Need opinions on a Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need opinions on a Jeep

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
nmiller015
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Need opinions on a Jeep

I'm gonna take a look at it this weekend. Here's the craiglist ad:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2929760600.html

Has 139000 on it, I guess it needs a NSS and a water pump, and the body has been beat up a little bit.

Some other pics:

I know of all the usual XJ things to look out for (coolent in the oil, rust, etc.). Anything else I should keep an eye out for? Thoughts on the jeep?

Thanks guys.

Unread 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
BigGreenoh9
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Leaks...only found mine after I bought it/drove it for an extended period of time (500 miles). The PO had it 2 months and didn't put any mileage on it

Good news tho, that they are now cured after about $20 and some wrenching time. I had: Front pinon seal, rear diff gasket, transmission pan, and rear output shaft seal. A friend who also recently bought a '97 has leaky axle seals. People say its not a Jeep if it doesn't leak, but it bothered me that mine left noticeable marks on my driveway after each trip. Now I'm happy.

Other things - depending on how the seller is desperate for cash, don't be afraid shoot him/her a low offer. I wasn't planning on buying the one I ended up with, but for the price I paid, I couldn't refuse

Good luck!
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
gazzerb

Can't believe how expensive they are in the states. In the uk they have bottomed due to huuuuuge petrol costs
For that cash you got get a totally mint xj 1999 with 60k leather and not a mark on her
gazzerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
gazzerb

Oh yeah and. In the uk they put the steering wheel on the right side ; )
gazzerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I thought the classics came with 16'' wheels
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

inside looks great nice and clean!
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
BlueBadger

I'd try to get him down to $1500. But it's a jeep so you know it'll last for ever with a little wrenching.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
dlancer
2003 KJ Liberty 

It really dosen't look that bad except for the drivers door. Drive it see how it runs, shifts, any smoke, funny noises, ect. Good luck.
dlancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Offer him a grand and take it for 1500.
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The guy says in the ad that the excuse for the side damage is that it is an 15 year old vehicle haha! Why do you need another Cherokee??
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Door is replaceable and you can bypass the NSS. $1500 seems fair, I wouldn't pay over that.

That being said, personally, I can't stand the look of it with the molding and everything being the same color. Looks cheap.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
Door is replaceable and you can bypass the NSS. $1500 seems fair, I wouldn't pay over that.

That being said, personally, I can't stand the look of it with the molding and everything being the same color. Looks cheap.
Agreed
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
nmiller015
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the opinions and knowledge guys, we settled for $1350, which I figured was a pretty good deal. It does need a water pump and the NSS needs to be cleaned or replaced. It has a rejection sticker because the reverse lights failed to come on (all bulbs and fuses are good). The body is not in perfect shape, dents and scraped all over, biggest one being that drivers-side rocker, I don't know what I'm gonna do about that. Its in fine mechanical shaped though, and at only 140k everything works as expected. it could probably use fluids and a battery though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSB View Post
The guy says in the ad that the excuse for the side damage is that it is an 15 year old vehicle haha! Why do you need another Cherokee??
Its for my younger brother, haha. He was with me for a small wheeling trip, was impressed, and said he wanted an XJ. I'm going to be doing 99% of the work on it though. He doesn't really know where to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

Yeah, I though $1350 was fair, considering the condition.

I don't know man I kinda like the look of the classics, have you seen KINGSB's? (^Right up there^) His is unreal clean. But we might have to get a new end-cap or two, so the red could possibly be broken up by some black. Also, how would you bypass the NSS? Doesn't it connect directly to the computer and control shift points, reverse lights and a bunch of other nonsense including the ignition? I don't see how you could just bypass it.
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller015 View Post
Its for my younger brother, haha. He was with me for a small wheeling trip, was impressed, and said he wanted an XJ. I'm going to be doing 99% of the work on it though. He doesn't really know where to start.
I think it's cool you're helping him, however make sure he helps and learns. I can't speak for everybody here, but I will speak for myself. I wasn't born with the knowledge of how to work on a vehicle and, other them some interesting experiences growing up, never really had anybody take me under their wing and get me started. It wasn't until I bought my Jeep and hanging out with guys who do 90% of their own wrenching that I started doing it.

The one thing that has surprised me about the XJ is there have been things I've put off because i was "afraid" of trying to tackle them myself for fear of breaking something (mine's a DD so I need it running by Monday morning). Every single project, so far, has been so easy that after I've been like "I was afraid of that, I'm a freakin' wimp." Luckily, that has given me the experience and confidence to do some decent stuff...
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, thats a pretty nice deal, did he say what happened to the side and front of it? Looks to me like it is an very early 1998, by the steering wheel, the interior looks clean at least!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.