Need Quick Advice before I buy 1996 Jeep Cherokee Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need Quick Advice before I buy 1996 Jeep Cherokee Please

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
96JeepCherokeee

Need Quick Advice before I buy 1996 Jeep Cherokee Please

hey all, a big thanks ahead of time. Kind of a new member to the forums, used to be Dir of Marketing for one of the current sponsor's but moved recently and got into a new line of work so i am starting a new screen name.

Just looking for a beater type vehicle for about a year or so, might put some cash into it, might not, just looking for advice on bottom line purchase

buddy of mine is second owner of a 1996 2 door jeep Cherokee with the inline 6, manual trans real wheel drive. He has had it for 2 years and takes good care of his vehicles. Paint is fading but thats about it. Occasional cold weather trans issues where he said it just needs to be warmed up. i drove it home tonight as he is letting me test it for a few days and it's 20 degrees out, after a brief warm up drives fine.

only has 71k miles on it, i know these engines are supposed to be godly, but i'm not 100% as all the forum experience i have here is with 2004+ Jeep performance, not 1996 so i'm a bit clueless here.

I got a decent commute to work, about 30-46 mins of mostly highway so mpg is somewhat of an issue, but i do get paid good money so it's not a huge deal, just saving money is always a good thing.

so what do you think? He is asking 2500 but i know i could get away with 2300. Is that a good deal? Thoughts?

Thanks

96JeepCherokeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

$2500 is more than fair if it's clean and has under 100k on it. He could get twice that easily around here. Under 100k miles is a huge price increase on these in a lot of areas.
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
96JeepCherokeee

if by "clean" you mean title/mechanical it's clean, the front hood is missing most of the paint and a few scratches/dings here and there on exterior. Interior is not in horrible condition but it's nowhere near great. But from the sounds of it, with only having 72,000 miles the 2300-2500 is still a good price, even though it's still only 2WD and 2door?

And thanks for the prompt response, gave you a thumbs up
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96JeepCherokeee View Post
if by "clean" you mean title/mechanical it's clean, the front hood is missing most of the paint and a few scratches/dings here and there on exterior. Interior is not in horrible condition but it's nowhere near great. But from the sounds of it, with only having 72,000 miles the 2300-2500 is still a good price, even though it's still only 2WD and 2door?

And thanks for the prompt response, gave you a thumbs up
2 Door makes it more valuable! I love the look of 2 door Jeeps. 2Wd isn't bad if you don't off-road. You could always convert it into 4wd.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
96JeepCherokeee

from the few threads i have read about conversion, it seems that you will usually spend much more on the conversion labor/parts then it would be to buy a 4x4, unless i read them all wrong. Specifically since i have little to no automotive mechanic skills, went to school to work with my brain and not my hands, lol. heck, i have never even changed my own oil, maybe a few times that im not recalling.
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96JeepCherokeee View Post
from the few threads i have read about conversion, it seems that you will usually spend much more on the conversion labor/parts then it would be to buy a 4x4, unless i read them all wrong. Specifically since i have little to no automotive mechanic skills, went to school to work with my brain and not my hands, lol. heck, i have never even changed my own oil, maybe a few times that im not recalling.
Pull an old axle and transmission off a 4wd Jeep. I'm pretty sure That's all it is. IMO the 4wd conversion would be worth it for a two door but That's just my prefrance. I love the look of a 2 door Cherokee.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.