Need Quick Advice before I buy 1996 Jeep Cherokee Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need Quick Advice before I buy 1996 Jeep Cherokee Please

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
96JeepCherokeee

Need Quick Advice before I buy 1996 Jeep Cherokee Please

hey all, a big thanks ahead of time. Kind of a new member to the forums, used to be Dir of Marketing for one of the current sponsor's but moved recently and got into a new line of work so i am starting a new screen name.

Just looking for a beater type vehicle for about a year or so, might put some cash into it, might not, just looking for advice on bottom line purchase

buddy of mine is second owner of a 1996 2 door jeep Cherokee with the inline 6, manual trans real wheel drive. He has had it for 2 years and takes good care of his vehicles. Paint is fading but thats about it. Occasional cold weather trans issues where he said it just needs to be warmed up. i drove it home tonight as he is letting me test it for a few days and it's 20 degrees out, after a brief warm up drives fine.

only has 71k miles on it, i know these engines are supposed to be godly, but i'm not 100% as all the forum experience i have here is with 2004+ Jeep performance, not 1996 so i'm a bit clueless here.

I got a decent commute to work, about 30-46 mins of mostly highway so mpg is somewhat of an issue, but i do get paid good money so it's not a huge deal, just saving money is always a good thing.

so what do you think? He is asking 2500 but i know i could get away with 2300. Is that a good deal? Thoughts?

Thanks

96JeepCherokeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

$2500 is more than fair if it's clean and has under 100k on it. He could get twice that easily around here. Under 100k miles is a huge price increase on these in a lot of areas.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
96JeepCherokeee

if by "clean" you mean title/mechanical it's clean, the front hood is missing most of the paint and a few scratches/dings here and there on exterior. Interior is not in horrible condition but it's nowhere near great. But from the sounds of it, with only having 72,000 miles the 2300-2500 is still a good price, even though it's still only 2WD and 2door?

And thanks for the prompt response, gave you a thumbs up
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96JeepCherokeee View Post
if by "clean" you mean title/mechanical it's clean, the front hood is missing most of the paint and a few scratches/dings here and there on exterior. Interior is not in horrible condition but it's nowhere near great. But from the sounds of it, with only having 72,000 miles the 2300-2500 is still a good price, even though it's still only 2WD and 2door?

And thanks for the prompt response, gave you a thumbs up
2 Door makes it more valuable! I love the look of 2 door Jeeps. 2Wd isn't bad if you don't off-road. You could always convert it into 4wd.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
96JeepCherokeee

from the few threads i have read about conversion, it seems that you will usually spend much more on the conversion labor/parts then it would be to buy a 4x4, unless i read them all wrong. Specifically since i have little to no automotive mechanic skills, went to school to work with my brain and not my hands, lol. heck, i have never even changed my own oil, maybe a few times that im not recalling.
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96JeepCherokeee View Post
from the few threads i have read about conversion, it seems that you will usually spend much more on the conversion labor/parts then it would be to buy a 4x4, unless i read them all wrong. Specifically since i have little to no automotive mechanic skills, went to school to work with my brain and not my hands, lol. heck, i have never even changed my own oil, maybe a few times that im not recalling.
Pull an old axle and transmission off a 4wd Jeep. I'm pretty sure That's all it is. IMO the 4wd conversion would be worth it for a two door but That's just my prefrance. I love the look of a 2 door Cherokee.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.