need some dimensions of roof for ragtop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > need some dimensions of roof for ragtop

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 01-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

need some dimensions of roof for ragtop

Alright, I'm finally going to actually order a ragtop for my XJ. The one that the writeup was done on in JP magazine I believe is 3'x6'. It looks great, but I think I would at least like mine to be wider. Can someone give me the distance between the stock roof rails? Streetbeat Customs has one that is 40" x 70". I think that might be just about perfect, but I'm stuck in Afghanistan and can't measure to make sure.

Thanks for the help guys.

Condensed $300 Beater Build Thread - Updates Only - No Chit Chat

Original $300 Beater Build Thread - Please use this for comments
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

45.5" on my 96, but more like 44 between the lengthwise roof strengthening impressions they sit on. With the relatively flat part of the roof being about 78" long, it seems like 40x70 would leave just enough around the edges for securement and give you pretty much full ragtop.
Good to see ya still dreaming on the xj!

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Good to see ya still dreaming on the xj!
Oh, you have no idea

Thnaks for the measurments. I think I'll be ordering it in the next week or two. I was also thinking about picking up the rockhard cage. I know it gets bashed a lot, but if I tie it into the frame and add some pieces to it I think it will be fine.

So, add ragtop and cage to the stack of parts I have sitting at home waiting for me. T&T LA kit, frame stiffeners, and rock rails. Jeeptubes doors, front fender skins, and tube flares, Emgo winch, and AJ's rear bumper with swing out tire carrier.

Now I'm just deciding on what to do with my axles. I found a decent deal on a D44/9 combo, but I'm not ready to upgrade wheels/tires too and they are 5 on 5.5, so I'm not sure what to do there.

Unread 01-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I've never roll tested a Rockhard cage but I'm sure any caging is better than none and I don't know why a guy couldn't firm up any weak points.
My custom passed the test with flying colors.
Quite a gold mine waiting for you there when you get home, better keep that location secret. Gives me tingly Christmasy feelings just thinking about it hahah.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

hahaha....yeah most of it was chrismas presents to myself

axles, a SYE, and 37" tires...... think I'll be done for awhile. Bigger tires probably won't happen for awhile though.

Unread 01-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
TimHaw
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There's a really good write-up on here somewhere for a soft top. I'll have to see if I can find it. A way cool idea though
TimHaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHaw View Post
There's a really good write-up on here somewhere for a soft top. I'll have to see if I can find it. A way cool idea though
Are you talking about Hussler's soft top? I like his and it looks really nice, but I don't feel like fabbing anything or having one that snaps on. I'm just going to pick the kit up from streetbeat customs or slidingragtops.com Same kit...just depends on who will sell it to me the cheapest.

Unread 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Ratrod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had a ragtop installed on my new Rabbit back in 1982 and a couple of years later I had cracks in the roof where the sunroof was installed.
Unread 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratrod View Post
I had a ragtop installed on my new Rabbit back in 1982 and a couple of years later I had cracks in the roof where the sunroof was installed.
no worries. If my roof has some cracks in it in a few years I'll just chop the whole damn thing off.... problem solved

Unread 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
TimHaw
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Are you talking about Hussler's soft top? I like his and it looks really nice, but I don't feel like fabbing anything or having one that snaps on. I'm just going to pick the kit up from streetbeat customs or slidingragtops.com Same kit...just depends on who will sell it to me the cheapest.

yeah thats the one. The slide tops look pretty slick though. Beats having to fab one yourself
TimHaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

WOW! Just dug this back up. When did I say I was ordering my ragtop? Well.... I am looking them up for REAL right now and have the money for it and everything. Looks like cage and ragtop are next on the wish list. Sticking with used 35's instead of new 37's to fund the cage and ragtop. 37's will come down the line when I comp cut and stretch.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.