher torque capacity I'm wanting I'd guess the 1/2" drive is what I should be aiming for?
I've got the husky 1/2" drive "800 ft lb" 90psi air unit they carry at lowes. While a little more expensive than CP it's reasonably priced, handles everything I've thrown at it including axle nuts and other high torque stuff and its a comfortable size and weight to use. I think it's a very good price/functionality compromise.

My old man likes his milwaukee battery unit, but it definitely doesn't have the grunt of the air ones. He just wanted something he could carry to the back 9 for use on the tractor.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 PM
2oldjeeps

mine,old, has a 3 inch shaft. its nice for reversable/double ended sockets the snubby ones cant do.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM
fennix12

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Air tools always seem to be the best bang for the buck, i got the HF corded one and it is ok but very heavy and i really only use it to quickly run bolts on and off. For on the trail i keep my Makita cordless impact on me, its my new favorite tool.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Ralph77
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post

I just bought a big boy compressor about 4 months ago. Asked the same question. I went with a Ingersoll Rand 231C. Was able to pick it up for $113. I won't even use it 10 times a year. I asked a bunch of people. Read through a bunch of reviews. The thing about the IR was that everybody liked it. Did say it was a little big and bulky so if you were going to use it constantly it could be fatiguing. But the last thing many people said in their review was "Oh and by the way I have had this in my box for the last 20 years".
post #6 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 08:00 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

I've got an IR 231 also, and have had it for about 20 years. Check pawn shops, craigslist, and if there are any air tool rebuilders local to you, if they have any trade-ins.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Ralph77
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapehead View Post
I've got an IR 231 also, and have had it for about 20 years. Check pawn shops, craigslist, and if there are any air tool rebuilders local to you, if they have any trade-ins.
See what I mean.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 01:50 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
See what I mean.
The 231 is actually what I went looking for but they kept getting snapped up. Finally hit a project where I needed an impact and bought the husky. Still, I'm definitely not mad at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Ralph77
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
The 231 is actually what I went looking for but they kept getting snapped up. Finally hit a project where I needed an impact and bought the husky. Still, I'm definitely not mad at it.
For what I do I bet the Husky would have been just fine. I figured everybody seemed to like the 231C and $113 tax included seemed like a decent price. Want to know how many times I have used it since I bought? Twice. For literally 2 minutes each time. Pretty sure I could have used a 1/2" breaker bar instead. I did not need air tools. I wanted air tools. But there will be that one time I really do need it and will be glad I have it.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 03:56 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
For what I do I bet the Husky would have been just fine. I figured everybody seemed to like the 231C and $113 tax included seemed like a decent price. Want to know how many times I have used it since I bought? Twice. For literally 2 minutes each time. Pretty sure I could have used a 1/2" breaker bar instead. I did not need air tools. I wanted air tools. But there will be that one time I really do need it and will be glad I have it.

I use mine at least once a month, and often on stuff that would just spin with a breaker bar, the impact can do certain things a 10' lever never could. So....I like it lol.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah that's impressive the IR can last that long. In the end since I'm trying to press out some control arm bushings I decided to go for the higher ft lb Husky.

--
~~_/) ~~
post #12 of 13 Old 09-21-2017, 07:04 AM
grapehead
1977 CJ7 

Keep the water out of them and keep them oiled, they'll last a looooooooooong time
post #13 of 13 Old 10-14-2017, 06:04 PM
Devil15

I use an IR 2135 titanium. New they are a little pricey but I'm a dealer mechanic so I need something good. Composite construction so it's not really heavy. If it can't take a bolt off I'm gonna need a blue wrench anyway. But if you can find one used is worth getting. I've been abusing mine daily for about 8 years would get another if mine have up the ghost.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.