Need a quick answer-Tcase chain slack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need a quick answer-Tcase chain slack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 05-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Need a quick answer-Tcase chain slack: ANSWERED

Posted in WDYDTYCT thread as well, sorry for the dupe post but I want to put this back together ASAP

Is this amount of slack normal?

FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

It looks to be about right actually. I did a quick Google image search and yours looks like it has less slack than any other picture posted.

http://www.google.com/search?q=n+231j+chain+slack&client=firefox-a&hs=faw&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&e i=SDRdVY7bO47egwS9koHwCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&biw=1536& bih=890
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
It looks to be about right actually. I did a quick Google image search and yours looks like it has less slack than any other picture posted.

http://www.google.com/search?q=n+231j+chain+slack&client=firefox-a&hs=faw&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&e i=SDRdVY7bO47egwS9koHwCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&biw=1536& bih=890
Dang, good thinking. I didn't think to image search :/
Unread 05-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I read through several posts an yours may have a bit more slack than it should. Do you notice any marks in the case where the chain has slapped it. A brand new chain will have about 3/4" of clearance from the bottom of the drooping chain and the inside of the case.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I did check for clearancing on the inside of case and did not see any marks. The gear teeth all look uniform and unworn.
There was no play in the shaft or tailshaft bearing.

I will say that my growl does seem like it's coming from the T case.
I did a search for "Growl on Deceleration" and found a bunch of posts on a variety of forums.
Almost all were solved with an SYE

Funny thing. In my search I found this old thread I made about my last Jeep.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/g...1299991-print/
Ujoint fixed that one for a while. SYE eventually cured it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.