Need new rear suspension or leaf springs!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need new rear suspension or leaf springs!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
hellbabies123

Need new rear suspension or leaf springs!!

So i have a xj and ive recently have been beating the hell out of the suspension. The leaf springs now are pretty much flat or maybe even a little bit negative. The rear shackles that are on it say it is a skyjacker 5.5 inch lift (jc55rs), the only problem is i dont know if that is right because the guy before me liked to mess with it alot. I need to know if there is a way you can tell exactly what size lift it is or what size lift you can put on with out messing with the drive train. Please help!! also if any other options please let me know!

hellbabies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lots and lots of options. As far as telling what you have, post a picture of your rig and include the size of tires.
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
HenryKrinkle
1988 XJ Cherokee 

There is a method to measure ride height from the top of the axles to a standard point on the body. There is a diagram of this floating around somewhere along with the stock measurements.

If you have stock fenders- the rear is supposed to be 17" from the center of your hub to the bottom of the flair. I'll keep digging for the other method...

ETA:

Found it:

http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/showthrea...l=1#post127604
HenryKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
hellbabies123

yeah well i have 32s on it and what i just wanna know is if there is a way to measure an unknown lift. or if there is a big difference between different sizes like a 4 to 6 and if the drive train would need to be extended.
thanks
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

SYE/ CV driveshaft or T-case drop at 4", longer control arms/ LCA drops, longer brakelines. at 3" all you need is longer brakelines and longer shocks, you can run the stock arms but it will limit your flex= arms hit the shock mount.

you can measure your lift SOMEWHAT accurately. stock measurment says that the XJ sits 17" from lowest point of frame rail to ground. at 3" lift and 31s i sit at 23", you can try throwing stock size tires on your XJ and measure that way OR calculate the tire size you have compared to stock size - 225/75 r15. thats the best i can think of.

get rid of the shackles, do a bastard pack from chevy s10 leafs (basically a new leaf pack), you can get 5" out of that. just remember anything over 3" gets really pricey.
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Measuring from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare works regardless of tire size. I did some measuring for somebody recently for people with trimmed flares (if yours are trimmed) Ill see if I can find the number to the lower bend in the body line of the quarter panel.

Edit:
Ah here they are... from the center of the hub to the lower bend in the body line should be 22.5" front, 25" rear, stock. So 5" of lift would be 27.5" front, 30" rear.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
kirbWJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
Measuring from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare works regardless of tire size. I did some measuring for somebody recently for people with trimmed flares (if yours are trimmed) Ill see if I can find the number to the lower bend in the body line of the quarter panel.

Edit:
Ah here they are... from the center of the hub to the lower bend in the body line should be 22.5" front, 25" rear, stock. So 5" of lift would be 27.5" front, 30" rear.
why not measure from the frame rails?
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbWJ View Post
why not measure from the frame rails?
Frame rails to the axle? Because that requires lying on the ground.. I can measure from the hub to flare (and hub to body line) in 10 seconds without any effort. And the hub to flare is the standard way of measuring ride height, so I just moved the reference point up to allow for trimmed fenders.

I could measure the frame to axle if you really want I suppose.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
hellbabies123

ok well do u think i will have any problems then just swapping out the leaf springs?
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
Frame rails to the axle? Because that requires lying on the ground.. I can measure from the hub to flare (and hub to body line) in 10 seconds without any effort. And the hub to flare is the standard way of measuring ride height, so I just moved the reference point up to allow for trimmed fenders.

I could measure the frame to axle if you really want I suppose.
Only problem with your method is it does not work if you have trimmed fenders or modified flares or no flares.

The Dirty Method
Alright, for those of you with cut-up fenders (who knows, I may be there one day, once my XJ becomes a trail rig), here is measuring your ride height the "dirty method":

Checking Front Ride Height

Measure front ride height with the vehicle unloaded (no luggage or passengers) and with the fuel tank full.

Place the vehicle on a level surface and measure the veryical distance between the top of the axle tube (A) and the underside of the frame sill (B). Refer to Figure 1 for driver's side measurement and Figure 2 for passenger side measurement. Be sure each measurement is taken from the top of the tube and not from the axle or shift motor housings.

With Standard or Soft Ride Suspension, vertical distance should be 17 cm (6-3/4 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch). With Heavy Duty Suspension, vertical distance should be 20 cm (7-3/4 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch).

Checking Rear Ride Height

Measure rear ride height with the vehicle unloaded (no luggage or passengers) and with the fuel tank full.

Place the vehicle on a level surface and measure the vertical distance between the top of the axle tube (C) and the underside of the frame sill (D) inboard of the jounce bumper (E).

With Standard or Soft Ride Suspension, vertical distance should be 15 cm (6 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch). With Heavy Duty Suspension, vertical distance should be 18 cm (7 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch).

*Note: Fig. 3 refers to MJ suspension, but is very similar to XJ.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
Only problem with your method is it does not work if you have trimmed fenders or modified flares or no flares.
uhh... yeah it does.

What about hub to bend in body line do you not understand... Here is a diagram. I added in a measure from the line to the top of the front fender, just incase people have severely trimmed fenders.

_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
help needed , leafsprings , lifts , skyjacker , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.