Need new headers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Need new headers

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Need new headers

4 L 1999 and mine are cracked.. Assuming its causing the rough idle for the first minute or so after starting. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CRQ...r=1-12&pi=SL75
Has anyone heard of this brand? Definetly cheaper but anythjng is better than whats on there now. Is springing an extra 2-300 really worth the higher brands?

Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Try to get one with the expansion joints in it, they are less likely to crack.

On my TJ, I will be swapping my banks for a newer TJ 2 piece manifold.

Most of the expensive "headers" are still prone to cracking.

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you have an agenda you arent sharing, that one will work fine. In a stock application you will rarely see 10 cents worth of difference between tubular exhausts. For the record, I am not a fan of expansion joints in headers. It has been my experience that motor mounts are the root cause of most cracking and when upgraded, generally eliminate the problem.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah ill be using those headers with a iro baffled cat back, should sound a ton better then it does right now, feels like the manifold on there rn is draining power!
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That looks a lot like the APN header from ineedparts.com. The APN header is a decent part for a reasonable price. As suggested, you should also replace the motor mounts. I have installed 2 of the APN and both work well.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
fourlow
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a similar one thats made by Dorman. I got tired of dropping money on headers that would eventually crack anyways. The last set I went through were Rugged Ridge. They made it about 3 years before cracking worse then i've ever seen.

Im happy with the Dorman right now. They appear to be well made, and come with a flange gasket and manifold gasket. I suggest upgrading to better gaskets though.
JeepersandCreepers Bored out TB
GDI 3 core radiator
Flowkooler Water Pump

Suspension:
RE 3.5" (actual about 4 inches) 6030 SUPER-FLEX, RE1600 Adjustable Track Bar

Wheels/Tires:
Rock Crawler 152 Series, 3.75 Backspacing
31inch BFG MT's
fourlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
That looks a lot like the APN header from ineedparts.com. The APN header is a decent part for a reasonable price. As suggested, you should also replace the motor mounts. I have installed 2 of the APN and both work well.
X2

I have a APN for my 99 quality is great, I did have mine ceramic coated. I hope to install it with in the next week or two . Be warned on 99 XJ's you have to grind down the bottom the the #6 runner on the intake for it to fit properly !

And I would replace the engine mounts while your in there also I just replaced both of mine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.